My Old Alaska Hunt Pictures

Here's a 'bou from '98.

Gus
1290985032_1998_clearence_lake_camp0033.jpg

Here are a few more pictures from the same '98 hunt. I shot a nice 'bou shown in the post above, during that same trip we had a grizzly going through camp in the middle of the night and my son and nephew were not comfortable with the bear wandering around outside their tent at night. The day that I shot the caribou we made it back to camp just as it was getting dark and lo and behold there was a griz at the meat poles. She started walking away and I ran up the top of the little ridge that our camp sits on and she had already turned and started making her way back to the meat poles and only about 20 yards away from me. One shot from my 375 H&H in the spine and it was over. The boys slept a little easier that night.

Took a nice moose that year too, and I wasn't the only one in camp that was successful. My son had recently returned from Saudi and gotten out of the army, good to have him home and out hunting with us. We took 4 moose, 1 caribou and 1 grizzly.

Gus
1291015909_1998_clearence_lake_camp0002.jpg

1291015076_1998_clearence_lake_camp0016.jpg

1291015382_1998_clearence_lake_camp0036.jpg

1291015114_1998_clearence_lake_camp0029.jpg

Wow. I saw your buggys in Petersens 4wheel and off road a couple of years ago and thought they were awesome pieces of equipment. I have no use for something like that here but wanted one any way. It is even cooler to see what they do and all the awesome hunts that they have made possible. Congrats and I cant wait to get up to Alaska one of these years for a big moose and or caribou. Especially after seeing this thread.

Speedo,
I noticed you guys were using blued/walnut rifles. What kind of care did they get to make sure nothing bad happened (rust etc.) while hunting out in the bush? Do you ever plan to switch to stainless/synthetic?

Speedo,
I noticed you guys were using blued/walnut rifles. What kind of care did they get to make sure nothing bad happened (rust etc.) while hunting out in the bush? Do you ever plan to switch to stainless/synthetic?

They are wiped down and oiled frequently, but I hate to think what the moisture has done to the stocks while we were out hunting. We are switching to stainless/synthetic. My wife has a Remington 700, 300 saum, RMEF version, and I currently have a 700, 300 RUM stainless SPS that I plan on making a few simple upgrades to. I also have a 338-378 Weatherby Accumark on the way. I plan on keeping the 375 H&H but will change it to a synthetic stock and get some kind of coating on it to make it more weather resistant.

Gus

Here's a picture of my wife and the bull she took in '06. First though I need to tell you a bit about my wife. After we had been together for a short time she decided that she wanted to work in a skilled trade for a variety of reasons so she set off to learn a trade. She attended the University of Alaska Anchorage Auto/Diesel program and while she worked her way through the program she used each section to apply what she was learning as a way to build her own hunting buggy. Engines, power trains, electrical, chassis and welding all provided the opportunity to advance her moose buggy. When it was all said and done she had spent nearly five years building a buggy and a career. Though the schooling had only lasted two years that had only provided a stepping stone to a career, employment continued her skills. Hunting had provided her the motavation and her career path provided her the means to an end.

In 1992 her buggy made its maiden voyage and that year really made her and her buggy prove their worth but that is another story.

Gus
1291855224_2006_hunt_075.jpg

Once we have a moose skinned and gutted we like to hang them overnight before we quarter them. While they are hanging we cut them down the spine so that we have the two halves hanging from the spreader. Cutting a moose down the middle of the spine with a hand saw is a lot of work. Then we cut each half in half and let the front quarter, which is now bagged, drop to a clean tarp. Once it's fully qoartered and bagged we drive down to the meat poles, which are now 15' or more in the air, to hang the meat away from the bears. Here's a pic of one getting cut in half.

Gus
1291855272_2006_hunt_084.jpg

Time to throw another picture into the mix. Just prior to packing everything to head back home, if the weather cooperates we set out the trophys from the hunt for a couple of pictures. Here is such a picture from our 2006 moose hunt .

Gus
1291855126_2006_hunt_157.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.