Light rifle

Hello , I to favor .280s versitility. I have a rem.700 KS,but if u can spend a bit go to Lone Wolf Rifle Stocks site.I have 2 Summit models with cheek pieces. With 3.5-10x50s,rem700s,24-26"barrels they weigh 8.00lbs. or less complete.Excellent workmanship. Dskiper

My 280AI is built on a pre 64 M70 action with a 24"fwt pac-nor barrel and bedded in a rimrock (28oz.) stock, with a 3x9x40 leupy in talleys it's at 7 3/4 lbs. and carries/balances very nicely. I also have 2 mcm edge stocks, the one on my pre 64 M70 fwt '06 weighs 23oz. and is a great stock. If you hurry over to 24hourcampfire.com you can save some dough on the edge, just look for santa.

Wondering if the 22" barrel in the 280 ackley if your gaining what the benefit of the ack. Maybe a regular 280 would do as well. As far as weight i have the ultimate light weight gun. 25x284 from ultra lite arms. I bought it used from a friend though. It has 24" barrel, 30 mm 4.5-14 leupold 40 mm lens, uncle mikes sling with 4 loaded rounds, harris bipod, weight: 7 1/4 lb. I got it with dies, and brass for 1k.
Mike

Look at Lone Wolf
The Summit XL I have finished at 16 oz with buttpad, bedding, texture and paint.
We are working on a new build using a Summit that should finish at 18 oz or so.

Light, strong, and worth the money if you do the work yourself.

Look at Lone Wolf
The Summit XL I have finished at 16 oz with buttpad, bedding, texture and paint.
We are working on a new build using a Summit that should finish at 18 oz or so.

Light, strong, and worth the money if you do the work yourself.

Did I read correctly on a different site that Lone Wolf will only sell you the light stock if they bed your rifle into it?

Well, sort of! I believe the stocks they finish themselves I think are a little lighter like 14oz.
I did the work on an XL blank that came out to 16oz.

Its finished now with one elk under its belt. Gotta get some new pics of it.

DSCF8054.JPG

DSCF1721.JPG

I'm kinda a lightweight rifle junkie

The stocks I've worked with and can recommend areBansner/High Tech specialties. Up here in Canada we have a stock maker Wildcat Composites that make some real good stocks too.

Although I havent worked with a Lonewolf I hear they are nice and I don't think your gonna find anything lighter. I would like to use on some day.

I have worked with the lightest stock that MPI makes and they are a TON of work to finish. Not for the inexperianced stocksmith and terribly over priced for what you get. As far as their heavier weight stocks, I can't speak to them but the ones they list as 9-12 oz blanks are very incomplete.

One of my lightweight rifles is a 280 AI on a M700 Titanium scoped 6lbs 3 ounces, I could loose 4-5 ounces if I take off that heavy pachmyer pad and put a lightweight foam pad on.

I have only worked with one MPI. It was for an Enfield P14 and it was a lot of work to finish although it came out really nice in the end.

Why are you sweating the couple ounces between stocks and using a M70? I love the M70, but for a lt.wt. the Remington is approx 6oz ahead with any stock. My personal choice is the Bansner because I like the feel, thin open grip and slim forend. They are tough and handle recoil well.

Why are you sweating the couple ounces between stocks and using a M70? I love the M70, but for a lt.wt. the Remington is approx 6oz ahead with any stock. My personal choice is the Bansner because I like the feel, thin open grip and slim forend. They are tough and handle recoil well.

I used a M70 because its a rifle I had in my gun cabinet that has sentimental value, so I can never sell it. Obviously not the best choice for an all out no holds barred lightweight rifle but still a cool project. As far as sweating a couple ounces in the stock, well its a couple ounces, so why not.

All my other lightweight rifles are remingtons and two of them are Titaniums, the winchester was just the ugly step child in the cabinet that needed some attention.

I was in Lone Wolfs shop few days ago, he has a great product. There where probably 50 projects in the works and I BET 2/3 are ABS TYPE barrels, all the custom actions and barrels makes you drool:D:D

Mesa Precision....25oz...put my 280ai in it..drove to coast..shot 500 & 700...every bullet hit within a teacup at poa...not bedded....have 3 now...
Ai weighs in at 8#...was gonna sell it...but now shoots to good....