Looking for a factory 280AI rifle.

Try this link to find current inventory of the X-Bolt and other rifles you are considering: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/023614850168?suggestion-term=browning x-bolt 280

I have been shooting the 280 AI since the early 90's, long before it became a factory option, and it has served me very well in the States and in Africa. I shoot an older Kimber 84L with a walnut stock. It was factory bedded and is sub-MOA accurate, but its chief virtue is that its cold bore shots are always right where they should be. I have no experience with the newer Kimbers but sometimes the old ones pop up on GunBroker. The newer ones are too light for my taste (I know I am treading on sacred ground here), but mine with its scope, sling and a full magazine (it holds 5 rounds!) weighs right at 8 lbs, and I find that it is easier to hold steady in field positions and conditions.

Vincemule, thank you for sharing your knowledge. What is the twist rate in your 280 AI? TIA.
This barrel is a 9 Twist from X caliber, incredible accuracy, IMR 7828, Federal 210's, PMC 30/06 brass formed to AI.

All my 280 AI brass is from 30/06 brass, Lake City Match, PMC, Winchester, and Lapua. Of course I never mix brass. I clean the necks up at 30 caliber(neck turn), then neck down leaving a false shoulder to headspace on.

Last edited:
Hi i been looking at a few 280AI.
Weatherby 307 and a mark hunter.
Savage ultralight
CA mesa fft 280AI
Browning xbolt speed.
I have looked everywhere for a xbolt speed. And a ca mesa fft 280AI. But no one has either. I am going to spend 2000.00 on rifle. And 800 to 1000.00 on a scope. Just using the gun for deer hunting. Fount a used kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex scope on it. Does anyone know where a xbolt speed 280AI is for sale.
If you are open to it, the CA Ridgeline chambered in 280AI is an option. I love mine and it's basically exactly what you've listed: topped with a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 scope and with a Spartan precision bipod I have no complaints whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_4037.jpeg
    IMG_4037.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 29
I don't think the safety blade affects the trigger pull setting, but I don't know for sure.

The safety blade just forces the shooter to pull straight back, and will "misfire" or not fire if there's any side pressure at all. A level of supervision I'm not looking for in a rifle trigger.
I didn't think that it's a safety blade, purpose is to make a lighter trigger pull when the blade is depressed. Not like a Glock trigger.

You may catch some flak for that statement 😁.
Maybe so, but it's not unreasonable! I have a browning X-bolt HC Speed in 280AI and I picked up a Zeiss Conquest V4 on Redhawk for just under 1k shipped, and I couldn't be happier! I don't feel like I'm leaving a whole lot on the table for a hunting rifle! It shoots a .381" group with my Handloads.
143HH with RL23 and Petersen brass.
I love it

Hi i been looking at a few 280AI.
Weatherby 307 and a mark hunter.
Savage ultralight
CA mesa fft 280AI
Browning xbolt speed.
I have looked everywhere for a xbolt speed. And a ca mesa fft 280AI. But no one has either. I am going to spend 2000.00 on rifle. And 800 to 1000.00 on a scope. Just using the gun for deer hunting. Fount a used kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex scope on it. Does anyone know where a xbolt speed 280AI is for sale.
I have the Kimber 84L Mountain Ascent in 280AI. It shoots extremely well. I'm handloading:
Bullet: Barnes TTSX BT 140-grain
Powder: RE 19 @ 56.5
Primer: WLR
The rifle is so lightweight. The action is very smooth. Thus far, I don't have anything negative to say about it. Very nice rifle.

I really like that set up. How does that combo shoot for you?
I've played with different loads and settled on the 143HH over H4831sc with ES and SD under 5 at 3150fps. If I'm doing my job the rifle is a .5MOA gun repeatedly. I could chase more speed with RL 23 or 26 but can't find any to purchase and the combo listed above has done just fine in the field… exceptional bullet performance(s).

Erik