Looking forward to cooler temperatures to resume shooting

MarkInPA

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum. I have put my shooting on hold because of if being so hot. We have had a string of 90 degree temperatures with high humidity. Not only do I not like it for comfort reasons, I just don't believe it does any good when you are testing reloads. Especially, if you are going to be hunting in late fall, early winter when the temperatures are going to be cooler. I think that when you are shooting in high heat that your barrel gets that much hotter and much more difficult to cool back down in between shots. Not sure if the ammo heats up to. I'm not an expert on powder burning characteristics, but I do believe it burns differently under different temperature conditions. Not sure how much truth there is in it but, I've heard of benchrest shooters keeping their ammo in coolers until they are ready to use it. Sure am looking forward to cooler temperatures so that I can resume my shooting. Maybe I need to shift focus to shooting my handguns.

I'm in the same boat. All but 2 9f my rifles I load for hunting. Doesn't make much since to load develop in 90 degree weather when hunting in a much cooler climate. Don't have to worry about elevation since it's the next state. Right now it's 75 and threatening to rain but if in an hour it hasn't, I'm heading to the range.

Some people like to test their reloads on the hottest days of the year to make sure the loads are not overpressure. Of course different powders react differently to temperature swings. However, I agree with you, that when it gets too hot, I stop testing loads for my hunting rifles. I don't even shoot prairie dogs until it cools down a little.

I was at the range last week at 6:00 AM. I forgot the range faces East. So I waited for almost an hour to start shooting. I drank my thermos of coffee and watched the antelope that hang out on the range and dare you to shoot at them. This weekend will be good for reloading, because the gun room is in the basement, where it's 10 degrees cooler.

I'm thinking about doing the same tomorrow morning. If I can pull myself out of bed. Our range faces the west, so I should be good. I thought about that too and took the time to figure out where the sun would be coming up. I would of enjoyed watching the antelope though. I could possibly see some deer at our range if they are up and moving.

This:

Along with ice water in a cooler and it's the best and cheapest barrel cooler I've seen.

It's very unpleasant shooting here in North Florida during July, August, and most of September. I try to shoot before it hits 90 degrees during these months which is a small window. Hunting in central Georgia the first month of deer season can be very warm so I do like testing my loads in the above mentioned temps. Fortunately the range benches are covered, shady, and plenty of fans. My rifles definitely heat up after a 3 round group.

I'm in the same boat. All but 2 9f my rifles I load for hunting. Doesn't make much since to load develop in 90 degree weather when hunting in a much cooler climate. Don't have to worry about elevation since it's the next state. Right now it's 75 and threatening to rain but if in an hour it hasn't, I'm heading to the range.
I would be happy with 75* we in a stretch of 100*+ and the heat index is nasty.