Idaho Investigating Technology Limitations for Rifles

Muddyboots

"The committee will develop recommendations to the Fish and Game Commission on what technology might be allowed and what might be restricted or regulated."

My understanding includes turrets, electronics such as rangefinders, Blue tooth to optics, environmental electronics, etc. There is thought to limit somehow🤷🏻‍♂️ due to potential "erosion of fair chase". There is no doubt concern at wildlife department level that technology is starting to intrude into the "fair chase" concepts that is highly protected at wildlife agencies.

This issue has been brewing for few years in several states so not surprised. The growth of long range hunting, impact on fair chase, right or wrong, seems to be driving this concern.

I cannot fathom how this can be legislated. IMO, rangefinders improve humane kills on animals even if not at "long range" at moderate distances.

Is this the result of a few so called YouTube influencers? Examples of ill equipped hunters trying LR shots resulting in game loss?

IDK, something is driving this. Commercials showing how easy to BT rangefinder optics where crosshair lights up hold? Optics with built in systems?

Where do you think this is going to land?

Don't overlook cellular cameras and drones as part of the overall fair chase concerns so really not surprised.

You make some good points. Some states already limit technology, Boone and Crockett limits things so my guess is that they will limit at least some of the things you mention. JOMO, nothing fair chase about shooting an animal at 1000yds+. Len doesn't allow ethics discussions and rightly so as we certainly don't want anti's hearing such discussions, I agree and I have mine so I will simply say I believe everyone should have their own self imposed limits and it should reflect their skill and equipment level. Take away the electronics and what is your skill level then? My personal limits are always 500-600yds with/without electronics and something that still has a LOT of horsepower/ftlbs at that distance. And I prefer closer than that.

I think that Idaho "considered" stopping the use of the 50 BMG for hunting back in the late '80's. Actually, I thought that they had done it.

I remember watching a news show (one of the alphabet networks I think), showing hunters(?) with tripod mounted 50 BMG and a support member (hunter) with a tripod military type (probably the best at that time) shooting elk across a wide canyon! The truck was shown in the background with had hauled the gear and team to the shooters position.

That's all I have to say on this topic. memtb

Good reminder, please keep ethics etc out of this so we can have reasonable discussion on an agency considering limitations on technology relative to fair chase.
The whole discussion is on ethics and what constitutes fair chase, and you are the one who posted it!

I think some folks on this site would think a laser capable of killing an animal as far as you can see it would be a great thing.

Idaho has some of the strictest regulations on hunting equipment in the nation. They only recently started allowing muzzleloader bullets that aren't solid lead and are the only state that doesn't allow mechanical broadheads.

My guess is they'll limit what you can have mounted to the rifle, not what you can have with you. Bow hunters can carry a rangefinder, but can't use a Xero sight. I'm betting they'll adopt similar regulations for rifles, banning stuff like Burris's Eliminator scopes but still allowing external rangefinders and ballistic calculators.

It seems their goal is different than what most states are trying to achieve with muzzleloader restrictions. The increased restrictions on muzzleloaders generally aim to increase opportunity (and income) by reducing success, not address concerns about fair chase.

without electronics my personal limitation would be greatly reduced, without a rangefinder I couldn't consistently tell you the difference between 3 and 4 hundred yards, for me, that 100 yd difference could be the difference in kill or miss or worse end up with a wounded animal,
when the door gets opened and politicians are involved, unfortunately there is not telling where it will end,
prime example: Iowa, changed from shotgun/Muzzle loader to allow straight walls and other cartridges, whet the lawmakers rewrote allows anyone to use a 375 RUM now instead of a shotgun, but cant use a 270 or 30-06, not sure that is what their initial intension was when they did it but here we are. I won't say what I used or will be using there lol

I think most hunters have self imposed limits to how far they will shoot . I know two states New Mexico and Utah have implemented bans on magnification for muzzleloader hunts . There was a ton of talk about 1k muzzleloaders that came up . I would hope the department would look at harvest numbers for these hunts but I don't know . I've got a guided muley hunt in Utah I won a few years back and had been putting together a muzzleloader for the hunt right when the scope thing came up . I had just put a 5x25x56 nightforce on the muzzleloader. I've taken a few elk all shot within 100 yds muzzleloader or rifle . My eyes need the extra mag for clean shot placement. I've since bought another tc encore and a fixed 1 power scope . The 5x25x56 will sit and be used here in my home state while it's still legal.

I think most hunters have self imposed limits to how far they will shoot . I know two states New Mexico and Utah have implemented bans on magnification for muzzleloader hunts . There was a ton of talk about 1k muzzleloaders that came up . I would hope the department would look at harvest numbers for these hunts but I don't know . I've got a guided muley hunt in Utah I won a few years back and had been putting together a muzzleloader for the hunt right when the scope thing came up . I had just put a 5x25x56 nightforce on the muzzleloader. I've taken a few elk all shot within 100 yds muzzleloader or rifle . My eyes need the extra mag for clean shot placement. I've since bought another tc encore and a fixed 1 power scope . The 5x25x56 will sit and be used here in my home state while it's still legal.

Yes…….the "ethical" ones. Sadly, there are some that call themselves "hunters" are not limited/bridled with ethics. This in itself causes the powers that be to intervene……affecting everyone! memtb

The only restriction, I've see, Idaho has that would somewhat affect long range capability was rifle weight. A hunting rifle has to be under 16 LB. That's been in effect for a several years now.

""In Idaho, it's illegal to use a firearm that weighs more than 16 pounds, including the weight of any attachments, sling, or scope, when hunting big game animals. This restriction applies to all hunts, including any-weapon seasons. ""

The whole discussion is on ethics and what constitutes fair chase, and you are the one who posted it!
Disagree. Fair chase can be simply how far can you shoot with technology. Does it remove fair chase from hunting? Ethics is a personal opinion versus an agency trying to determine if brackets are needed for fair chase.