Is there something undesirable about imr 4831?

I used irm in 3 different burns, 4320, 4350 and 4831 for over 33 years when I was only loading for 264wm and 270win. The last 5 or 6 years I've added a lot more cartridges to the stable and a lot more bullets per caliber. 25 bullets just in 26cal for 264wm alone. Barnes, Berger, Lapua, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Speer and Swift and the need for a larger powder selection has increased. In the pre '64 I don't and am not going to change a proven load for 100 and 140gr Sierra's with imr4831. No need to.

Hey all, just a random thought to pick your brains. Is there some reason imr 4831 isn't half as popular as hodgdon h4831?

Temp sensitivity differences?

Also how do the burn rates compare IN YOUR EXPERIENCE (I'm fully capable of looking at a chart).

I just never see half as much data for imr 4831 as h4831 AND on the auction sites it never fetches quite as ludicrous prices (though it's all nuts).
Its not as stable over wide temp changes

its slightly faster burning the hodgdon

its powder kernel shape is much longer then hodgdon and this can cause some powder bridging issues in the case shoulder/neck junction depending on case design.

that said, in most applications it works extremely well. Just not the newest, SEXY option being pushed by the industry. Finding faults with it is really nit picking to be honest.

Recent Posts