Lower velocity 375 bullet recommendation

marksman1941

I recently built a 375/308 and have been smitten by it. It's just flat cool. I'm new to anything large bore, and am realizing that the bullet choices are fairly minimal. A lot of the forum posts I dredge up quote bullets that arent Produced anymore which is tough.

My goal for the rifle is a close range black bear stomper, so I'd like a bullet that will hold together on a bear skull at point blank range (prep for the worst). The rifle currently shoots 270gr speer btsp at 2300fps, but everything I have read says the btsp is pretty soft to expect it to hold up to that. The 300gr bullets are pretty slow out of those setup, so 270 is the max I'd like to go.

It seems current production options are;
270 speer btsp, Hornady spire point, Barnes TSX
260gr nosler e tip, partition (impossible to find)
250gr Hornady CX, Sierra gameking, Barnes TTSX, swift a frame
235gr speer hotcor, Barnes tsx
200gr Sierra prohunter

Any suggestion on the best bullet for this application? I'll probably take a few deer with the Speer load I have just for kicks, but I don't have much experience with the bigger bullets at close range.

I shot the .375 JDJ in an Encore for awhile, I can tell you the 270 grain Speer will shed jackets. However, I'm sure it'll still kill both BB and deer easily. I settled on the 260 grain NAB with that rifle. However, I shot enough of the Hornady 270 grain that I'd not hesitate to use it.

If I could find the 260 AB that seems like the bees knees for an all arounder. I could likely get it up to 2350-2400 at the muzzle.

Did you shoot any game with the Hornady 270? Those shot well for me too, and I have no problem swapping from the Speer (or using Speer for practice/blacktail only)

Yes, a hard quartering away shot on a pronghorn buck at 275 yards. Entered forward of the hip joint and exited the offside shoulder. I never recovered the bullet so I can't tell you what it looked like. It was a decent wound channel to say the least.

I use an asphalt board for a backer at the range I go to. I found the 270 grain Speer bullet jackets laying on the dirt behind the target backer. So thats why I say they'll lose the jacket, but that doesn't mean they won't kill. That's still a big chunk of lead to stop, and I wouldn't be afraid to use them for BB and deer.

Yes, a hard quartering away shot on a pronghorn buck at 275 yards. Entered forward of the hip joint and exited the offside shoulder. I never recovered the bullet so I can't tell you what it looked like. It was a decent wound channel to say the least.

I use an asphalt board for a backer at the range I go to. I found the 270 grain Speer bullet jackets laying on the dirt behind the target backer. So thats why I say they'll lose the jacket, but that doesn't mean they won't kill. That's still a big chunk of lead to stop, and I wouldn't be afraid to use them for BB and deer.
I appreciate the experience and help

Those speers and the pro hunters are soft enough to work well at lower vel. With the 375 I do not see any issues if you make good shot placement. Black bears I have taken were not that tough.

Those speers and the pro hunters are soft enough to work well at lower vel. With the 375 I do not see any issues if you make good shot placement. Black bears I have taken were not that tough.
They aren't tough critters. I tend to overthink and overplan this sorta thing.

This whole rifle build started from my brother calling and saying he "had a wounded bear in the brush, bring a big rifle and come help me find it". My goal was a close range hammer. I'd like to find a load that would hold up to a bear skull at basically point blank range, but still have decent expansion at 200 yards for regular hunting purposes.

Fury Bullets 220 bonded spitzer.
Maker Bullets TREX 175, 200, and 225gr.
Peregrine 230, 250, and 270 Plainsmaster.
Hawk has a pile from 180gr to 300, Round Tip, Spitzer, Flat Nose.

Tony

The 38-55 and 375 Winchester are great black bear and moose cartridges. They are most effective with relatively soft cast or cup and core 240 to 265 grain bullets. They are travelling slightly slower than your 375/08, depending on bullet weight. At lower velocity you want something that will open up properly. A 22 RF will penetrate a bears skull, so the 375/08 will do it easily. Even in my 375 Ruger I like the Hornady 270 grain Interlocks every bit as good as the TSX. For bear I actually prefer the Hornady.