IMR 4350 Why is it so Expensive,?

All this talk is echoing what I have been noticing as well. IMR4350 is $75/lb. at Cabelas and Bass Pro. Prior to that it was $65lb, that inventory ran out, then you couldn't get it. Next time it was available it was $75/lb. It was available in 8lb containers, but not cheaper ($75x8) so there was no incentive to buy the 8lb jug, other than you could get 8lbs of it.

$35-$40 lb powder use to be $26/lb powder.

Have you priced primers? Availability, at any price? I recently had to get some LR primers. I use CCI or Winchester. Can't get them anywhere, in a brick and mortar store. I know a guy that sells at gun shows and he can get them. The last brick I bought (CCI-200) was $140, 6 months later that same brick was $190. I swore I wouldn't pay $140, but did, I drew the line at $190. Small rifle primers are $90, not sure about small and large pistol.
You've gotta go somewhere else for your stuff; I suppose it's an hour or better to get anywhere else though. The last brick of rifle primers I bought (less than a month ago) was 80... The last time I bought powder was a keg of 570 for 340 plus the tax man. I see a lot of stuff crawling over that price but they can keep it...

Find a nearby Cabelas or Bass Pro shop. Get it off the shelf. No hazmat or freight added

BTW--There are a couple of wars going on.. These guys shooting at each other are using up a bit of POWDER TOO

BTW--There are a couple of wars going on.. These guys shooting at each other are using up a bit of POWDER TOO
In a conversation with a powder mfg. he cited the war in Ukraine for the shortage of LRP for the civilian market and the lack of the new Enduron powders.

I've been checking with Midsouth, Natchez and Midway. Not much help. There is a gun show here this weekend but they venue and the promoter have went up on attendance and parking fees. Between parking and gate it's $22/day. I'd still go, but the last few times haven't been very productive.

Last edited:
In a conversation with a powder mfg. he cited the war in Ukraine for the shortage of LRP for the civilian market and the lack of the new Enduron powders.
To the best of his knowledge. Probably so, because that is what everyone tells him. But think about it, a little on your own. I find it quite funny how we can buy Vihtavuori for less than Hodgdon. "But the war in Ukraine." One would think they would be getting the VV powder seeing how it's closer. Imagine all that match ammo being used up over there. Let's not leave out the poor Jews & Palenstinians. But yet the Jews send their ammo here for sale. lol
Vihtavuori is a member of AFEMS,
the Association of European Manufacturers of Sporting Ammunition.

Last edited:
I find it quite funny how we can buy Vihtavuori for less than Hodgdon. "But the war in Ukraine." One would think they would be getting the VV powder seeing how it's closer. Imagine all that match ammo being used up over there.

You do understand why 'boots' from Wish & Temu, are cheaper than buying actual boots from JK/Whites/Nick's don't you?

-Nammo buys their components from China.
-Thales and General Dynamics produces theirs.

😉

You do understand why 'boots' from Wish & Temu, are cheaper than buying actual boots from JK/Whites/Nick's don't you?

-Nammo buys their components from China.
-Thales and General Dynamics produces theirs.

😉
Yeap good old UNIONS at work. With the help of Govt intervention. lol

Last edited:
There is currently only one private smokeless powder manufacturer in the United States, that is General Dynamics. The only other sources of powder manufacturing in the United States, comes from whomever has a contract to operate a government arsenal. Radford is being operated by British Aerospace(BAE systems), for an example..

No extruded powders like IMR 4350 are made in the USA.

Hodgdon Powder Company offices are located at 6430 Vista Drive in Shawnee, Kansas. The Powder magazine, packaging and manufacturing facilities are maintained about 140 miles southwest of the main office, in Herington, Kansas. Additional magazine space, located on a closed military base, is also leased from the City of Topeka, Kansas. They bought out IMR, Winchester, rimshot and a few others. Just have to look up hodgdon

Hodgdon Powder Company offices are located at 6430 Vista Drive in Shawnee, Kansas. The Powder magazine, packaging and manufacturing facilities are maintained about 140 miles southwest of the main office, in Herington, Kansas. Additional magazine space, located on a closed military base, is also leased from the City of Topeka, Kansas. They bought out IMR, Winchester, rimshot and a few others. Just have to look up hodgdon
They’re not made in the USA, they’re packaged in the USA. IMR is actually made in Canada.

Look at this thread!

I did some tests with IMR4451 in my 30-06 and it did excellent. I liked what I was reading on the temperature stability of this powder, but it is produced in Australia and availability on all the Enduron IMR powders is non-existent.

Recent Posts