Lead Poisoning

It might be over-sensationalized, but can we say it's all BS without offering our own conclusive counter-science/proof? I doubt anyone on here would be so confident of their position of denial that they'd intentionally ingest lead to make a public point. There's a reason steel shot is required for waterfowl.

While I do use lead bullets, I'm also mindful of how I handle lead components. When cutting up game, I will waste a little meat rather than carelessly tossing it all in the grinder. That's me, but I've been in the medical arena enough to see what heavy metal toxicity can do to a person. The actual risk when something is ingested is a variable affected by age as well as by where/how/how much is in the body.

Of course, we can bring up all kinds of other factors that cause death to animals, and while those might be legitimate issues, to pretend this is a non-issue because something else might be a higher-risk issue is a bit of distraction and denialism.

There's also the side of it that if we shooters don't stay ahead of some of these issues, we lose in the end. By demonstrating that we care about the environment and act responsibly, we can help to mitigate some of the pressures we perceive as against us. 🤠
It might be over-sensationalized, but can we say it's all BS without offering our own conclusive counter-science/proof? I doubt anyone on here would be so confident of their position of denial that they'd intentionally ingest lead to make a public point. There's a reason steel shot is required for waterfowl.

While I do use lead bullets, I'm also mindful of how I handle lead components. When cutting up game, I will waste a little meat rather than carelessly tossing it all in the grinder. That's me, but I've been in the medical arena enough to see what heavy metal toxicity can do to a person. The actual risk when something is ingested is a variable affected by age as well as by where/how/how much is in the body.

Of course, we can bring up all kinds of other factors that cause death to animals, and while those might be legitimate issues, to pretend this is a non-issue because something else might be a higher-risk issue is a bit of distraction and denialism.

There's also the side of it that if we shooters don't stay ahead of some of these issues, we lose in the end. By demonstrating that we care about the environment and act responsibly, we can help to mitigate some of the pressures we perceive as against us. 🤠
I'm just trying to figure out why Feenix is commenting on my post when was instructed by @Len Backus Backus to ignore me,

I see this as a different approach towards banning firearms. One of the reasons we have firearms is for hunting. Make hunting too expensive and the numbers behind hunting diminishes. Once that happens the reason to legally own firearms vanishes. That's my opinion.

That will be their argument…….unfounded, but their argument! memtb

I remember a time on instagram when a popular energy drink company would tell their "insta-hoes" to video/post about a certain new product. All of their hotties would post a similar pic or video at the same time. It was obnoxious, patronizing, obvious and totally turned me off of whatever item was being marketed. It actually helped push me to "unfollow" whatever bought off hottie I had been following . Last week I deleted instagram because the social media product no longer gives me a net benefit.

I now fill my formerly social media time with hobby forums.

There's currently a few posts on this platform about lead ammo and how it negatively affects wildlife. I'm pretty sure the idea being "promoted" is that lead is bad and that there's some cutting edge climate friendly options we should be looking into.

I hate when companies hamr an idea down my throat. I'm sick of my simple joys in life, like drinking a cold Bud Light, or reloading ammo, be tainted by vapid attempts to market a product with hints of social agendas.

Are there any teetotalling knitting forums I should get into?

I think as with all environmental issues, we ought to have an open mind and consider the topics. That said, we must question everything. Is lead consumed by birds and other scavengers containing lead detrimental to them? I think we can all agree that it is not "healthy" for them any more than injesting it ourselves. The question becomes one of effectiveness or "return on investment".

There are likely far more important issues to the environment and wildlife than the trace amounts of lead and guiding metal consumed during the few months of hunting seasons. I believe these issues to be real, but most don't Crack the top 200 things that would have the greatest impact.

For example, "green energy" is worth pursuing at some point, but the reality is that the greenhouse emissions will likely be defined by the poorest people on the planet. It is something that is a luxury for some and not even a consideration for most of the world.

Recent Posts