Lead times, How long is too long?

Unfortunately, I've had this same experience. I waited it it out, and got the best shooting rifle I own. HOWEVER......I WOULD NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! Waiting a long time is only fine if it is aligned with what was discussed. This has nothing to do with how good said GS is at their work, or their 'honesty, or anything. IT IS BAD BUSINESS TO NOT DELIVER ON PRIMISES. Go get your items and get your deposit back and take your things to someone who cares about your business.

My only other comment, and certainly not blaming you for this, but if I was going to commission a rifle to be built, I would assemble all of the parts myself, and make a written agreement with the smith when I transfer all of my parts to him, as to the timeframes. Timeframes are an enforceable part of any contract, and you do have rights in this process.

I'm not saying you should seek legal action, but don't be soft on it.....you did your part.

It was a blank
You asked what I would do in your shoes, so here's my take:
The smith lied in this case. Failed to deliver. I would arrive is person to get my items from that guy. "If" the donor barrel is something I could hunt with this season, I'd just use it this year, while I sent the carbon barrel to be chambered and threaded for use next year. Reputable and fast turn around for shops with chambering/threading services:
Patriot Valley Ams, PA
Crown Ridge Barrel Works, WA (Fastest)
Fisher T&C, MT
A "semi-custom" I take to be that lathe work, so the rest I can assemble with my level of skills/knowledge/tools. Here is where your mileage might vary. Lol.

I feel your pain. I have had this experience with two different gunsmiths over the years. In both cases I waited it out and the finished product was remarkable.
I am older now and won't wait a year for a rifle to be built. I believe you should get your parts back and seek someone else since you have already missed one hunting season.