Light weight midrange rifle ??'s

darrindlh

Okay I am becoming a backpack hunter. I feel her in idaio that for me to kill a really big buck or an old big bull I need to become a mountain backpack hunter and get away and penetrate to high lush basins. I have chosen a 30-06 because I have 300 rounds to reload. Okay, my max range will be 500 yrds. Which 30-06 would you suggest for a light weight midrange hi to g rifle?

Darrin

I would look at the new Kimbers first. You will do fine with one m.o.a. out to 500 yards so any decent factory rifle will serve you well. Find one you like, get a muzzle brake installed if it doesn't have one, and get practicing.

Out to 500 yards you will be well served by a mil dot or BDC reticle so you don't have to click for elevation. This will help save weight by providing a lot more scope option than if you were clicking for elevation.

Light rifles will shoot very accurate. It's shooting them accurately (especially in the field) that is the problem.

A Remington Titanium would save you a bunch of weight, but they can be tough to find, especially if you are looking for a certain chambering.

Jeremy

Thank you for the replys. Gene I love kimber rifles and would love to own one. But as I was researching them they are out of my price range right now. I will own one one day. I was thinking of getting a savage lightweight hunter and adding a stock to it. Do any of you have experience with the browning x bolt 3d? So my bro I law has a gun store and I can get browning , weatherby, remington, or winchester at cost. He is a dealer . So that might change some things.

Darrin

I have an older Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win mag. with Browning's plastic stock. It's not a "light" rifle but at 8.5 lbs more of a mid weight. Still good enough for backpacking.

The X-Bolt, like the A-Bolt, has 3 locking lugs and this makes for a fast cycling bolt because you don't have to lift it as far as a 2 lug bolt like a Remington 700. Get a synthetic stock for lighter weight.

Browning rifles are noted for good out-of-the-box accuracy and they have a high resale value in case you get the budget for a Kimber..

The Savage is a good rifle with a good action IF you get one that shoots well. If it doesn't take it back and get another until you find a good barrel.

Finally... Buy the BEST scope you can afford to get, even if you have to stretch the payments out over one year. It should cost about as much as the rifle. I'd recommend a Bushnell Elite series scope or a Vortex scope.

The Kimber and the Savage are within 200 bucks of each other in 30 caliber chambering.

Having said that, the Kimber comes with a snot stock and the Savage is wood, nicely finished, actually so nice you'll want to replace the stock with a snot stock anyway.

I'm not fond of the Kimber safety versus the savage recessed safety and both shoot well out of the box.

Have you looked into the Tikka Superlites? I have one in a 7 mag and have shot several sub 2" groups at 500 yards with it, I have a 5.5-22 Nightforce on it and it weighs right at 8 lbs with that heavy scope, could cut weight down a lot with a Leupold

I just wish Tikka had a 3 lug bolt. I love my Browning A-Bolt's low bolt lift.

That's why I'm looking at a Ruger American.

Surprisingly to me all the owners' reports on it say it is an accurate rifle. Guess that hammer forged barrel is a good one. Great trigger and bedding system too.

Yeah, the American has a cheap feeling stock but that can be remedied with some filling compound in the forearm and buttstock. There's a YouTube video on it.

Ruger needs to have a rubberized overmould on at least the pistol grip and the forearm.
Maybe some textured truck bed liner painted on those areas (masked off first, natch) and then painted over with a 2-part epoxy paint would do the trick.

Little customizations like that are what makes a rifle your very own and gives pride of ownership.

If you are dead set on an '06 I would go for a tikka t3 lite. It will fit your bill and they are great rifles. The Vanguard S2, savage model10, win 70, Mark IV and any higher end remmy (not sps, though they can be good) will serve you just fine too.
There really isn't a whole lot to discuss with a working man's '06.

I would reconsider the caliber choice though. Are all of your brass from the manufacturer and lot??

I like a 9.5-12 lbs. rifle no matter what. Hunting Idaho is very much like hunting B.C (my stomping grounds) and shots in the alpine/sub-alpine can be LONG. From hill to hill. I'm just saying for a serious elk/buck slaying rifle in the west. The '06 is still great, but isn't really what I would carry chasing monster bull.

+1 on the Tikka T3. I have one in 7mag with a leupold vx3 4.5-14 and it is an easy rifle to pack. As said above, the will shoot sub moa all day long out to 500. plus they are a "budget friendly" rifle from sako.....

The replies have been awesome. Thank you. You know I now need to go shoulder the tikkas. I ave not thought about that. Angus, I am not set dead on a 06. I've considered 338 wm, and some others. And to be honest I can sell the brass and get bed brass . So now the question 338wm for 500 and in? I'm considering two the savage 116 bear 338 and tikka t3 lite. Or I could get another 300wm as well just a lighter version.

Darrin

If you decide to go the Tikka route, put a limbsaver recoil pad on it as soon as possible. It makes a world of difference especially on the magnums.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.