Mcmillan bedding job gone wrong

I think the Smith who did this is going go make it right. Word of mouth gets us most of our business. Word of mouth can lose you just as much. He may had a helper and didn't even see it before it left. But I know he will do what's right. All the op has to do is show him this thread. Let's give the Smith a mustard seed of faith. Shep

One thing to note the OP didn't want to do his first bedding job on a $650 stock. I don't blame him one bit. It would take some big stones to use that stock for my first bed job. My first bedding job was on a factory walnut stock.

I had the gunsmith here at okeechobee shooting sports did a full bedding on my ruger American in .243 in a Boyd's gun stock. 5 rounds at 100yards. I blinked for that one round that hit low. It was well worth the $225.00 I spent to have to have this done. I cannot get the rifle photo to post.

I had the gunsmith here at okeechobee shooting sports did a full bedding on my ruger American in .243 in a Boyd's gun stock. 5 rounds at 100yards. I blinked for that one round that hit low. It was well worth the $225.00 I spent to have to have this done. I cannot get the rifle photo to post.
West of Fort Pierce I have shot there I'm from PSL now live in Tennessee I have a buddy that I still go visit down there and we go shooting when we can

Just got my rifle back from the gunsmith. I had my tikka t3 .308 bedded in a Mcmillan gamehunter stock. When I got home and disassembled the stock I was lets just say angry. It appears an needless amount of material was removed from an already fully inleted stock and now there is a gap between my action and the stock where my bolt closes. I also spent over an hour cleaning compound off the barrel and even inside the action had serious debrie and all of this for the bargin price of $130. I would love some opinions on this because I am taking it back looking for a labor refund and the cost of a now worthless stock that I cant even resell in its current condition.
That looks butchered ! Unacceptable. I don't blame you for being livi
Just got my rifle back from the gunsmith. I had my tikka t3 .308 bedded in a Mcmillan gamehunter stock. When I got home and disassembled the stock I was lets just say angry. It appears an needless amount of material was removed from an already fully inleted stock and now there is a gap between my action and the stock where my bolt closes. I also spent over an hour cleaning compound off the barrel and even inside the action had serious debrie and all of this for the bargin price of $130. I would love some opinions on this because I am taking it back looking for a labor refund and the cost of a now worthless stock that I cant even resell in its current condition.

I would make him pay for shipping and an new stock and ship you gun to McMillan and have them do the full montey. So sorry I will send you pictures of my McMillan A5 I just did. The stock was great just looking for that married fit. I did not have to remove any thing or buff up the action inlet.

That's great. I'm glad he took responsibility for that. Word of mouth is your best advertising as long as it's good words. I'll still bed it for you if you want.
Shep

That's great. I'm glad he took responsibility for that. Word of mouth is your best advertising as long as it's good words. I'll still bed it for you if you want.
Shep
Greatly appreciated but a replacement is on the way. I left the old stock there in exchange for the new one.

If there is a gunsmith that could repair/restore this mess I would be very interested in shipping this to them
I am no gunsmith but this looks like an angry beaver got loos on your stock

I do however do my own stock work

This is what I started with
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_bef.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c41.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c3e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c3e.jpg

This is few weeks down the road

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_cb0.jpg

So to answer your question yes it can be fixed
Big question is how much
Best advice do it your self you have nothing to loose

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c51.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c51.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 194
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.