Longest Handgun Kill

sscoyote

OK, this thread's probably long overdure here, but let's see some pics (if u can)/stories of your longest HG kills so far. Also important would be the system used to make the kill--cartridge/optics/reticle/turrets/laser, etc.

I'll start it here with my longest which i can't actually post the pic, since i got an old computer, and it doesn't work too good (sorry).

Was out coyote hunting with a partner in some long sandhill basins not far from my place sevearl years ago. We were sitting on opposite sides of a small ridge calling when this coyote shows up way across the other side of the basin i was looking into. Couldn't get him any closer so i decide to try an Exbal calc'd only shot (for my 3-12X Burris, BP reticle/turret comeups to 1000 yds.). Leica 1200 Scan gave a reading of 906, but i thought, why not? The dog was sitting on his haunches facing me, so i ran the clicks in , and placed the lower post tip dead on his chest. No wind so i touched it off, and when i recovered form the recoil of the XP 6.5-284/129 SST, i looked up and saw a white spot where he was, but even with my Zeiss binocs i couldn't make it out, but sure enuf when we walked over to him there he was laying there dead as a doornail. Honestly tho, i was probably lucky i got him, as the bullet hit him dead center in the chest, and exited siz of a quarter out his backbone. Had he been hit thru the lungs broadside, he probably would have made it a long ways before dying, and i'd have never recovered him. Here's a link to him--

About Ballistics

OK, next???

75-100 yards with a ruger 22/45 4" barrel on a rouge dog in a cattle pasture. I was rested up real well and he was quartering toward me, I aimed right at the top of the near shoulder, touched her off and he started doing the funky chicken. Had 4 witnesses too, bullet impacted in the chest right in front of his near shoulder and probably got the heart, no exit wound. I was pretty impressed, pretty good shot with a iron sighted .22 and remington bulk ammo.

340276.jpg

340275.jpg

Erncow106SPpic.jpg

First pic is a 6mm-284 XP-100 shooting the 115 DTAC, which nailed a PD @ 1590 yards.

Second pic is a unrecovered PD @ 1800 yards ( had blood everywhere) @ 1800 yards with a rear-grip XP in 6.5-284 shooting the 140 A-Max.

Third pic is a cow shot with the 7mm Dakota XP @ 666 yards. Bullet is the 200 grain Wildcat.

Longest big game animal (no pic) was a mulie buck somewhere near the 700 yard mark (by the drops), as it was pre-laser rangefinder days. with a 7mm-08 XP-100 using 140 grain NBT's.
Len, FWIW on this shot I was laying on my back on a down hill slope with the XP between my knees and Steve's back supporting my neck/head.

All three of you guys done good!

My longest were a Wisconsin whitetail buck and doe, each about 150 yards with Yotefever's 260 Rem handgun last fall.

Hope to do better on my Montana hunt late next week.

i only have one kill with a handgun a wisconsin doe last year it was a whopping " cough cough " 30 yards . but hey it was my first

JIM

****! I though I had done well untill I saw XPHunters pictures.
(Not jealous just very impressed).

I have a custom xp in 7/08 that looks almost like the pistol in the
first picture of XP's post,

It has a 16 an a 1/4inch # 7 shillen 1in9 twist and I call it the terminator,
It will shoot 5 shot groups under 1" at 300yrds,So armed with this
I took a shot at a deer that a friend passed on with his 7rem mag
because he said it was to far for him,I was rattling for him and had
carried my pistol instead of a rifle.

The deer was just under 500yrds so I cranked in all but 2 clicks of my
500yrd zero and taged him. We were on the down slope of a gully
shooting across to the other side so I layed on my back and placed
the Terminator between my knees and let it rip.

The 150gr Blistic tip hit within 1and1/2"of the point of aim.

My frend was very impressed (so I acted like it was no big deal)even
though I new better.

So thats my story and i'm sticking to it
J E CUSTOM

This is a pic of Steve using my 7mm Dakota XP on a very small mulie @ 597 yards. Scope is a Mark 4 with the "ART" reticle.
Using the ART reticle Steve nailed it, shooting prone w/Harris BR bi-pod (notched legs w/pod-lok).

Steve1doeSPpic.jpg

Lets see with a S&W 44 mag I got a WI doe at 80 yds which started my handgun hunting fever. The next year it was another WI doe at 207 yds with an Encore in 7-08, with a Bullberry barrel.
Then last year I got beat by my son getting a antelope at 438 yds to his 495 yds. with my (now my son's) MOA, in 6.5x284 and with Rays 22-204 Contender I got a pd at 611 yds.
This year while hunting with Ernie and Steve I got an antelope at 740 yds and a rockalope at 770 yds, very hard to eat though. That was with my new MOA in 7 Sundance, 376 Styer case.
This year was my first to just use rifle scopes on my guns. Used Exbal and used the target turrets on my 6.5x20x50 long range Lupy, which I got off this list. ;-)
The longest shot on a coyote was taken with my Striker in 22-250 which was at 248 yds.
Heres the first antelope
antelope438yds.jpg

Heres this years
SecondRichBartmanAntelopeHunt200714.jpg

Heres the pd
DSCF2687.jpg

and my coyote and Striker
122906258.jpg

let's see, longest animal taken, have to say from this spot at our farm in KY I have taken several does and bucks. the tree line to front and to the left is 490+ yds, straight out is 385 yds and to the right is in the 420-460 yd range. nice to sit and have your evening coffee and wait for the "big one "to walk out. when it rains it all fits into a camo blind. so far from this spot only mid sized bucks and large does. 300 WSM is in the picture
nmhunter

DSCN0118.jpg

Open sighted- whitetail doe GP-100 146gr Speer earholed at 78 steps.

Scoped- whitetail doe using my Contender in 7x30 Waters, 140gr BT- 283 yd

Nothing in range compared to some of yours, but both were great spot and stalks, and very memorable hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.