Leupold vs Vortex

Razor LH - Gen 1

Razor LHT - Gen 2

There are a number of options in stock at Amazon.
If anyone is looking for a small, lightweight hunting optic with great glass and a huge eyebox, give the Razor LH 1.5-8x32 a look before they are all gone.

With the 32mm objective, you can mount it really low and get a great cheekweld on a classic hunting stock.
I have 3 and they're great.

Had poor luck with the Vortex scopes holding up to recoil. 300 RUM wrecked a VIPER. Then both a 30-06 and a 270 Win broke Diamondbacks. Have not owned a Vortex scope since.
No complaints about their binos or monoculars. Good stuff!

As pointed out by others, the Nikons scopes are good glass. But now that Nikon Corp. caved in to the anti-hunting crowd and stopped making scopes, I wonder what their "LIFETIME WARRANTY" is good for? In the past they were great to work with but who knows now...

Some have implied that the Leupolds are overpriced. Hard to say that now that they are bringing back DiamondCoat in the VX-3i line... and of course the VX-5HD and VX-6HD are fairly competitive price-wise with similar high end scope lines. I would not bother spending money on their VX Freedom line though...these are not anywhere near the quality of their higher lines.

Just my opinions...

Leupold better glass at same price point. Vortex mechanically are very sound and track well for the price point. The vx3i glass is better than viper. For a hunter that isn't twisting turrets a bunch Leupold. The viper pst tracks better but is heavy. The Razor Has great glass and tracks well but is heavy as well.

Vortex is Chinese and Philippine made junk at every level below the Razor, where they make in Japan. The AMG series is made in the US and runs $1,500+ on sale. Leupold makes their scopes right here. That matters to me. Leupold scopes are excellent, and they will warranty any real problems for life. They can't afford to replace it of you get drunk and drive your tractor into your house causing a fire that burns your binoculars, because you're an idiot. Vortex can afford to do that because they pay some garbage Chinese factory $11 for that $300 scope you bought. They should just give you an extra one when you buy one, because you'll use that warranty if you keep it for long. Leupold also has the best veteran discount in the business, bar none. I've seen leupold VX4 series scopes dropped from the back of 5 ton trucks (twice), probably 6 feet in the air and land on the scope, and had no shift in poi. I've seen numerous Vortex scopes fail to track right out of the box. Do what you want with your own money, but this is a simple decision for me.

Now, I do use a pair of vortex fury 5000 rangefinding binos, and they work well and are very clear, but it is a matter of convenience more than anything else.

Leupold better glass at same price point. Vortex mechanically are very sound and track well for the price point. The vx3i glass is better than viper. For a hunter that isn't twisting turrets a bunch Leupold. The viper pst tracks better but is heavy. The Razor Has great glass and tracks well but is heavy as well.
Cajun, have you ever handled Vortex's razor hunting line of optic, the Light Hunter?

Your comment about the Vortex Razor being heavy makes it seem like you are referring to their tactical line.

Their hunting line, the Light Hunter, is, as the name implies, very light.

I seem to be in the minority here that thinks the Vortex Razor Light Hunter is a great scope.

I wish you guys all lived closer so that you can look through a couple of mine. I would put them right up next to VX-5/6HDs all day long.

I have all of the scopes that I am referencing, so this is first hand...not something I read on the internet, FWIW.

I was referring to the razor not the razor lht. My next scope will be either the razor lht or vortex vh5 hd.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Zeiss V4 riflescopes. They track perfectly and the glass is excellent. Best scope for under a grand IMHO and many others feel the same way.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Zeiss V4 riflescopes. They track perfectly and the glass is excellent. Best scope for under a grand IMHO and many others feel the same way.
I've never looked through a Zeiss but do hear lots of good things about them. Especially for guys that dial a lot.

Isn't the entire zeiss v4 line sfp?

The models I looked at were if memory serves. If I was king of America, Sfp scopes that cost more than a Savage axis would be illegal.

Isn't the entire zeiss v4 line sfp?

The models I looked at were if memory serves. If I was king of America, Sfp scopes that cost more than a Savage axis would be illegal.
I gotta tell ya...for guys who hunt thick bush on the East Coast and want clear glass to see in low light and count hairs on an animal...SFP is just fine.

Most shooting is MPBR.

You can keep the Axis and I'll keep the nicer SFP optics 👍🏻🇺🇸

I just bought my first FFP optic to mount on a Western hunting rifle.

I gotta tell ya...for guys who hunt thick bush on the East Coast and want clear glass to see in low light and count hairs on an animal...SFP is just fine.

Most shooting is MPBR.

You can keep the Axis and I'll keep the nicer SFP optics 👍🏻🇺🇸

I just bought my first FFP optic to mount on a Western hunting rifle.
I don't own an axis, because I have a good hammer for banging in tent stakes, which is the best purpose an axis can serve, (I really don't mean that. If that's all someone can afford I'd rather they were out there hunting than sitting at home). Sfp optics don't pull in light any better than an ffp, they just might help you see the reticle better in low light if you made a bad reticle choice for hunting, or have bad eyes, but what an sfp optic will do is make you miss animals. Sure, you might remember to turn it to max power, or 2/3 power, or maybe it's 3/4 power, and maybe there is a mark there to remind you, or maybe there isn't. I hope you can remember which it is when the trophy of a lifetime pushes your pulse through the roof. I only own one sfp optic, and it is a NF SHV 5-20×56mm, and I bought it without even checking because I stupidly assumed it was ffp. I'm sure most of you own a safe full of optics, and I regularly carry 3 or even 4 different rifles into the woods this time of year, and I don't even want to have to think about what the proper magnification is supposed to be when I need to dial.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.