Most Wicked Long Range Wildcat Debate!

Hows back blast shooting that thing? Thats a thick barrel!!

No more than any other rifle with a brake.

However . . . if it is not tightened fully, that is tilted down to the right she sure clears the limestone from the shooting area.:D

As soon as we get some snow on the sage brush I'll vid the effects to the sides.:D

It'll be interesting to compare the 270 AM and 375 AM patterns.:cool:

My buddy is taking a 338Norma DTS built and accurized by Bryan Litz at AB and Mark at Short Action Customs. Litz made the 300 gr Ammo and consulted with Mark on the headspacing etc etc etc. It has a custom aftermarket barrel relieving gun of its factor Walther barrel and its helical fluted by Karl Kampfeld. It is a sweet piece of machinery.

The gun is shooting, so says Bryan, 1/2moa at 300 yards moving in the 2750 range at the chrono. Bryan made those rounds out of OTM's and we will trying them out in Hollister CA on some swine at over a G Valentines weekend.

I will be using Litz custom 230gr OTM's out of my 300wm AICS. The brown is gonna hit the ground from as long range as we can laze and execute!

Wish us luck!

I have 2 Normas of which your talking.They are the smallest really of the super mags,but efficient to shoot.Mine carries #1000 energy to 1800 yrds.I have a packer and a shooter,both full custom.

Attachments

• WP 800 goat.jpg
    WP 800 goat.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 85
seemed like a good place to post this question even though this is an old thread, But just curious what you guys think is the better long range rifle in the sense of power and how portable it is.

The 375 AM or any 375 408 improved with a gain twist barrel shooting the large 400 grain cutting edge bullets.

Or the 338 terminator +p in the lrkm design shooting the 300 grain berger bullets. I know the 375 will create more energy but does the lrkm make up for it in better shootability (not sure if that's a word) but you know what I mean. Or is there something better?

We just took delivery of our second LRKM in 338 Terminator +P. They pack easy in a backpack scabbard. I have shot mine to 2971 yards and pretty much held 1 moa. My wife loves the LRKM and has taken a couple elk and a mule deer with mine and does not want to hunt with my other rifles. Her words after killing her first Bull at 765 yards was " This is the easiest rifle to shoot you have ever owned"

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Got a new project underway that works on the 408 Chey Tac boltface .....
Necked down to .375 cal, 585 Hubel Express cases have 188 gr h20 capacity and Quick Design shows 192 gr when fire formed .....

Have a 33" 7 twist 8r Rock Creek Chey Tac contour barrel in my hands and working on acquiring a suitable action .....

The 375 WARLORD reamer has been ordered.....
(along with the 416 Destroyer, also on the 585 HE case)......
Specs are for running 375 gr & 400 gr Cutting Edge MTH & MTAC bullets ....
Case capacity is equal to the 375 Viersco Mag case but with a 408 CT rim diameter ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 90
585 HE case Necked down to 375 cal, fire forming will fill out top of body & shoulder angle .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 85
swamplord what do you think the velocity capability of that cartridge is going to be and what is barrel life going to be like.

Broz what do you think the barrel life is on the terminator? do you think your terminator gives up much to a large 375 or is it all the gun you want?

Broz what do you think the barrel life is on the terminator? do you think your terminator gives up much to a large 375 or is it all the gun you want?

I am hoping for 1200 to 1500 rounds and still .5 moa. But time will tell. I have 300+ down the tube and the throat has not moved much at all with my load at 3140 fps. and a 300 Berger.

It is all the gun I need, but that does not mean I would not want a .375. I look for some good hunting bullets with very high BC's to come out one day for the 375. When that happens I may not be able to resist. But for now I am very happy with the .338 and realize the savings in powder allow me to shoot more.

Jeff

Me thinks things may be getting up towards the area of impractical regarding "wickedist".

I have a great shooting 375 Allen Magnum. She's pushing 350 CEBs @ 3300 with ease into groups which meet the builder's specs. I spent plenty of gut wrenching time with tools I'm not used to using to get her down from 19 pounds to the 16# Idaho BG limit. 15.94 pounds it simply a bit much for a rifle that will not extend distance much further that the 300 grain 338 offerings in a very practical mountain hunting rig.

All things considered I'm thinking that Broz is spot on with his LRKMs. (The dude has access to 2 of 'em :roll eyes:)

To have the loudest "boom" on the mountain and fragmenting fairly large rocks is pretty much a rush but for taking game for practical hunting conditions the extra cost of the build and inconvenience of lugging the big girl around (I hired a pack animal to carry it) a light carry rig in 338 something and especially the LRKM for major convenience is about as good as its going to get for a long while.

A 10 twist 375 barrel, at least mine, will stabilize only 2 out of 8 shots at over 1K. The funny thing is the 6 that stabilize went into 0.60 MOA. What's with that?

Had to drop to the 350 grain CEBs so if I load reasonably to say 3200 MV all I have is 50 more grains of thump over Broz's LRKM. :rolleyes:

Is it worth it. Oh yea! :Dgun):D

I knew you were going to chime in and cast your vote for the 375 AM, i donno based on Mr.Allen's #'s the 338 AM out runs the 375 AM in energy at 1800+ yards. :D gun)(BOOM!)
P.O. Ackely designed a round,nicknamed loudboomingearspliten 22 bullet in a necked down 300 H&H case. Barrel life was short and speed was 4000+.

It was actually a .378 Weatherby necked down to .22 caliber and was called a eargesplitten loudenboomer. The velocity was over 5000fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts