Ideas for reducing recoil without brake

This would be my choice in your situation: Witt Machine clamp on brake. They’re not pretty but they work. I have two of them, my brother has one. All on barrels too small diameter to thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
This would be my choice in your situation: Witt Machine clamp on brake. They’re not pretty but they work. I have two of them, my brother has one. All on barrels too small diameter to thread.
Do those set screws dig into the barrel? I have a Gen 1 Browning BAR that was the, first rifle I ever purchased. It’s a 300 Win Mag and I have considered the Witt brake but won’t use one if it marks up the barrel.

Do those set screws dig into the barrel? I have a Gen 1 Browning BAR that was the, first rifle I ever purchased. It’s a 300 Win Mag and I have considered the Witt brake but won’t use one if it marks up the barrel.
No they don't touch the barrel. They screw into the brake itself for the clamp. I've not had one mark up the barrel in any way. These are very effective.

They don’t touch the barrel. I’ve got one on a 300 Win Mag and it works very well.

If you want to consider brakes, here is a review I wrote. I like the Kahntrol and it will fit a range of barrel diameters.

1719783470798.jpeg

trying to convince my dad to get out for an antelope hunt. Kind of a last hunt together sort of thing. Probably just a damage doe hunt with minimal walking. Due to some medical concerns he’s very recoil shy. Particularly concerned about a scope bumping his eye - with his condition that could cause permanent damage to the one good eye he has left leaving him blind. So I need something that has the recoil of a .22 :)

I have a little rem 700 mountain rifle in .243 that I’m thinking about fixing up for him. I’d say his max range would be 200 yards, maybe 300, so it should be enough to do the trick. The barrel is paper-thin, so I’m assuming threading for a brake is out of the question.

My thought is to add a recoil pad and a scope with lots of eye relief. I’m also wondering if I can add some weight to the gun somehow, preferably without messing up the POI? It’s a very light gun I use for backpacking, so if I could slip something on for him, then take it off when I’m using it that would be best. Alternatively, is there some sort of heavy-duty tripod I could set up in the field that would clamp the gun down and absorb most of the recoil?

Any ideas welcome.
22-250 with 80 grain bullets. Build or purchase a heavy gun for him to shoot. If your going with him, you'll need to carry it due to weight but my 22-250 AI is a dream to shoot with 80 grain bullets. Weighs in around 14-15lbs but no felt recoil. Kills deer wonderfully.

trying to convince my dad to get out for an antelope hunt. Kind of a last hunt together sort of thing. Probably just a damage doe hunt with minimal walking. Due to some medical concerns he’s very recoil shy. Particularly concerned about a scope bumping his eye - with his condition that could cause permanent damage to the one good eye he has left leaving him blind. So I need something that has the recoil of a .22 :)

I have a little rem 700 mountain rifle in .243 that I’m thinking about fixing up for him. I’d say his max range would be 200 yards, maybe 300, so it should be enough to do the trick. The barrel is paper-thin, so I’m assuming threading for a brake is out of the question.

My thought is to add a recoil pad and a scope with lots of eye relief. I’m also wondering if I can add some weight to the gun somehow, preferably without messing up the POI? It’s a very light gun I use for backpacking, so if I could slip something on for him, then take it off when I’m using it that would be best. Alternatively, is there some sort of heavy-duty tripod I could set up in the field that would clamp the gun down and absorb most of the recoil?

Any ideas welcome.
Hmm, Limbsaver recoil pad, an adjustable cheekrest, with an adjust the length of the stock with spacers to ensure a good a fit for him(note the Limbsave recoil pad added about 0.5 inches which made my savage stock fit me better) is probably the best way for him to shoot comfortably. I had acquired some Edwards recoil reducer devices (similar to mercury devices), when my daughter was little. I have tried a clamp on muzzle brake on my old savage(before Re-barreling it to another caliber) seemed to help, I believe I got that from Witt machine and tool. If you want to spend some dollars look at the chassis systems, some have weights to make the stock heavier.

Any ideas welcome.
I finally read your initial post.
If you have access to a ar15 with a 18” barrel and collapsible stock you could set up the rifle with a longer eye relief scope.
I would load some 62g bullets to 5.56 spec., that way he could shoot very easily to 300 yards with very minimal recoil and very little chance of him getting hit in the eye with the scope.
I push my 62g 5.56 hunting ammo to military 5.56 specs which is higher than 223 specs.
I can’t tell any difference in recoil between the two but the performance is definitely a lot better.
I would recommend Barnes TTSX or Sierra game kings.
Those would be antelope thumpers

Any ideas welcome.
I finally read your initial post.
If you have access to a ar15 with a 18” barrel and collapsible stock you could set up the rifle with a longer eye relief scope.
I would load some 62g bullets to 5.56 spec., that way he could shoot very easily to 300 yards with very minimal recoil and very little chance of him getting hit in the eye with the scope.
I push my 62g 5.56 hunting ammo to military 5.56 specs which is higher than 223 specs.
I can’t tell any difference in recoil between the two but the performance is definitely a lot better.
I would recommend Barnes TTSX or Sierra game kings.
Those would be antelope thumpers