Looking for a factory 280AI rifle.

cdherman, you could have the throat extended. Make three dummy rounds with the bullet you want to shoot, and provide those three rounds to the gunsmith. They use a tool called a uni throater to extend the leade.
I shoot 175g Nosler LRAB in one 280 AI with amazing accuracy. with the throat extended.
Vincemule, thanx for sharing your knowledge. What twist rate is in your 280 AI barrel? TIA.

I had a montana custom 1999 probably one of the most accurate rifles i had, however i'm left handed and had a stable full of 7's so I sold it to my sons father in-law and now it's the most accurate rifle he's owned! LOL

My son has a 1999 as well, very accurate - not sure of they can be found or not.

Not sure about your budget limits, but since i'm a LH shooter I've gravitated towards Weatherby's. I have a few backcountry rifles, i have nothing but praise for all of them from 22-250,240,25-06,257,6.5rpm,6.5-300 and 300 they all shoot half inch groups with factory ammo every time i take them out.. Lightweight and very confident making 500-600 yard shots with them in hunting situations. We don't have allot of big open country around here so area considered that's a poke for us! :)

the 307 is supposed to be worth it's salt, personally I want something that looks like a hunting rifle. Nothing against them, too each is own if that is what you like get it i trust the brand. Maybe even a apex line, not sure if it's chambered in 280ai or not would need to look. I think the new live wild eddition is offered in 280ai.

If you are someone that is going to buy/sell/trade when something else comes along, usually by spending a little more you might recoup your investment on a resale. Not that 280AI has the ultimate following (if more people shot it or gave it a chance it would) might spend a little more if possible, kept in lightly used condition could or should resale and move along with appreciation. Lower end rifles usually are a money pit because the bar is set and if i can get new for 100 more i'm not buying used. Just thoughts, good luck in your quest - i've had good luck with copper creek ammunition if you don't roll your own as well as i've used hendershots. Both make quality ammo - not cheap but if it's a hunting rifle 100 rounds goes a long ways!

cdherman, you could have the throat extended. Make three dummy rounds with the bullet you want to shoot, and provide those three rounds to the gunsmith. They use a tool called a uni throater to extend the leade.
I shoot 175g Nosler LRAB in one 280 AI with amazing accuracy. with the throat extended.
Vincemule, thank you for sharing your knowledge. What is the twist rate in your 280 AI? TIA.

Hi i been looking at a few 280AI.
Weatherby 307 and a mark hunter.
Savage ultralight
CA mesa fft 280AI
Browning xbolt speed.
I have looked everywhere for a xbolt speed. And a ca mesa fft 280AI. But no one has either. I am going to spend 2000.00 on rifle. And 800 to 1000.00 on a scope. Just using the gun for deer hunting. Fount a used kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex scope on it. Does anyone know where a xbolt speed 280AI is for sale.
If you're in Canada, check out highlandarms.ca They specialize in .280AI's,

I had a montana custom 1999 probably one of the most accurate rifles i had, however i'm left handed and had a stable full of 7's so I sold it to my sons father in-law and now it's the most accurate rifle he's owned! LOL

My son has a 1999 as well, very accurate - not sure of they can be found or not.

Not sure about your budget limits, but since i'm a LH shooter I've gravitated towards Weatherby's. I have a few backcountry rifles, i have nothing but praise for all of them from 22-250,240,25-06,257,6.5rpm,6.5-300 and 300 they all shoot half inch groups with factory ammo every time i take them out.. Lightweight and very confident making 500-600 yard shots with them in hunting situations. We don't have allot of big open country around here so area considered that's a poke for us! :)

the 307 is supposed to be worth it's salt, personally I want something that looks like a hunting rifle. Nothing against them, too each is own if that is what you like get it i trust the brand. Maybe even a apex line, not sure if it's chambered in 280ai or not would need to look. I think the new live wild eddition is offered in 280ai.

If you are someone that is going to buy/sell/trade when something else comes along, usually by spending a little more you might recoup your investment on a resale. Not that 280AI has the ultimate following (if more people shot it or gave it a chance it would) might spend a little more if possible, kept in lightly used condition could or should resale and move along with appreciation. Lower end rifles usually are a money pit because the bar is set and if i can get new for 100 more i'm not buying used. Just thoughts, good luck in your quest - i've had good luck with copper creek ammunition if you don't roll your own as well as i've used hendershots. Both make quality ammo - not cheap but if it's a hunting rifle 100 rounds goes a long ways!
was in contact with Weatherby yesterday and a new style 307 will be coming out soon. it will have a regular (I call it) style wood stock no cheek piece, no drop magazine just a standard floor plate I do not remember if it will be blued or not, saw one at the Pheasant Classic last weekend. tried to buy it from the Weatherby rep but no go it was in 300 Weatherby and will come in standard and Weatherby calibers, good looking rifle

Hi 204 , What didn't you l like about the used Kimber ??? Was it in bad shape??? Was it too expensive??? I always thought they made nice Hunting Rifle!! Just wondering.

I have 2 savage ultralites and both shoot under.5". I also did away with the blade on the trigger and trigger is good! I'd buy one again.
I have an ultralite in 6.5CM as one of my deer rifles. Shot my best group ever with that rifle, 3/16", a wonderful gun minus the garbage plastic stock. Looking to upgrade that stock eventually. Long story short Ultralites are really accurate, don't hesitate to choose one in 280AI. I wonder in you can order a barreled action. I also think they were working on better stock options. Last time I talked to them they were well aware that people willing to pay 1400 for a rifle would pay a little more for a great stock.

Hi i been looking at a few 280AI.
Weatherby 307 and a mark hunter.
Savage ultralight
CA mesa fft 280AI
Browning xbolt speed.
I have looked everywhere for a xbolt speed. And a ca mesa fft 280AI. But no one has either. I am going to spend 2000.00 on rifle. And 800 to 1000.00 on a scope. Just using the gun for deer hunting. Fount a used kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex scope on it. Does anyone know where a xbolt speed 280AI is for sale.
Another option. And a way to save some money for better glass.

Hi 204 , What didn't you l like about the used Kimber ??? Was it in bad shape??? Was it too expensive??? I always thought they made nice Hunting Rifle!! Just wondering.
Here's my .02 cents on the Kimber....considering current inflation, my opinion is worthless! I have no experience with the Kimber Mountain Ascent however, I do own a Kimber Montana and I imagine the barrel contours are similar. I really like the 84L action and the rifle weighed 6 lb. 7 oz fully outfitted. It was chambered in 30.06. The cold bore shot was dead on every time. After that, there was no telling where the next shot would be. For that reason, I recently had it re-barreled by Pac-Nor in 6.5x55SE, #2 Pac-Nor contour I'm looking forward to developing a load for it and killing some animals this fall. I am hoping the rifle comes in around 8.5#. I am terrible shooter with ultralight rifles.

Jim