Lead times, How long is too long?

Unfortunately, I've had this same experience. I waited it it out, and got the best shooting rifle I own. HOWEVER......I WOULD NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! Waiting a long time is only fine if it is aligned with what was discussed. This has nothing to do with how good said GS is at their work, or their 'honesty, or anything. IT IS BAD BUSINESS TO NOT DELIVER ON PRIMISES. Go get your items and get your deposit back and take your things to someone who cares about your business.

My only other comment, and certainly not blaming you for this, but if I was going to commission a rifle to be built, I would assemble all of the parts myself, and make a written agreement with the smith when I transfer all of my parts to him, as to the timeframes. Timeframes are an enforceable part of any contract, and you do have rights in this process.

I'm not saying you should seek legal action, but don't be soft on it.....you did your part.

It was a blank
You asked what I would do in your shoes, so here's my take:
The smith lied in this case. Failed to deliver. I would arrive in person to get my items from that guy. "If" the donor barrel is something I could hunt with this season, I'd just use it this year, while I sent the carbon barrel to be chambered and threaded for use next year. Reputable and fast turn around for shops with chambering/threading services:
Patriot Valley Arms, PA
Crown Ridge Barrel Works, WA (Fastest)
Fisher T&C, MT
A "semi-custom" I take to be that lathe work, so the rest I can assemble with my level of skills/knowledge/tools. Here is where your mileage might vary. Lol.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I have had this experience with two different gunsmiths over the years. In both cases I waited it out and the finished product was remarkable.
I am older now and won't wait a year for a rifle to be built. I believe you should get your parts back and seek someone else since you have already missed one hunting season.

Many "builders" are FOS. They take your money to buy parts for the guns in front of yours. ALSO, many of the "famous" builders will jump their friends needs in front of normal customers. Say, a high brass PRS shooter needs a re-barrel for this weekend's match, your chit will go back in the box while the "buddy's" gun gets done. Sounds like you got a lesser known "builder" who took your money for guns in front of yours. Even if you buy your own parts, they will be used for another's rifle and parts for yours will be ordered. It's a racket, everyone who buys a lathe is a custom gun builder.

be VERY wary when picking you gunsmith, 80% are terrible. And the work will show it.

I am currently waiting on my first semi custom rifle build to be completed from a well known smith that i would rather not mention at the time as to not cause any waves.
October 2023 i was quoted a 3 month lead time upon talking with the smith about my build, assuming that was once all parts were in hand.

Here is a timeline so i can get your guys thoughts:

Nov 16, 2023 Donor barreled action shipped and deposit paid for carbon barrel.
Nov 21, 2023 Donor barreled action confirmed delivered, carbon barrel length confirmed for order.
Nov 24, 2023 Carbon stock ordered and shipped to the gunsmiths address
Jan 29, 2024 Carbon stock confirmed delivered.
Jan 31, 2024 Scope rail and rings ordered and shipped to gunsmith
Feb 02, 2024 New scope shipped to gunsmith
Feb 07, 2024 Scope, Rail, and rings confirmed delivered
Feb 19, 2024 Carbon barrel confirmed delivered. I was also told approx. 3 weeks out from starting my build.
Mar 26, 2024 Checked in on progress, was told should be getting to it soon.
May 23, 2024 Checked in on progress, I told the gunsmith i was hoping to use this rifle for the upcoming deer season, Aug-Sep. I was told it was coming up soon.
Sep 24, 2024 Checked in on progress, I was told it would be started that week.
Sep 25, 2024 Asked for pictures, once the build gets started as it was my first rifle build and wanted to see the steps taken as it goes through the process. Was told no problem.
Oct 10, 2024 Still no word from the gunsmith, no updated pictures as i sit here writing this...

How long do you guys typically wait on custom/semi custom rifle builds?
How long should a guy go in betweeen contacts with the builder to check on progress?
I understand these things take some time, im pretty frustrated, Ive been frustrated for months now, but at the same time want to see this build through.
I would hate to ask for all my parts back just to start over somewhere else with another lead time ahead of me.
What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?
Get a well known Gunsmith that has made guns that hold records and you will wait 2 yrs or so! Ive had a full BR in 6ppc and build that started as a bedding job that turned into the action was the only thing not discarded and replaced. One took 18 months and the other 2 yrs. I would stop and have a cup of coffee as he lived in the sticks with maybe 1500 people living in a 4 county area. Learned a lot about Smithing and being patient!

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that close to 75% of gunsmiths can either not tell time, or have zero project management skills. My longest wait for a custom build was 7 years and he was a friend.

This is certainly not the only industry where this happens.
I am a qualified engineer builder, I only do projects I want to do these days and they are race type engines, mostly big cube V8 drag engines and V8 marine turbo stuff.
Getting items back from machining is my BIGGEST headache, often, parts aren't done when they were supposed to have been. I don't own a line boring machine, so blocks are sent off for this, I have had blocks disappear and wind up in someone else's parts bin…

My guy, since I sold my 'smithing business, is always on time and lets me know if there is a problem. Since he took over, there has been very little bad words said about him and that's due to him not overstretching himself, which is exactly how I run things.

Cheers.

I could write a book on my thoughts regarding this "problem". But at least for me, customers want me to do the work. Not a helper. So a one man shop that does everything. No, you cant hire someone to do all the other stuff because one man cant produce the income to pay an employee that doesnt earn. The only way I see to reduce wait times is to reduce work load by raising prices. At least thats what every real business man I have talked to has said to do. Raise prices until you have the work load you want. Thats what they say. Very few if any gunsmiths do this. Not sure why as most other industries do.

I could write a book on my thoughts regarding this "problem". But at least for me, customers want me to do the work. Not a helper. So a one man shop that does everything. No, you cant hire someone to do all the other stuff because one man cant produce the income to pay an employee that doesnt earn. The only way I see to reduce wait times is to reduce work load by raising prices. At least thats what every real business man I have talked to has said to do. Raise prices until you have the work load you want. Thats what they say. Very few if any gunsmiths do this. Not sure why as most other industries do.
Great point. Like GAP. George Gardner probably never sees a fourth of the rifles THEY build.