I'm Done With Remington

Remy-love em or leave em has been debated nemorous times before on LRH and what's interesting is the posts all mirror each other in various categories:

1.) alot of folks that have had faulty rifles and are done with Remys.
2.) few but far too many who have had faulty rifles and keep buying them.
3.) most in 1 & 2 agree Remy Tech Support is unsatisfactory.
4.) a few that own 14gazzillion and everyone shot like a BR rig (I didn't include
these folks in rating Remy's Tech Support as they never had any issues).

I'm going to oversimplify this to keep it short but, Some companies call it the triangle. Quality, Time, Cost. Pick any two you want but you cant have all three otherwise you go out of business. They have decided to go with Cost and Time so you get inexpensive and readily available but quality suffers and trust me they have reams of paper on type of defects/number of units blah blah blah and it's an acceptable number to them so long as they move X number of units at Y price and keep cost associated with defects to Z amount or below. It's not that they need a wake up call...they don't...it's their business plan and it works.

Bottom line and I say this with no sarcasism but you get what you pay for...it's a roll of the dice. Think about it, 6-700 bucks retail of which maybe they get 4-500 bucks of that...now what do you think your going to get? Heck you can't get a custom action for that, a custom barrel not much less than that, a custom stock not much less than that, smith's labor more than that. There's hope though...If you want to buy a remy then purchase one from those that have 14gazillion that all shoot accurately.

Remy has a niche, a Marketplace they can satisfy and they do cause they sell them by the boatloads. IMHO the Marketplace majority they are tuned into is not in LR shooting.

I had a rem 338 ultra that would always have a hard bolt lift and scratches on the case and no the loads were not hot, this was with factory and reloaded ammo..

I have since bought another Rem but it will be my last... Their quality has gone to hell

I kind of agree with Chas1, except i think there is two more point to the corporate triangle, and it should not be called the pentagon. The demand and greed added to it. Remember that 2009 was one of the most productive year in history for the gun and ammunition makers. The Obama effect brought them lot of buisness. Some of them have not been able to keep up with their orders and still backed up for months, I have not seen hand gun ammunition on the shelf for over a year here in CA. I read in an article a few days ago that Ruger is behind till March with there production. Ruger reported a production growth of 69.3% in the first quarter of 2009 with 500,000 units order. 25.6% increase in the fourth quarter of 2008 when Obama was elected. So i believe now they have five points to juggle in their corporate triangular system. Now if i look back to last summer, I consider myself lucky to even be able to speak to anyone in the QA or Warranty department. Chas1, $1000+ production rifle should be taken a little more attention, it is not a $100 pee shooter. There is a lot of other rifles out there that are bellow this cost and better performers form other manufacture, I just made a poor choice when i purchased this 700 XCR. I was proud to buy Remington till now. Did you looked at the hacked job they did on my scope mount base screw holes. My 10 year old would have made a better job fixing it. Shoving a screw in a misaligned hole and auger it out till it fit. ***. I will need to buy or make an oversized screw and increases the clearance to the base to make this right. I sent it back and gave them a chance to fix it right and they hacked it for me. I should have fixed it my self by modifying the scope mount and I would have still had a tight screw hole for the base just for the peace of mind. Well this covers the demand part from my point of view.

I did a quick search on the net to see some of the big US firearm manufacturing stock portfolio and Ruger had tripled there stocks in 52 wk's period from 5.95 to low to 15.20 high while most other companies are falling deeper. Then I found that Remington is owned by a Cerberus Capital Management. Well that explains the quality of the Remington firearms now. Do a search on who Cerberus is and look at what they do and own. Cerberus Capital Management owns 80% of Chrysler and 51% of GMAC. That should say it all.
Gun maker Remington Arms is sold to Cerberus Capital - USATODAY.com
I for sure will never buy a Remington Fire arm again from a company that will care about profit to share holders rather then quality of the product they put out. A fire arm to me is a life time purchase. I will not replace it after 3 or 5 years like you would do with a car or stock. I intend to keep my firearms for ever or as long as I can. That will conclude the greed part of my view. So i will be dropping of my Remington 1100 from my list and look at the Benelli M2 much closer for my next firearm.

I had a sendero in 300 rum that would not shoot factory ammunition to less than 4" at 100 yards. I handloaded and got it down to under an inch. But, I noticed the brass was really changing shape. I did not know as much as I do now, but basically my factory chamber was almost an improved RUM shoulder angle was completely different than others I had seen. I sent it back to Remington out of warranty and they sent me a new gun not even a week later. Said the chamber had rings in it, and was oversized. I am not sure what the rings part meant, but the customer service was good, but the new gun did not shoot well at all. I ended up trading it in on a Savage model 12 vlp in 300 wsm. this gun shoots just about anything i put through it to under .75" and most stuff closer to .5" or less. To say the least, I am very happy with the savage.

And dissatisfied Remington firearm owners/users said... Amen.

Chas1 nailed it. It's all about the accepted business model that maximizes profits.

Trikepedaler, I'm sorry about the hack job your left with...any chance a smith or maybe a machinest could re-drill and tap...I'm neither so just a thought. In my previous post I was thinking about the ADL's & BDL's so your right 1000 bucks you'd think you would get better than you did. Thanks for sharing the part about remy being sold...good to know.

Chas1 Im not a gun smith but i know a thing of two about machining and fabrication. I will machine a larger diameter screw if i have to and enlarge the scope mount hole. I even think i saw somewhere an oversized screw that is made for loose screw holes. Like 0.020" over screw. The loctite is working ok for now. If i have any problems with the scope moving on me I will go that route. I know a lot of customers says that they had a good experience with Remington so did I. My XCR is not my first Remington. I just don't believe that i will buy a new one again. Love my 870 and I would not trade it for any other pump and it is over 20 years old. I really believe that Remington quality and customer service went down the drain when the company was bought out by an investment firm that does not know anything about firearms or so. Look what they done to Chrysler and GMAC. I think once i install a good after market trigger that i can adjust down to 3-3.5 LB will be an OK hunting rifle. It is sure pretty.

