Leupold Mark 5

Love and own multiple Mark5hd's. Personally don't know anyone dissatisfied with theirs. It's a fine scope no matter what all the people who love to hate say. Preference is preference and literally every scope preferred in this thread has people who will tell you it's no good as well. I highly doubt your stepson will regret the mark5hd. He's a leupy man, let him be a leupy man.

Love and own multiple Mark5hd's. Personally don't know anyone dissatisfied with theirs. It's a fine scope no matter what all the people who love to hate say. Preference is preference and literally every scope preferred in this thread has people who will tell you it's no good as well. I highly doubt your stepson will regret the mark5hd. He's a leupy man, let him be a leupy man.
This would be his first leupy, I personally do not care, it is not my rifle, I just want him to be sure he is getting something that is reliable. I will be happy to look through one and set it up for him on his son rifle, I have never looked through a NF either, but he was concerned with weight and that is the reason I suggested the NF NX8 to him. Right now, the rifle weighs 6lbs 8oz without a scope, with another 30oz with scope and rings, it will be set under 9lbs.

Sounds like quite a few prepared, professional, competitive shooters in your area that you WATCH!
Having drag raced for many years, I have never seen a competitive or winning racer without sponsor decals or spare parts including spare cars or bikes per organization regulations. A+ for the prepared PRS folks in your area!
I've squadded with more than a few of them, and I've seen one guy bump his scope on a stage and start missing by 4 feet afterwards.
Hence the second rifle ready to go.
Mk5s definitely get it done but I don't trust them to hold up to field abuse one bit!

Some of us shoot more than 1 division too…

You use what your sponsors tell you. That's the game. If you don't want sponsorship, don't take it.

The fact that, Pynch, Gadarzi, King, Millard etc stay on the top using a mid grade Leupold scope is more to do with the shooter than the gear.

..and look, it works. With such basic marketing strategy, it sells scopes to the newer guys.
100%
Some of these guys would win shooting a savage wearing a $600 scope.
Doesn't mean either piece of kit is durable..

This would be his first leupy, I personally do not care, it is not my rifle, I just want him to be sure he is getting something that is reliable. I will be happy to look through one and set it up for him on his son rifle, I have never looked through a NF either, but he was concerned with weight and that is the reason I suggested the NF NX8 to him. Right now, the rifle weighs 6lbs 8oz without a scope, with another 30oz with scope and rings, it will be set under 9lbs.
I built a weight conscious rifle and did a vx5hd for the same reason. Ended up back with a mark5hd 5-25 because the few ounces difference literally made little affect. Couldn't tell either way while the rifle was in my hand which one felt heavier. He could look at new mark4hds. I think the 6-24 version is only like 1-2 ounces heavier than the 3.5-18 mark5hd and it's quite a bit more affordable.

I just mounted a mark 5 on a new 6 CM, have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but I am looking forward to giving it a try. Question: I'm interested in a custom turret once I figure what bullet shoots best. Are there any 3rd party companies that make them?

I just mounted a mark 5 on a new 6 CM, have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but I am looking forward to giving it a try. Question: I'm interested in a custom turret once I figure what bullet shoots best. Are there any 3rd party companies that make them?
Ballistix does. They're out of Canada.

But, why would you want a custom turret on that scope? Or at all, these days. Even cheap little ballistic apps, are more accurate overall, as you're never going to be in the same conditions the custom turret was made for.

Even taping dope in 50y increments to your stock with a DA chart is more accurate. Going old school.

Ballistix does. They're out of Canada.

But, why would you want a custom turret on that scope? Or at all, these days. Even cheap little ballistic apps, are more accurate overall, as you're never going to be in the same conditions the custom turret was made for.

Even taping dope in 50y increments to your stock with a DA chart is more accurate. Going old school.
True, but having to consult an app for different shots is less than ideal.

True, but having to consult an app for different shots is less than ideal.
Ok, buy a kestrel. It's what I use. It's used in all industries from mil/leo, to competition, and even hunting.

You don't wait for the shot, then start type data in.

People have been using a regular zerod mil or moa scope since Vietnam to now. There's a few ways to go about it. The kestrel captures things instantly.

The phone is a cheap way to do it, but you can have the data ready to view. Alternatively, you can just write the dope out if you don't want to look at the phone. It's unreliable, I get it.

Or you can jump on JBM and run your dope off DA, and make different cards for different DAs. The new stuff is way better than having to shift through all that paper every time you go out, then having to weatherproof it. Which is the same concept of having the custom turrets. You take the turret to match the condition.

A comparison (mine) of several scopes in a similar price and magnification range. Mk5hd is not a value scope at $1400+ in my opinion