I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

I am no hero, I get knocked around by recoil too, but I manage it better than most by correct posture and foot placement when shooting off-hand and, as I shoot F-Class Open with a 264WM & 300WM from prone, I am handy at field shooting from hastily assumed prone positions.
Once, and only once, have I received a scope hit to the eye, and that was a 300WM Super Grade, shooting prone, scope hit my glasses and bounced into my nose, left a small graze, not a cut.

Recoil is all about fit and function, if the 7RM or 300WM are too much for you, then a 30-06 is probably too much too.

Cheers.
The 06s I've shot hit harder on the back side than any 7RM I've fired anyway. The 7 mag kicks downright gentle for the fine work done on the other end.

Great thread. I have been toying with the idea of a new 7 Rem. Mag., but have a Rem. 700SS in .270 Win. that will shoot 1/2 MOA, and 3 .30-06 rifles that will shoot 1 MOA ...The deer and pigs would never know the difference, BUT.... it's a new toy! ‍♂️ LOL!

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.

Can't see much wrong with a properly twisted 7 Mag. I'd be looking to launch Bergers or Hornady ELDs.

John

I've run a .270 Win since 2007. I've killed lots of Mule Deer and one cow elk with it. I stepped up to bull elk in 2018 and bought a 300 WM specifically for that hunt. Loaded up with a Barnes 175 LRX I headed off to the mountains, doubting why I had bought an entirely new rifle that weighed an additional pound when my 270 would have been just fine.

By the fourth day of the hunt I was wearing out. I had seen a couple bulls but wasn't able to get to them in time to take any shots. I was climbing a hill and looked back to see two cows and a shooter bull coming out of the trees right where I had just walked. I was out in the wide open and I knew those cows would spot me if I moved much. I dropped my pack and pulled up my range binoculars. I ranged them at 500 yards, closing the gap. At 440 yards, the lead cow jumped the fence, immediately caught my scent and stopped dead in her tracks. The bull took a couple more steps right up to the fenceline - 445 yards. He plopped his two front legs over the fence and stopped mid-gait; literally with his front legs standing over the fence and his belly and rear end still on the other side. By this time I had moved my pack around looking for a steady rest and was unable to find one given the shooting angle they had put me in. I continued to watch the bull as the three were sorting out what smell they were smelling. The only shot the bull ever presented to me was full frontal. Had I been able to take the shot it would have had to fly 445 yards, penetrate his chestplate through his muscle and bone, all the way to the vitals with enough energy to quickly dispense him. It was that moment that I stopped second guessing the 300WM. It was at that moment that I realized by the fourth day I was more willing to take "iffy" shots. Could a 7RM have done it? Possibly; probably with the right bullet. Would the 300 WM have made it happen? Absolutely. Confidence is the reason I choose my 300WM over a 7mag or 270. It sucks to practice with. It kicks my a**. But it sure is nice to know I have enough gun if an "iffy" shot presents itself. I would not feel the same level of confidence in a 7RM so I will continue to take "more gun" to the mountains for elk.

No happy ending to the story - the bull lifted his legs back over the fence and went back to where it came from. I'm headed back to that same spot this season with my 300 WM to go seal the deal on him.

Last edited:
I've run a .270 Win since 2007. I've killed lots of Mule Deer and one cow elk with it. I stepped up to bull elk in 2018 and bought a 300 WM specifically for that hunt. Loaded up with a Barnes 175 LRX I headed off to the mountains, doubting why I had bought an entirely new rifle that weighed an additional pound when my 270 would have been just fine.

By the fourth day of the hunt I was wearing out. I had seen a couple bulls but wasn't able to get to them in time to take any shots. I was climbing a hill and looked back to see two cows and a shooter bull coming out of the trees right where I had just walked. I was out in the wide open and I knew those cows would spot me if I moved much. I dropped my pack and pulled up my range binoculars. I ranged them at 500 yards, closing the gap. At 440 yards, the lead cow jumped the fence, immediately caught my scent and stopped dead in her tracks. The bull took a couple more steps right up to the fenceline - 445 yards. He plopped his two front legs over the fence and stopped mid-gait; literally with his front legs standing over the fence and his belly and rear end still on the other side. By this time I had moved my pack around looking for a steady rest and was unable to find one given the shooting angle they had put me in. I continued to watch the bull as the three were sorting out what smell they were smelling. The only shot the bull ever presented to me was full frontal. Had I been able to take the shot it would have had to fly 445 yards, penetrate his chestplate through his muscle and bone, all the way to the vitals with enough energy to quickly dispense him. It was that moment that I stopped second guessing the 300WM. It was at that moment that I realized by the fourth day I was more willing to take "iffy" shots. Could a 7RM have done it? Possibly; probably with the right bullet. Would the 300 WM have made it happen? Absolutely. Confidence is the reason I choose my 300WM over a 7mag or 270. It sucks to practice with. It kicks my a**. But it sure is nice to know I have enough gun if an "iffy" shot presents itself. I would not feel the same level of confidence in a 7RM so I will continue to take "more gun" to the mountains for elk.

