Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

There's some very nice rifles out there! I'm building my first one on my own, at 67 years old it's about time. I have everything except the barrel I ordered back in December. Still waiting 😒.

Thank you for the compliment.
I have no prob posting groups, bullets, velocity, but that's where I stop.
Here is the first test group shot out of this barrel that the builder shot, with the side port brake on it.
Target was 100yds, bullets were Northern Precision 270g PinPoints.
Velocity was 2700fps.
I'd say that's about one hellova good starting group isn't it.
Well heck ya that's a great start n finish. Awesome accuracy for sure. Most people outside of the smokless muzzleloader group just cannot comprehend the accuracy we can get. It's just amazing.

Congrats on a beauty

Really? I've seen superior accuracy in these modern in-lines but the calculated muzzle energy seems incredible. Your numbers calculate out to 4943 ft.lbs of energy. The 416 Rigby elephant gun with a 400gr bullet @ 2400 fps makes 5116 ft.lbs. Are you using BH209, or smokeless powder? Sounds pretty optimistic, but...
Here are a cpl 200yd groups that I shot with this gun before the makeover with 275g Fury ST2P bullets. Pics 1&2 are 200yds, pic 1 group is 9/16" CTC Pic with calipers is 100yds with the factory barrel with a brake added & an ignition & BP upgrade. Velocity there was just over 2600fps
The test group was shot with smokeless powder.
There will be no BH209 shot in this gun. That stuff has gotten way too expensive to do ANY target shooting with. That's why I've gone to smokeless in almost all of my muzzleloaders & I'll only use BH209 when I absolutely have to for legal reasons. But I hunt on family land so I do what I want & use smokeless 100% of the time for the last cpl yrs now.
Sorry Dr Mac, it looks like I've been day drinking or started 420 really early. I posted this in response to your post, and it didn't register u til AFTER I hit send that your post was not friggin directed at me.
I'm just gonna go with -senior moment, and leave it right there lol

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0010.png
    IMG_0010.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0009.png
    IMG_0009.png
    345.9 KB · Views: 27
Really? I've seen superior accuracy in these modern in-lines but the calculated muzzle energy seems incredible. Your numbers calculate out to 4943 ft.lbs of energy. The 416 Rigby elephant gun with a 400gr bullet @ 2400 fps makes 5116 ft.lbs. Are you using BH209, or smokeless powder? Sounds pretty optimistic, but...

Not sure why I got quoted? I didn't post any numbers.

I simply commented on how nice the gentleman's rifle looked.

Are these rifles obtainable for under $2500?
Also to what Ninering62 said that build cannot stand the same performance as a true bolt gun made correctly.
Before I got, or should I say after I placed my order with McWhorter for a full custom 45XML I had an encore conversion barrel from Jeff Hankins. Your powder loads are just less. For mine it was a 278 gr Pittman Aeromax at about 2700 fps. My favorite load in my McWhorter 45XML is 10X. 91 grains with 303gr Pittman Aeromax at 3100+.
Way different animal. But not a deer elk moose bear would be happy with the encore load. I know the deer I shot didn't like it one bit.
The break actions work wonderfully and are extremely accurate.

Warning. Getting one like that will only make you go all out custom in short time. Trust me and others here it'll happen. Best of luck

It depends on the rifle. For a TC Encore or CVA Scout conversions, yes, you can get them for around 1300.00. Most bolt action builds will be considerably more.
Yes, that's how I got started. Great shooting Encore setup from Luke at Arrowhead. Then I graduated to a bolt gun. The Encore is an excellent way to get into this.

40 cal smokeless, brux barrel, Manners LRH, Terminus Zeus qc and a leupold mk6 illuminated 3-18 with tmr reticle
View attachment 588126View attachment 588127
Very nice set up.
I am a big .40 fan as well. I've had 2 of them. One of my fav custom smokeless builds is my Brux .40 TC Omega. What twist rate did you choose or did you just take what the builder offered? I do all of my own twist rate calculations & order the barrel myself for the bullet or bullets that I want to shoot, at the velocity range that I want to shoot them. I chose a 1:15 twist.
What bullets are you shooting?
Very nice group, I'm assuming that's at 100yds?
What brake is that?

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 23