Is a 270 WSM an adequate elk round?

Thanks guys! Problem solved! I appreciate all the info!
There are also similar threads below.
1729849607308.png

I was going to build a lightweight elk rifle in 7 SAUM. I have a NIB Christensen Arms Summit Ti Thumbhole in 270 WSM and was wondering if the WSM is a 500 yard elk rifle?

According to the test target, the CA shoots 1/2" with 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. I would rather use the rifle I have instead of building a new rifle. Thanks in advance!
A buddy used my model 70 FW 270 wsm to kill a cow elk in WY at 100ish yards. She was quartering hard to us. He shot her center, just above the brisket and the bullet a factory 130 gr Nos BT chrono'd at 3300 fps, went under the hide, blew a hole as big as my fist and penetrated about 2 ft and stopped under the ribcage on the offside at about the last rib. She went 49 paces with a so so shot. I have switched to a 129 LRX, as the 130 gr Nos BT and Berger CH and vld-h do to much damage on deer at close range imo.
This was in a blizzard, with a 50 mph cross wind, it was a fun hunt. That's the only factory ammo that was as fast as they say it was on the box, I've seen. I'd say absolutely the 270 wsm is plenty capable under 500 yards on elk. But the way that 130 gr Nos BT blew up in soft tissue I would shoot a solid/LRX/ttsx in case you hit the shoulder to ensure it goes through it. New phone can't find a pic.

I was going to build a lightweight elk rifle in 7 SAUM. I have a NIB Christensen Arms Summit Ti Thumbhole in 270 WSM and was wondering if the WSM is a 500 yard elk rifle?

According to the test target, the CA shoots 1/2" with 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. I would rather use the rifle I have instead of building a new rifle. Thanks in advance!
I've killed several elk with my 270wsm at that distance. 140 Gr. Hornady. As with any caliber you must have excellent knowledge and shot placement.

Not shooting the 270 WSM, but having Killed many Elk with the "underpowered 270 W, using the 150 gr nos, plastic tip the 270 WSM should do just fine. Shot placement for any gun, Caliber is important! Good luck in your ELKHUNT,

I seems you got the point here but but these guys are a bit suttle at times so here is my Son's ballistic chart (out 900yrds)for his somewhat warm hand loads. You will see it is very capable with just under 1800 fps (the standard for good bullet performance)at 900 and that burger bullet will perform well at even a bit under 1800fps.
That being said we shoot (practice)to a thousand but he will not shoot at big game past 500.

Attachments

• 20241025_041226.jpg
    20241025_041226.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 19
I have taken 5 cows and a 5 point bull with a 270 wsm.
Absolutely it will kill elk.
1st cow elk was hit on a hard quartering shot at less than 100 yards. I can't remember the bullet weight but was a federal fusion either with 130 or 140 grain.
Bullet impacted behind front shoulder and clipped the top of her stomach which was full of hay from farmers field.
Enormous amount of tissue and blood shot meat I was pulling out clumps of hay under the skin from the rear leg bullet was a pass thru.
I ended up putting a faster twist barrel on it to keep up with the 6.8 western. That hasn't been working out so well for me because of the barrel maker not because of anything else.
As of this years elk hunt I shot the 5x5 bull elk in front of the shoulder and hit the neck it went maybe 4 yards spun around and hit the dirt. Shot was standing at 200 yards with a 165 gr Accu bond long range
Bullet going 2800 fps very little meat damage but still enough energy to fracture the scapula and break the spine with the bullet passing by it and not directly impacting the spine.
Furthest shot was at 400 yards on a cow elk with 140 gr interlock hit high shoulder passed through and again massive tissue damage and blood shot meat

There's an eye-opening thread on Rokslide featuring the .223 rem with the 77gr Sierra TMK. There's over 450 pages and 8,500 replies to the thread, many of which with photos of actual kills on elk, deer, bear, moose, and mountain goat with the 223. There's a cheat sheet on page one. The wounds are devastating. It was hard for me to wrap my head around, but after reading some, it's hard to argue.

That said, I'm sure the 270 WSM will be just fine. But take a look at that thread. It should answer any question you ever have about packing enough caliber for something.

Recent Posts