Kowa 553 glass issue?

wscott406

hey, gents -

I got an amazing condition Kowa 553 with original box etc originally sold by cameraland (amazing guys) - and have been using it the last few weeks, I don't know if it's just me but the glass seems bad. Very very underwhelming even with tons of attempts to focus both wheels at various ranges. Very hazy and the 13-39x56 razor I came from was way better. Even the athlon before that.

Has anyone seen issues like this before? There literally isn't a single mark to the body or glass and nothing I can think of or see that would be causing it.

Super bummed with only weeks before the season. Not sure what to do.

I'm not s glass snob by any means, which leads my reasoning for thinking something is wrong. These are regarded as one of the best options on the market for hunting purposes and my 509 dollar athlon seemed significantly better. I am fighting to gain any clarity at all it seems at distance. There are small pockets of clarity if I can hold my eye just right in the eyepiece but it's no bueno.

I'm not s glass snob by any means, which leads my reasoning for thinking something is wrong. These are regarded as one of the best options on the market for hunting purposes and my 509 dollar athlon seemed significantly better. I am fighting to gain any clarity at all it seems at distance. There are small pockets of clarity if I can hold my eye just right in the eyepiece but it's no bueno.
Call Cameraland and see if they can check it out or replace.

Did you originally buy it from Cameraland, or did you buy it second-hand from someone who purchased from Cameraland? Your post is worded a bit funny.

The former or latter situation would indicate to whom you should place a support call/email to get your spotting scope repaired, though I'm sure Doug could offer insight as to the comparison between it and your Athlon since he sells both.

Did you originally buy it from Cameraland, or did you buy it second-hand from someone who purchased from Cameraland? Your post is worded a bit funny.

The former or latter situation would indicate to whom you should place a support call/email to get your spotting scope repaired, though I'm sure Doug could offer insight as to the comparison between it and your Athlon since he sells both.
I got it used from rokslide, but it is only about a year and a half old and had apparently sat in the guys safe the last year as he used the larger 77 model. in perfect condition with the neoprene cover, original box with cameraland sticker, etc. I don't believe the gentleman sold me a dud, at least knowingly. I think I understand that Kowa warranty is transferable? May be wrong.

hey, gents -

I got an amazing condition Kowa 553 with original box etc originally sold by cameraland (amazing guys) - and have been using it the last few weeks, I don't know if it's just me but the glass seems bad. Very very underwhelming even with tons of attempts to focus both wheels at various ranges. Very hazy and the 13-39x56 razor I came from was way better. Even the athlon before that.

Has anyone seen issues like this before? There literally isn't a single mark to the body or glass and nothing I can think of or see that would be causing it.

Super bummed with only weeks before the season. Not sure what to do.
Contact kowa customer service.

Always my pleasure to assist the members here. Give me a call, 516-217-1000

I got it used from rokslide, but it is only about a year and a half old and had apparently sat in the guys safe the last year as he used the larger 77 model. in perfect condition with the neoprene cover, original box with cameraland sticker, etc. I don't believe the gentleman sold me a dud, at least knowingly. I think I understand that Kowa warranty is transferable? May be wrong.
I wouldn't specifically know about Kowa's warranty, and it looks like Doug has offered up his assistance. I'm sure he has plenty of comparison experience and can offer insight on how the scope should function.

And I agree, I think someone passing along a dud is an exception to the rule that most people go into online transactions with the expectation of it being a positive experience for both parties...especially if they are an established forum member with good feedback.

I was mainly getting at the point of, despite Doug/Cameraland being an absolute class-act who goes above and beyond, his replacement/return policy may not extend to second-hand and you may have to expect to go directly to Kowa if it does in fact turn out to be a faulty unit. And that is in now way a poor reflection on Cameraland.

But you'll know more once you speak with him. I typically advocate for contact of the company or reseller before bringing an issue to a forum, as you'll nearly always have your problem solved much more promptly...and without every individual's subjective opinion or self-justification on what brand they went with.

I have the Kiowa TSN-883 (25-60X). When I ordered it I jumped for the 2x or 3X amplifier for $140. Thought that was pretty cheap compared to what I paid for the scope. Well that was a waste of money. Only the center of the image is clear when it's on. Terrible aberration at the edges. From 40-60 power without the amplifier I'd say clarity isn't ultra good. It's been some time since I looked thru a friends Swarovski scope of similar power but I remember being in awe. I've never had the two side by side which I plan to eventually do this winter. If they're night and day I will definitely upgrade.