Is there something undesirable about imr 4831?

Hey all, just a random thought to pick your brains. Is there some reason imr 4831 isn't half as popular as hodgdon h4831?

Temp sensitivity differences?

Also how do the burn rates compare IN YOUR EXPERIENCE (I'm fully capable of looking at a chart).

I just never see half as much data for imr 4831 as h4831 AND on the auction sites it never fetches quite as ludicrous prices (though it's all nuts).
Used both in my 270's the IMR is faster burning. Nosler reloading data use the IMR powder.

It's funny Bruce Hodgdon got his start with selling 4831 powder, But many don't know that it was IMR 4831 that he was selling. It was military surplus pull down powder, If I remember correctly it was IMR 4831 pulled down from 20mm Vulcan rounds. Anyway, I'm not sure when he started selling H4831 but it's been a long time now and the load data is definitely different between the 2 powders, About the only similarity is burn rates. And H4831 is made in Australia.
Are you saying it's an ADI powder? AR2213SC is supposed to be the doppelgƤnger of H4831SC? ADI powders are very good from my experience with them

Nothing undesirable about IMR 4831 for me! When I started reloading years ago I was introduced to IMR 4831 for my 280 Remington. That 280 Remington is long gone but I now use it with 140 grain bullets in my 280 AI. I keep all shots under 500 yards.
There has probably been more IMR-4831run through a powder dispenser than any other powder known to man. The 4831 of today would be H4831sc , not as bulky allowing more case fill and less sensitive. H4831 and H4350 probably can load 90 plus percent of the different cartridges we have , not too their full potential , but pretty close.

Are you saying it's an ADI powder? AR2213SC is supposed to be the doppelgƤnger of H4831SC? ADI powders are very good from my experience with them
Yes much of Hodgdon powder is ADI powder, I had 4 pounds of AR 2208 and it was interchangeable with Varget. I was given it by a friend who was in the Ammunition industry. He also gave me some powders that were never available to the public.

Retumbo in extreme cold can bridge to the point of blowing up the gun in what is a safe load in near freezing to summer temps. I've not experienced this but saw the results of a 7rum and a 300 rum that were fed retumbo.
I have some experience with 4955 going from nothing to bang the bolt open in 1 grain increase in the 6.5 creed. I have 7.5 #s for back up but I don't plan on using it unless I run out of preferred powders in the cases that utilize similar burn rates for that powder

I'd like to hear what Hodgdon would say to this? Personally, i've never experienced this down to 0-5 F from at least 80 F load workup temps. Just my personal experience.

Yes much of Hodgdon powder is ADI powder, I had 4 pounds of AR 2208 and it was interchangeable with Varget. I was given it by a friend who was in the Ammunition industry. He also gave me some powders that were never available to the public.

Have since found out a lot of Hodgson powders are actually from Australia H1000 = AR2217 etc (ADI)

I started out using H 4831 in my 270 Win with Light cases. 185 to 186 grn range. If I remember correctly, I read something by Jack O Connor in his book, back in the 70's. So I tried it, and It worked with the 130 grn Bullets I use for deer. Change to the Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic tips about 8 years ago. Works just fine!! I have stayed with it. I have no doubt IMR 4831 would have worked just as well. I have hunted in under 30 degrees, and in 55 degree temps. Hunted when it was snowing and when it was frozen rain. I have never had an issue with that powder. My Weatherby Mark V Ultralight , with the 24inch barrel, really likes it. At 74 years old, I think I will just keep using this load for whitetail deer.

Have since found out a lot of Hodgson powders are actually from Australia H1000 = AR2217 etc (ADI)
Yes, That's what the article I quoted said, Which I have known for a long time, It says made in Australia on the powder canister. H4831 and many other powders that Bruce Hodgdon sold when he first got his start selling powder were just re-packaged surplus IMR POWDER.

Recent Posts