Labradar- What’s needed?

I've thought about getting a Labrador, but I don't understand why they don't have packages so the accessories would be cheaper. I think that the case is needed for protection. I've been holding out but now I have new computers and Chrony wants $75.00 for new software, I just might bite the bullet. I do like the muzzle blast shield idea.

I haven't used a blast shield with a brake, but haven't used too many braked rifles with it yet.

I find it is very picky about having the muzzle of non-braked rifles inline with the face of the unit, but a braked rifle can (should?) stick out a bit and easily trigger the unit. So, I extend the barrel on those further forward which may be why I haven't had an issue.

. . . but I don't understand why they don't have packages so the accessories would be cheaper. . . .

That's so they can make more money off of you. :)

Just consider the cost of the case and mounting platform to be part of the purchase cost, and evaluate from there whether it is worth it to you.

Also, I would throw in an external battery pack and SD memory chip, too.

Last edited:
I have never used a blast shield even with Ultramags with brakes I just moved it out of the blast path works fine but a solid stand or tripod is a must! If your shooting session is more than an hour or two at a time get the battery pack and any good USB battery pack will work.

I'm finally going to break down and buy a good chrono. I was never very happy with the magneeto.

Anyways, for those of you that have a Labradar what accessories are "needed"? I see that a new base is recommended. How is the carry case that comes with it?

I will be using this from a bench, prone on concrete, and prone on dirt/grass.

Joe
you will need the bench rest they sell and i recommend the powerpack thats rechargeable !

I bought a hard case from Rctic. Just couldn't go with a soft case to protect the Lab.
https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/hard-cases/RTIC-18-Medium-Carrying-Case-Black

Considering that the Labradar is a pricey piece of equipment AND it is made out of relatively fragile plastic, a hard case makes a lot of sense.

Axl - how well does that hard case in your link work for the Labradar? Your link is to the 18" Medium case, based on now having used it, is that the size you would recommend? Any room for accessories, like an external battery pack? Any other helpful comments worth noting? TIA!

@Axl a picture of the RTIC case would be great. I have a few of their coolers and really like them

I use a full-size tri-pod, and set it to the side of the shooting bench, and an inch or two in front of the bench. The radar is set for 18". This helps with the blast from muzzle brakes, which are set about 6" in front of the unit. I have an L shaped rod that I use to push the buttons without leaving my seat.

This tri-pod will be too tall for prone shooting. I would go with the wood base and screw thru the middle as mentioned earlier. Estimate the size of base needed, and then add 2-3" as the unit is rather heavy.

Considering that the Labradar is a pricey piece of equipment AND it is made out of relatively fragile plastic, a hard case makes a lot of sense.

Axl - how well does that hard case in your link work for the Labradar? Your link is to the 18" Medium case, based on now having used it, is that the size you would recommend? Any room for accessories, like an external battery pack? Any other helpful comments worth noting? TIA!
It is a pretty heavy duty case and is water/dust proof. i have one of the plano cases i won and its not in the same league as the Rtic.
With the medium size there is a space about 11"x 5" remaining after putting the LR in. I put a external battery pack, cables, and a small tripod in mine.

EAAE06C5-763E-42D2-A068-9BF170679744.jpeg
F3F2E84E-9839-4C34-9813-866057F92BF6.jpeg

Here's some interesting ideas from phantomprecisiontactical.com

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.