Leupold Mark 5

99% are not getting any form of sponsorship for PRS - especially me. I am running Vortex Razor Gen 3 and Gen 2 on my competition rifles. That said, Leupold Mark5HD dominates PRS
I don't really know where this "dominate" PRS is coming from….which PRS? I mean in PRS (regionals?) Even NRL people have different stuff.

Dudes really have all sorts of gear in open division. Once all your place holders from regional start to make their way to nationals, you really start to see the same brands. Where you start to see cheaper budget scopes is in production class..thats for obvious reasons.

@WeiserBucks point about "scopes that work"….most of the scopes in open Div MSRP starting around 3k…they all "work." Half of those models are or have been used in military or government service. They all work.

This whole thread is wild.

Last edited:
@WeiserBucks point about "scopes that work….most of the scopes in open Div MSRP starting around 3k…they all work." Half of those models are or have been used in military or government service. They all work.

I disagree, lots of scopes don't maintain zero, don't track correctly and fail miserably when abused regardless of price.

I disagree, lots of scopes don't maintain zero, don't track correctly and fail miserably when abused regardless of price.
Leupold was known for that back in the day, with the mark 4 fixed 10.

you're making a blanket statement on a disagreement. Which scopes are not holding a zero or tracking correctly…?

Most of us who are not newbs and/or take the game serious, shoot to a high degree of accuracy (hence why it's a competition).

I have yet to need to blame anything on my scope….

I don't really know where this "dominate" PRS is coming from….which PRS? I mean in PRS (regionals?) Even NRL people have different stuff.

Dudes really have all sorts of gear in open division. Once all your place holders from regional start to make their way to nationals, you really start to see the same brands. Where you start to see cheaper budget scopes is in production class..thats for obvious reasons.

@WeiserBucks point about "scopes that work"….most of the scopes in open Div MSRP starting around 3k…they all "work." Half of those models are or have been used in military or government service. They all work.

1723573117566.png

I attached a link to the current 2024 "What the Pros Use" survey and article plus I attached a graph from the PRS homepage reference the scopes used per the PRS member survey.

That's a poll of random people. Half are doing backyard matches, and the majority probably never been to one.

Go to the actual regional match. Shoot stages. The reality is different than the poll.

The graph doesn't scream dominating. Just that it's the most common by a small margin, and again, there's a lot of different divisions that the mark 5 would fit nicely in..especially for the price.

That's a poll of random people. Half are doing backyard matches, and the majority probably never been to one.

Go to the actual regional match. Shoot stages. The reality is different than the poll.

The graph doesn't scream dominating. Just that it's the most common by a small margin.
That poll is the top 200 shooters in PRS.

I just shot a PRS regional in South Carolina over the weekend - lots of Leupold Mark5HDs there - most of my friends compete with Mark5HDs. Headed to NC in two weekends - expect to see a lot of Mark5HDs.

I shoot Vortex Razors but the Mark5HDs are the largest number of scopes at the Southeast and Atlantic matches that I attend.

This is a less scientific and smaller sample survey of PRS scopes from 2023 off the PRV site - probably more responses from Kansas, Oklahoma

What Scope Manufacture are you currently using for Precision Rifle in 2023?

The Top Choice: Vortex Optics

y-using-for-Precision-Rifle-in-2023-_2835-original.jpg

Screenshot-2023-06-08-200454-original.jpg

This is probably the most contested category and it makes complete sense. The number of manufactures competing in this category is large and personal preference is a big part of optic choice. Vortex Optics which has been one of the biggest supporters of precision rifle over the years edges out Leupold, tangent Theta, and Zero Compromise as the top choice a the moment. Both ends of the price spectrum are listed and represented.

Scopes listed under "Other":

• Minox
  • Sig Sauer
  • Primary Arms
  • Trijicon
  • Brownells
  • Element Optics

That poll is the top 200 shooters in PRS.

I just shot a PRS regional in South Carolina over the weekend - lots of Leupold Mark5HDs there - most of my friends compete with Mark5HDs. Headed to NC in two weekends - expect to see a lot of Mark5HDs.

I shoot Vortex Razors but the Mark5HDs are the largest number of scopes at the Southeast and Atlantic matches that I attend.
Same. I shoot the gen 3.
I'm not saying I don't see a lot of mark 5s. I'm saying that I see a lot of mixed scopes. Maybe I'm just not paying attention to how many I see. My crowd shoots zco, nightforce and of course the mark 5.

I'm south west regionals. I'll keep that vague because I don't want my name on here.

Last edited: