increasing headspace on newly installed factory original fixed shouldered barrel

The barrel nut certainly isn't under any major stress, when you fire a round the barrel goes one way the action the other way, so 100% where the shims located it opens minutely as the surrounding steel stretches slightly (elastic zone) this is basic engineering 101 stuff
A shim that was perfectly tight around the tenon (they are never tight, there are several thousandths of clearance) it would still only be taking on the hoop stress proportional to it's thickness (0.005" in this case). No different than the recoil lug, barrel, and action tenon.

So while it isn't a high strength barrel or action steel , it's still steel. Even if it copper... it is of such an infinitesimally small thickness compared to the other components, that it eats into the safety factor of the barrel+recoil lug+action tenon by virtually zero

I don't disagree that it's a shortcut. But sometimes the easy answer is just the best answer, and in this instance I fail to see any real cons

A shim that was perfectly tight around the tenon (they are never tight, there are several thousandths of clearance) it would still only be taking on the hoop stress proportional to it's thickness (0.005" in this case). No different than the recoil lug, barrel, and action tenon.

So while it isn't a high strength barrel or action steel , it's still steel. Even if it copper... it is of such an infinitesimally small thickness compared to the other components, that it eats into the safety factor of the barrel+recoil lug+action tenon by virtually zero

I don't disagree that it's a shortcut. But sometimes the easy answer is just the best answer, and in this instance I fail to see any real cons
Why not do it properly, just saying

I'm curious how you arrived at the conclusion that it's .005 short chambered with a go and no go gauge?

How are you measuring?

Good, cheap and fast pick any two LOL
That is a fun statement but not always true. Every now and then, something checks all 3, and you just learn to call that "better" but I digress. I dont actually thing shimming is better. But its feasible. And not worth fretting over

That is a fun statement but not always true. Every now and then, something checks all 3, and you just learn to call that "better" but I digress. I dont actually thing shimming is better. But its feasible. And not worth fretting over
Fretting will be the outcome pun intended
1723697541470.png

That is a seriously underrated comment😂
But with or without a shim, use antiseize or risk galling haha
Stainless steel action and barrel do have a tendency to gall & seize if you're not careful. The nickel based ones I prefer over copper with rifles.
I think my main point with doing dodgy shite is you get mission creep, standards keep dropping each time.