Mk5hd vs NXS

I've got both and sold a March to get another nx8. All are great optics but I can see zero difference in my nx8 and mark 5hd glass.

I much prefer the moar reticle and nightforce reliability, so that's what I'm spending my money on with anymore future optic purchases

Definitely agree with proven reliability with the NF. Still too early to say with the Mark 5HD....but so far it's been impressive. Here's a quick pic. ATACR and the Mark 5HD. My only real complaint is the length of the HD5. Wish it was a little shorter like the ATACR

Attachments

• 61FFF8CF-895B-48F3-A513-26423F7D4C64.jpeg
    61FFF8CF-895B-48F3-A513-26423F7D4C64.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 168
I've got both and sold a March to get another nx8. All are great optics but I can see zero difference in my nx8 and mark 5hd glass.

I much prefer the moar reticle and nightforce reliability, so that's what I'm spending my money on with anymore future optic purchases
What about "tunneling" in the NX8 and 8x zoom ratio? Is it noticeable to the point its annoying?

Reliability issues with Leupold? I have owned or own over 50 Leupold scopes over the years (beginning in 1968). I only sent one in for warranty work and it was broken when I bought it. Only owned a few NXS Nightforce but never any issues.

Reliability issues with Leupold? I have owned or own over 50 Leupold scopes over the years (beginning in 1968). I only sent one in for warranty work and it was broken when I bought it. Only owned a few NXS Nightforce but never any issues.

I agree.

The Mark5 isn't a new scope. It's been around for almost 2 years. I suspect if there was issue with it they would be pretty well know by now.
I have a 5-25 and it's been outstanding so far. I can't compare to any NF scope as I've never owned one. The glass has always seemed so-so to me especially for the price so I've never bought one.

For what it's worth I've had the Mark 5 3.8-18x44 for two years now and it has performed flawlessly. I'm not a competition shooting just a hunter that has taken to long range. Probably have 600-700 rounds down range with it out of a 7 rem mag. Awesome scope, holds zero perfect. Mountain mule deer is my thing so I hunt a lot of steep slippery country. Took two gnarly tumbles this fall landing on my gun, was worried about knocking my scope off, no issues held zero perfect. The turret design with zero stop and rev indicator is my favorite thing about it. I can reach back and feel if my turret was turned back to zero. Glass quality is good enough to where it's never crossed my mind wanting any better. No experience with nightforce

The glass in the Leupold is equal to the ATACR or Beast,I am one of Leupold,s PRS shooters and have tested the Mark 5 line of scopes from the beginning. I have had no issues with the turrets or tracking with thousands of turns on the turrets. It is a great scope for the money.I used a mark 5 for this years elk season in Colorado with no issues ,840 yard shot.range,dial shoot

I'm happy to hear the Mk5 feedback. I just purchased one with the illuminated PR-1 moa reticle after comparing it to an NX8 2.5x20. Ive owned other Leupolds without issue but never had a NF and I started out intent on the NX8. After gathering as much feedback as I could find from owners of both, the most common concern w the NX8 seemed to be a tight eyebox and some edge clarity at mid magnification due to the 8x erector. The mk5 is slightly lighter, and I had to find some 35mm rings (Vortex Precision Matched) for the thicker tube. It came with the sun shade extension and plastic lens caps in the box. Very happy with the glass, and the zero return is excellent. As mentioned above, the windage zero mark at 10oclock is a bit weird. Its early days, and im still working up a load (300wsm) so no long range experience with it yet, but so far i'm happy with it. The Mk5 was also more expensive than the NX8 here in BC.

Guess they were closer then I thought weight wise. Thought the mk5 was 24oz. Maybe still best to go nxs at 20oz.

I won a MK5 and it is back at Leupold,
Reticle has a slight cant, about3° to the right. To what I can figure,level on bottom of scope housing where the erector sits level on top of turret and a plumb bob at 15 yards.
They assured me that I am wrong but they have had it for 2.5 months.

It is a nice scope and if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I won a MK5 and it is back at Leupold,
Reticle has a slight cant, about3° to the right. To what I can figure,level on bottom of scope housing where the erector sits level on top of turret and a plumb bob at 15 yards.
They assured me that I am wrong but they have had it for 2.5 months.

It is a nice scope and if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.
When night force has sold as many scopes as leupold have then people can really be able to honestly compare scopes until then it seems it's not a fair comparison I own both without problems with either one definitely owned more leupold from late 70s to today. David

What about "tunneling" in the NX8 and 8x zoom ratio? Is it noticeable to the point its annoying?

I don't have any issues with tunneling or the eye box. I mounted them with the proper eye relief so I find them very fast to get behind.

Only con is the side focus is fast, meaning that you don't have to turn it much to make a big difference.

It took a little getting used too but I kind of like the fast adjustment now.

Foolishness. We compare present products with present products to get real world info.

When night force has sold as many scopes as leupold have then people can really be able to honestly compare scopes until then it seems it's not a fair comparison I own both without problems with either one definitely owned more leupold from late 70s to today. David

Foolishness is you thinking you have a clue how many scopes are sold everyday by each company and trying to come up with a percentage of returned product from any company 10 percent of leupolds sales are bound more than night force so I agree probably they have more returns if you look at the bottom line leupolds could probaby buy out night force and shut it down and still stay in business themselves. David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.