I been working on and off an old Winchester P17 I bought some years ago. I got it cheap because it was butchered so I decide to sporterize it some more. It should be a good shooter when finally finished. I haven't worked on this project in at least a year. Like I said I'm not a gunsmith just learning things as I go. Check out the link P17

Last edited:
I just ordered (December 2009)a new Remington 700 SPS SS 270 for a customer. The front holes for the scope base were drilled but not threaded. I had to make a 115 mile house call or a little boy would have had a disapointing Christmas. If the gun had been sent back to Remington it would have been after the deer season was over before he got the gun back.

I called Remington and gave them the information, including the serial number and the distributor. They only seemed half interested and offered me nothing for the repair.

I recomend for all my customers who are building a new rifle to start out with a custom action, as they will be happier in the long run.

Nat Lambeth

Ok---will try and be diplomatic here but it is hard because there are so many folks who have no idea of what they are talking about. Cerberus has put millions and millions into Remington in order to modernize the Capital Equipment and the Processes involved in the manufacturer of firearms.

One of my good friends was involved in this (on the Leadership Team) and is very pleased with what is going on. For the uninformed Ruger had the chance to buy Remington as well as Marlin but did not. Up until the time Cerberus started infusing massive amounts of Capitol into Remington and streamlining the operations they were bleeding money and would have declared bankruptcy and shut the doors within 3-6 months as they were technically already bankrupt. Cerberus also bought Dakota and we all know about the low life crook that owned them previously so that is an improvement.

What some folks don't know is that the Executive Leadership within Cerberus likes firearms very much and has really pumped the money into the Remington Custom Shop as well. So before you open foot and insert mouth so to speak lol might find out what the facts actually are.

All of this being said I have been building my rifles with custom actions for a while now just so I do not have to worry about how, when or if it will shoot. Most of this started when I started in competition shooting and my association with my good friend, HOF Shooter and Smith who by educating me on what makes a rifle perform (shooting technique, the rifle, loading equipment and the associated tools and knowledge to use them properly) has cost me a lot of money --- but I Love It!!

Going to put the rings (just bead blasted them Saturday after I got home) on the 300 Jarrett we built last week tonight while watching the Frogs play!

BOSS HOSS:

If they have gone modern IE: CNC then how did they forget to tap the front screw holes. It is in the "process".

Ask your friend how they are throating their chambers.

Dave Kiff swears they are buying and using SAAMI spec reamers.

The throats are predetermined and don't change on a reamer.

I have a Model seven barrel that the throat was .137" longer than can be accomodated by a 2.808 mag box.

I have had several customers model 700's with throats way beyond SAAMI spec. Especially on 5R milspec barrels.

Kevin Rayhill once told me that he thought they were using flex hones on their chamber throats.

I personally have over 29 Remington model 700s or model 7s. have been a long time supporter of them for over 40 years. It is not like I enjoy bashing Remington. It just seems they just keep shooting themselves in the foot no puns intended.

Boss if you look at the capital expendatures being put into Remington logic says it is for the up coming military contracts not the civilian market.

Boss I am sorry but in my opinion I think you have been taken advantage of by your friend at Remington. Again in my opinion the QA at big green has been on a rollercoaster from hell.

I enlighten my customers to the benefits of custom action clones of a Remington.

Nat Lambeth

Nat,
Good thing you're a gunsmith - having that many Rem 700s & 7s. At least you have the know-how and the equipment to correct any defects. That takes some of the risk out of purchasing one.

The only Remington bolt actions I buy are used ones that have already had the actions trued by a competent gunsmith, with aftermarket barrels installed. Picked up two from a guy on this Forum in the past 2 years and been happy with both. But I've decided to avoid any that come straight from the factory.

trikepedelar, You did an excellent job of cleaning up the bolt assembly and your talent with wood carving looks like an expert did it. Overall it's very impressive and great pics. Once you've completed you'll have to post some pics.

Having served on and managed Leadership Teams pre and post take over. I'm not at all surprised that a member would put forth the company line. Pouring millions in doesn't mean great QC or customer support is now healthy. Id be concerned if they poured millions into their custom shop....based on what folks here are saying it ain't their custom shop that's turned folks off. Whatever the parent company is doing it's not netting any benefit to folks here as evidenced by customer feedback here. So to go back to what I said in an earlier post their marketplace is not the LR market. If anyone has anything in print from an independent source that supports a more favorable situation at Remy, I would be happy to review otherwise as they say the customer is always right and a bunch here think there's a lack of QC and customer support.

Things sure can change and how. I was out just today shooting a 700 in 6mm Rem that was built in 64 (if I have my letter K correctly) and what was amazing to me was that it will hang with some rifles that are supposed to be worth a whole lot more. It's just an old ADL that wouldn't bring much if I were to sell it but I wouldn't trade it for a new 700 even up. I've looked at them in the stores and they just don't look like they are what they used to be. I bought my youngest son a 700 in 30-06 when he was a teenager and offered to buy it from him just this year when we were out deer hunting, he laughed and said something to the effect that I'd already bought it once. But I'd buy him a brand new rifle to get the one he has, he's aware it's special and has no intention of parting with it. He killed a nice buck with it that day, I had mounted a spare Leupold on it for him and zeroed it, man is it wicked accurate.
It's a shame they don't build them the way they used to.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.