Italy travel and experience, go someday and experience it!

My wife and I went in 2021 when it opened after covid. We really enjoyed our trip. We went to Rome and Florence. I would have to say, I enjoyed Florence over Rome. We did most of the main attractions. But for me the food stole the show. Everywhere we ate at was delicious. By far some of the best food I have ever had. We even ate at one of the best steakhouse's in the world. We finished our trip with a pizza making class in Florence. That was really fun. I would definitely go again, but would do the smaller towns on the next trip.View attachment 608432View attachment 608433View attachment 608434View attachment 608435View attachment 608436
We ate there also. Was excellent.

IMG_3494.png

The air looks real clean & clear.

My grandfather was a WWII merchant mariner engineer, who frequently stopped at Venice before, during end, and right after WWII.

His first cruise was on the MV Western Plains in 1918 with a load of goods to Constantinople, Turkey and took on 2,500 tons of Turkish tobacco there for delivery at Philadelphia, Pa with a stop at the Azores.

I have a 80-90 year old water color painting of a Venice harbor scene that was acquired in Venice, possibly during that trip. The painting is hanging on the wall next to our gas fireplace in suburbia Montana.

Will provide photo of painting - great display of light reflections on water.

Ops Italian photos are smashing good!!!!

Photos:

Water color painting circa 1915?? Amazing detail!

IMG_2419.JPG

Screen shot, Google Maps, circa July 2022, lat 45.47 N, lon 12.28 E, Punta San Giuliano, Italy. East of entrance to Venice.

Screenshot (994).png

Real old!

Family history as shown by inherited items & other - real important. I often gaze at the painting while sipping a George Dickel on ice. In a former life I was paid to find stuff from areal photos.

Last edited:
Just back from my honeymoon in Europe - went to Luxembourg, Belgium, France and Germany. Did France, Spain and Italy about 8 years ago now - it was fantastic.

I will never fly in to Paris for the same reason as the OP - clearing customs is a CF. I recommend you fly in to Zurich, much better - zero hassle! We did it DIY - we planned our first two nights in advance and then planned the rest as we went, very ad-hoc and fun.

The Pope decided to visit Luxembourg the day after we arrived, our hotel was across from the Grand Ducal Palace where he was gonna hang out so we lit out for Vianden - what a cool town. Thanks for sharing the pics - looks like a great time was had by all. :)

My wife and I went in 2021 when it opened after covid. We really enjoyed our trip. We went to Rome and Florence. I would have to say, I enjoyed Florence over Rome. We did most of the main attractions. But for me the food stole the show. Everywhere we ate at was delicious. By far some of the best food I have ever had. We even ate at one of the best steakhouse's in the world. We finished our trip with a pizza making class in Florence. That was really fun. I would definitely go again, but would do the smaller towns on the next trip.View attachment 608432View attachment 608433View attachment 608434View attachment 608435View attachment 608436
Now That's a Steak!

Hi all,

Just back from a trip to Italy where we visited Rome for 3 days, Tuscany countryside for 4 and Florence for 3 more days. I must say it's a beautiful country from the small part I saw. We started in Rome and saw all the sights worthy to us to see but Rome is a big city and very dirty, not our cup of tea. Florence is another large city but much cleaner and easier to walk we found. In Florence your in a large valley with beautiful countryside surroundings and a lot of History worth seeing and the ancient art work and sculptures were amazing. We really enjoyed Florence but again it's a city.

To break up the visits to the city we spent some time about 30 miles outside of Florence in the Tuscany country in a little village called "Montefioralle". We took the bullet train from Rome to Florence. $55 for both of us which was very good IMO. This is very old small medieval village/castle that was run down and then rehabilitated by the local residents of Greve and other surrounding areas. It's amazing and the country is amazing. Wild boar and Red deer abound. This was the highlight of the trip for us. We rented a small car at the train station in Florence and drive all over the area, ate great food, drank great wine, met fantastic locals. We rented the car and got right of Florence as you don't want to try and drive around the city of Florence. I must say the people we met in this area were very welcoming and appreciative of USA residents. So in our journey to the Tuscany area of Montefioralle we stopped at the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial and this place was just, well, ….. made me so proud to be an AMERICAN and brought me to tears. The sacrifices our Veteran grand parents and great grandparents made back during WWII is all on display here and memorialized. I believe there are 4 sets of brothers buried here. I was so overwhelmed we ended up sitting and walking the grounds for a good 2 hours. This land and place was donated by the Italians some time ago and there is also one down by Rome. If you go to Italy ever and are in the area DON'T miss it, you'll regret it if you do. Here's some pics to enjoy…. I know this isn't about hunting or shooting but just thought you'd enjoy my short story and experience.

Best, Joe Stumpf
Tucson, Arizona

View attachment 608329
View attachment 608330
View attachment 608331
View attachment 608332
View attachment 608333
Joe,

This brings back some fond memories. 2002 was the last time we visited Italy (mostly in the Rome area) while stationed at RAF Lakentheath, UK, and we enjoyed every bit of it. I also visited Aviano Air Base and Sigonella Naval Base. My wife and I need a return trip. Thanks for sharing.

Ed