Looking for advice on building a custom rifle

nelson

Still interested in the 6-284 but I am not sure what platform to start with Ie:action barrel maker etc.. also who do you guys recommend for a gunsmith I have heard and read lots of good things about kirby allen. Any recommendations.. My only requirment is to end up with a kickass ultra long range varmint rig.. As of now all my thunder sticks are factory jobs tikka's m70 Stealth, XR 100 etc so I really am new to this custom thing...

Your questions asks for numerous possibilities.
Truly custom rifle action, Nesika, Bat, Stolle, and a few others are out their but the Rem 700 is hard to beat for cost and ease of accurizing, winchesters are also good. A well accurized rem 700 action although not as robust as the other actions has proven itself through benchrest shooting and also long range shooting matches. It is one of the most popular actions out their and loads of upgrades are available.
Barrel makers, Keirger, Hart, Douglas, Shilen, Lilja, Pacnor, Broughton, Mike Rock, Black Star, Lothar Walther, a loads more all good barrel maker none are in any order of sorts just all great barrels.
Gunsmiths, Kirby, Chris, GA Precision, Jiff Hicks, loads of them out their pick one you'll not go wrong with any of them.
Some calibers would be any of the smaller in dia Allen Magnums as usually varmint means smaller bullet diameter, 257 STW, 7mm STW, 25-06, 6.5-284, 260 rem, the list could go on and on.
Not all of my suggestions would make everyones top three list but all of them will get you good shooting rifles capable of doing what your asking of it.
JM2C
Dave

Varmicide,

The 6-284 is a great varmint round as is the 25-284. I have yet to have one of my 6mm-284s not average well under 1/2 moa and generally they are extremely tight shooting rifles.

If you want some more information on my shop drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

The 6-284 is a great round and a very impressive long range round as well when built correctly for this use.

Receivers to use are first off the Rem 700. The XR-100 is also a great platform but with the Long VLD and ULD bullets youmay need to pull the bolt to extract a live round if needed. The solid bottom receiver certainly has its advantages in strength and consistancy.

Kirby Allen(50)

hey there fellow Canuck, let's see if I can help.

Savage/Steven actions are great as a base. The Stevens 200 at SIR/Wholesale are dirt cheap. The Rem 700SPS also makes a good donor but $125 to 150 more. I am using a few Savage/Stevens actions for my LR BR rigs and have been very pleased with how they shoot.

If you want custom, PGW is your best option. Probably not too far from you either. Give them a shout. They can do a great install too. Lots of quality gunsmiths in Canada.

For barrels, you can look at Gaillard, Smith, McClennan. Top level BR quality and no hassles of import. I have used a couple of Gaillards and they shoot.

The 6-284 is a screamer but will be hard on barrels. Unless you plan on using 105/107gr bullets at max velocity, you give up little with smaller cases in performance.

I shot a 6BR with a Gaillard and 87gr Vmax bullets at 3200fps. No issue popping clay pigeons at 750+yds. Throat life is about 5 times as much as the 284 version.

The 243 and 6rem are also excellent choices. At long range, the difference in 100 to 200fps of muzzle velocity is pretty irrelevant. BC of bullets matter more.

If you plan on going beyond 800yds in the wind, you should consider the 6.5 or 7mm. Even the best 6mm bullets are not as good as these other VLD designs. Wildcat bullets might change all that but for now, these are your best LR varminting choice.

You can also read other posts on the MOAG and magnum monsters used to dispatch little furries at extreme distances. Might be a bit much to start off with.

Hope this helps. Not meaning to turn you off using a US supplier or smith but the import export requirements will drive you insane.

Jerry

6-284 a very good caliber, I just bought a custom built on a Mauser 98 action you would have a hard time finding a cheaper action. This gun is old and definitely custom but what a shooter the smith who built it (J.P. Campbell) is gone but there are several good ones on the site that can help you, as to another action to work off of Savage is hard to beat.

I like the 223 with a heavy barrel and a Holland muzzle brake
1 in 12 twist. I like a jewel trigger. This is the setup I use and it likes Blackhills ammo 50 grain v-max. 223 ammo is cheap and available. It is not unusually to shoot 500 rounds in a day on a good dog field.

Jay

Long Shot Rifles/Chris Matthews is your Smith of choice. Tell him you want the DaddyRabbit special /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. PM me if you need his info.

There are several great smiths aboard here. Kirby Allen, Chris Matthews, Shawn Carlock to name a few and in no particular order.

Daddy Rabbit whats your special setup??
Sir Chris will be building me a br setup very soon!

7RUM, tell Sir Chris that you want the same "Preferred Customer" discount that I get. What are you going w/a 6.5/284? Custom action or remmy? I am going to get a light bench project rolling very, very soon myself. I know for a fact I'll go w/a Bat. That's about all I'm sure of at this point except to say Sir Chris will build her of course.

I have a 6.5x284 290nk built by Gunsmith David Tooley. Here are the specs. BAT 8.5 action/Hart 28"1/2, 1.100 at the muzzel with brake/ Tooley MBR stock/Jewell 2oz trigger/topped w/Nightforce 12x42-56mm NXS, kelby rings and Davidson base with 20 "moa" added. The rifle weighs around 18lbs. This rifle was built perfectly. David Tooley builds an amazing rifle!!!!! My best 3 shot group is currently .093 at 100yds and my average is currently .100 to .110. The 6.5x284 290nk was actually created be Shehane and D. Tooley. I am currently having a rifle built right now by Dave and I am thinking about calling him tomorrow and adding one more to the list. I did alot of research before I hade my 6.5 built, I wanted a top notch gunsmith to build this rifle. The name that kept coming up was David Tooley. Dave is also great to work with and will help you with anything you need. He is worth every dollar and I would be willing to pay him more for his workmanship!!!!!!! If you need any advise or information, let me know. Thanks, Wildcat.

Daddy I'm going with a remy action in SS 30 inch broughton with vias brake chambered in 6.5X284 .297 neck for a light cleanup if I want.
Shehane Tracker stock in Mcmillain fiberglass white/medium blue to dark blue flame
Badger rings and bases, badger bolt knob and will top it with either a Nightforce NXS or Br model.
It will be set up for light class comp.
Maybe once we get em we can get together and go to some matches??

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts