My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Looks great!!! Those loaded rounds look evil. I have found Remington brass to tend to be softer than all except hrdy ( they started making it in house). Not sure on the RSAUM or RUM as I have not used those in Rem brand. Not my first choice but if its what I had I prepped and shot it.

Looks like once the barrel is "broken in" and you have some Bertram cases you will be max 2800 fps with RL17 and the 250 EH. You might gain 50ps after you get some down the tube. See what you get for a max load after you get 100 or so down the tube.

Given the bore to powder ratio you are looking at very long barrel life i.e 4K+ The Norma Mags are 3K+ for the SS barrels if you take care of them.

Well seeing this I am believing a 375SS using the 260 AB really can hit 2600+ out of a 24". As vel for weight of bullet goes up with bore size this really seems doable WOW. The 375 H&H vel for the 260AB 24" low 2450 fps high 2800 fps basically 70-80 grains of powder to reach those vel.

Looking forward to seeing what accuracy you get from your tuned load.

Wonder how Rel26 would do? Its slow but its bulk density is high. 26s bulk density is so high you can pack a bunch in the case.

In the WinMag rl26 was not great for the lighter or low engraving force monos like the 225 TTSX bullets where Rl17 seemed to work best of the two. But in the 250s it seems to really take off witth lots of room for more which made me think of a full case 338SS..

High end saum brass is rare in Canada, I could get Norma for $4 a piece but would like to hold out for the ADG. I have 100 Remington to play with so I don't mind if I end up loading past their max while testing.

While I wait for a replacement magnetospeed I'll drop back down to around 60-61 and get some trigger time on paper. I have some superformance as well but I'll wait for the new chrono to do a max test with it.

Here's my last few shots, starting at the left is 60,61,62,62.5,63 grains of RL17. Extractor marks all lined up at the 6 poition. Bolt lift started to get a bit stiff at 62. Next time I do these I'll chrono them.
up to 63.jpg

Having to post these short blurbs so that I can upload attachments since I'm new. Sorry :(

Dang Doc! You sure know how to take off running! Docs rifle was throated out somewhat so he could take advantage of the Tikka action. Looks like it worked! Here is a pic he sent me while I was up on the mtn fire forming some Sherman ADG brass. I don't know which load it was, but this is what he talking about.
338 group doc galan:250.jpg

I believe that was the W760 61gr load. I'll be cleaning brass tomorrow but hopefully have more data soon :)

Have you tried a non-magnum primer yet? ~60 grains of medium burn rate powder doesn't strike me as a load that would need it, especially in a short fat like the SS..

Recent Posts