NXS vs VX5HD

PDC Blackhawk

Need some advice on a scope for my new 6.5 x 300 weatherby. Want to stay close to ~ 20oz range will be taking it sheep hunting next fall. Narrowed it down to a used NXS compact 2.5 x 10 42 vs a VX5HD 3 x 15 44 .
Spent a lot of time reading the forms being new here.
Advantages for NXS
1. Durable
2. Repeatable
Advantages 5HD
1. More power
2. Some same bright glass
Any advice would be great!
Thanks

You might want to consider the reticles too. Especially if the ranges might be a little long and wind is expected. You might find you want to dial for elevation and hold for wind with the reticle.
The NSX probably already has a MOA reticle. I would verify that for sure.
The VX5 can be had with the Leupold Wind-Plex reticle that will allow dialing and holding for wind.
The VX6 mentioned above would be great as Leupold has an illuminated TMOA for it.

As far as glass goes on the scopes mentioned by the OP I would give the edge to the VXHD(same glass in the VX-5HD & VX-6HD), it is brighter and more clear than all my NXS glass and on par or better that 1st gen ATACR.
As far as rugged and repeatability goes....we all know the NXS wins. The glass is not "bad" by any means but there is better available. If you are worried about falling and scope failure then go NXS.
If it were a once in a lifetime hunt I would go with the NXS, especially if you haven't walked miles and miles of shale or aren't too sure footed, and bring walking sticks.

It is a little heavier but the Zeiss V6 3-18 might be a good option or something in the Swaro range. My 6.5 wears that scope. I am not sure what you are planning for mounting it but am running a Warne MountainTech 20MOA rail with Seekins 30mm low rings.

How does the March compare to the NXS for durability & repeatability? Sounds like they have great glass.
From everything I can find ( I'm getting ready to buy one ) Tracking is spot on and better then the Leupolds, glass is better then anything you mentioned, and I have not found one thing bad about durability. They are more $

"March is one of the best scopes mechanically speaking that there is."

That is from Alex Wheeler of Wheeler Accuracy in a previous thread;
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/leupold-vx6hd-or-march.209843/

The March is also a very compact scope, especially the turrets when compared to an NXS
opplanet-nightforce-5-5-22x50-nxs-tactical-zerostop-250-moa-moar-reticle-c433-v-main.jpg

c9ca4a6efb75dc057fb2a5352d5593af75896452.jpg

I can only speak for the VX6HD and that scope is badass. I've backpack hunted with this scope for a few years now and trust me it's durable. It's mounted on a braked lightweight 338rum that tore apart the Vortex AMG twice.

Just this year alone I carried this rifle/VH6HD over 100 miles through Colorado's roughest wilderness and ended up shooting a nice 6x6 at 1125 yards. If the VX5 is on your radar don't be afraid to give it a try.

I have a 3-15x56 VX5HD on my 270 wsm that I hunted with this fall. It took an absolute beating and held zero. In fact, when i was packing out my muley with my Tenzing 4000 and the 270wsm strapped to the back, my straps kept coming loose and the scope kept smacking into the antlers. I had an elk hunt a week later and thought for sure the scope was going to be off, when I ran up to the range to check it, it was still dead on.

VXHD line is definitely one to check out. Pretty sure there will be some good deals on VXHD scope come black Friday.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.