Kowa 553 glass issue?

wscott406

hey, gents -

I got an amazing condition Kowa 553 with original box etc originally sold by cameraland (amazing guys) - and have been using it the last few weeks, I don't know if it's just me but the glass seems bad. Very very underwhelming even with tons of attempts to focus both wheels at various ranges. Very hazy and the 13-39x56 razor I came from was way better. Even the athlon before that.

Has anyone seen issues like this before? There literally isn't a single mark to the body or glass and nothing I can think of or see that would be causing it.

Super bummed with only weeks before the season. Not sure what to do.

I'm not s glass snob by any means, which leads my reasoning for thinking something is wrong. These are regarded as one of the best options on the market for hunting purposes and my 509 dollar athlon seemed significantly better. I am fighting to gain any clarity at all it seems at distance. There are small pockets of clarity if I can hold my eye just right in the eyepiece but it's no bueno.

I'm not s glass snob by any means, which leads my reasoning for thinking something is wrong. These are regarded as one of the best options on the market for hunting purposes and my 509 dollar athlon seemed significantly better. I am fighting to gain any clarity at all it seems at distance. There are small pockets of clarity if I can hold my eye just right in the eyepiece but it's no bueno.
Call Cameraland and see if they can check it out or replace.

Recent Posts