No happy ending to the story - the bull lifted his legs back over the fence and went back to where it came from. I'm headed back to that same spot this season with my 300 WM to go seal the deal on him.
I've mentioned in one of my posts later in the thread, I've shot multiple elk with both the 7rm and 300wm. Put a barnes, accubond, swift A-frame, or a good old fashioned hornady SP interlock, (any of those in 160 gr or better) on top of a 7rm and it'll penetrate as well if not better than a 300win with the same bullet.

Like I said, bullet construction and sectional density seams to make far more difference than power.

Your 270 with a barnes or hornady gmx would cut through a front facing elk like butter.

My first rifle was a Mauser 3000 LH in 7mm Rem Mag. Bought it in 1974. Over the years a lot of deer have been shot. Only 2 at 500yds or so. No laser in those days, just top of the antlers holdover. My 7mm still has the original 3x9 Vari-XII scope mounted in Weaver rings. The rifle is a shooter. I will never sell it.
I did get a M700 LH in 270 Win and shot a lot of deer with it. The longest shot taken with a 270 for me, was 385yds (lasered) using a Tikka T3 Lite SS.
The vast majority of deer shot has been less than 175yds.
This year, I am going to use my Ruger #1 Bicentennial in 6mm Rem. It shoots bug holes and I am comfortable out to 350 yds with it.
To wrap this up, I agree with others that there is a strong marketing campaign driving the new trends in cartridges and super duper rifles. I do not buy the efficiency hype and I do not give a hoot if I use 2 (or 10) extra grs of powder to reach a certain level of performance.
I think the 7mm Rem has withstood the test of time for a very good reason.
The only thing I will add is that the 280 Rem is a fine cartridge and worthy of consideration, especially if you reload.

No reason not to stay with the 7mm Rem Mag.

These days, it's about platform, not caliber.

There is nothing new when it comes to ballistics. Any trajectory for bullet weight and caliber today was equalled decades ago with something else.

What is new is the platform, and bullet variety. What is popular is the platform. The resurgence of rifle shooting amongst new shooters today is due to the phenomenal success of the Creedmoor platform, which is less to do with caliber and more to do with properly bedded rifles, adjustable stocks, availability of scope rails for almost any make or model, and heavy profile free floated barrels. All that available over the counter, and accurate with factory ammo.

In the old days, we took a wooden stocked, pencil barrel rifle, spent months tinkering with it and developing loads, and if we were lucky, ended up with something accurate. Or we gave it to a gunsmith to do it for us at great cost.

Now you can walk into any gun shop and buy accuracy off the shelf.

I found a Ruger 7mm Rem Mag on auction and bought it as my youngest son's first rifle. We have a long waiting period for licenses, and if when he gets it doesn't shoot so great, it'll be easy to create a long range tack driver, at no great cost.

I think that the 6.5's are the BEST because that's what all the cool, bearded, 511 pants wearing "Tactical Guys" at the range use....and they all know what's BEST. They love saying things like, "I'm running 140 Berger's."

Come on guys, you know who you are;)

PS Why do the cool guys say "Running" now? We used to say, "using."

I really think that most of these cartridges have their place in one form or another. I sometimes you need a ratchet with a 1/4 inch drive sometimes you need a 10mm wrench. Sometimes you need a impact driver.
Point being, as what's always being discussed in guns a sporting goods gear is there are advantages and disadvantages in gear.
Ie:
I could say a .308 is better than a 7mag because the barrel with last at least 50% longer and there is soooo much information and tips for getting dope for that particular cartridge.
One could say a 7mm mag is better because of its flat shoot high bc capability.
A person with 5 shoulder surgeries might disagree with both parties and want a .243 lol

Anything else, to me, is splitting hairs...like the old 9mm vs .45 acp debate..

I really think that most of these cartridges have their place in one form or another. I sometimes you need a ratchet with a 1/4 inch drive sometimes you need a 10mm wrench. Sometimes you need a impact driver.
Point being, as what's always being discussed in guns a sporting goods gear is there are advantages and disadvantages in gear.
Ie:
I could say a .308 is better than a 7mag because the barrel with last at least 50% longer and there is soooo much information and tips for getting dope for that particular cartridge.
One could say a 7mm mag is better because of its flat shoot high bc capability.
A person with 5 shoulder surgeries might disagree with both parties and want a .243 lol

Anything else, to me, is splitting hairs...like the old 9mm vs .45 acp debate..

Great Post. Yes the old 9mm vs 45 argument...I've seen plenty of people killed with both. With modern, hollow points Bullets, there is NO difference

I shoot F class competition. For those of you not familiar with that we shoot 600 and 1000 yards at 1 minute 10 rings. If these "rtridges were so good why don't you see them on the firing line? Round of choice for 1000 yards, 284 Winchester with the 184 gr. Berger. I have not seen a single nor heard of anyone using a Creedmore. They are a fad!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.