my Mountain Rifle choice

I like 6.5 and .338 bullets for their high BC's. In 6.5, I have a 6.5x55 and in .338 I have a .330 Dakota. Right now, the 6.5 is seeing more use because it's more fun to shoot and off the shelf ammo is much cheaper. I would probably only bring the .330 if I was in an area that running into big brown furry things is a very high possibility.

I have a 300 win mag X Bolt that shoots .5's with 180 NAB's. Love the gun and size/weight. Only one word of caution....I have lost 2 magazines in the brush. The plastic lever detaches very easily. I use a piece of tape now, but was very upset after climbing all morning to get to my spot and only have 1 bullet!!

Is it my imagination to say FINALLY looks like someone put the same rate twist on the bolt as the barrel fluting?? looks awesome...
Food for budget minded thought. We (Chris with long range customs) took a used factory tikka 300wsm. Pulled the barrel, bolt and had them spiral fluted, a little milling on the receiver, cut the barrel to 22"s, 3 port brake. Left the factory stock......Mcmillan's hunters edge would drop it 7oz.....
With View attachment 107243 a VX3i it weighs
7 pounds 3 ounces. Ran a 200gr nab with rl 16 at just shy of 3000fps. It's at 1moa and we have just started load development. Looks like it's going to settle in the low 2900's. Pretty cool for something that's affordable for a lot of people.

Can't wait to get your thoughts and feedback on the Browning post hunt. I once had a A-bolt Mountain Ti in 300 WSM. It traveled with me on two high country hunts in Idaho. Perfect rifle for the task at the time. Wish I still had that one!

Speaking of Twist Rates... my new 6.5 CMX-Bolt Pro has a 1:7 twist which, compared to the 1:8 twist seen on most other 6.5 CM rifles seems very fast.

So, I guess I'll be shooting 140 grain bullets and higher. OK with me as long as everything is stable from the muzzle to 1,000 yards. I'll put paper at 960 yards at my range when I sight it in and hope to see nice little round holes.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I've been looking at these Browning X-Bolt Pro rifles as well. Completely agree they have just about everything going for them, especially considering the price!

Scope would be an easy choice for me... Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44. But I have had superior results with several VX6HD's and a VX5HD. Maybe I've gotten lucky, but these scopes sure perform, and hold point of impact.

Very interested in hearing how your rifle shoots!

Food for budget minded thought. We (Chris with long range customs) took a used factory tikka 300wsm. Pulled the barrel, bolt and had them spiral fluted, a little milling on the receiver, cut the barrel to 22"s, 3 port brake. Left the factory stock......Mcmillan's hunters edge would drop it 7oz.....
With View attachment 107243 a VX3i it weighs
7 pounds 3 ounces. Ran a 200gr nab with rl 16 at just shy of 3000fps. It's at 1moa and we have just started load development. Looks like it's going to settle in the low 2900's. Pretty cool for something that's affordable for a lot of people.
Man that's a nice rifle

Weatherby still makes the ultra lightweight rifle at 5 3/4 lbs. and also make it in titanium under 5 lbs. Maybe if they had named it a mountain rifle it would catch more attention.

I've always liked the x-bolt line but for some reason they never stay in my safe very long, these new ones, especially the pro's look very appealing!! I also had a A-Bolt ti in 270 wsm, I will always regret selling that rifle.