I gotta know

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post about "shoot shovel shut up" is just a saying that's said a lot here in Idaho BUT I buy a wolf tag every year for that one chance that while big game hunting I'll get a shot at a wolf. If I ever got the opportunity to pull the trigger on a wolf you bet your *** I'll be tagging that dog and bringing it home to rug out! That's one hell of a trophy that don't happen often!!

I grew up in Idaho and like to hunt deer and elk up by Salmon. I always have a wolf tag on me. I usually see at least one or two when I am out there and it has always been while hunting on horseback and usually a ways off the beaten path. I haven't done a dedicated wolve hunt, but since I always have my hand calls on me I have done a few stands while elk and deer hunting with the hopes of calling a wolf in. Only called in coyotes, never a wolf.

I was archery elk hunting in the Uintahs with a buddy for a few years - caught two wolves on trail cameras down there and saw one while we were hiking. He was only 30 yards away and he was big! Tried to get the 10mm unholstered and get a shot off, but he bolted. Accoring to Utah fish and game there are no wolves in Utah and they didn't want to see the trail cam pictures. I don't live in Utah or hunt there much, so whatevs.

Utah DWR is smart to say there are no wolf in Utah. As soon as they do admit they are here the environmentalist crowd will go crazy and demand more and more are added. Throw those pics away. lol. I am from Utah if you cant tell.

Utah DWR is smart to say there are no wolf in Utah. As soon as they do admit they are here the environmentalist crowd will go crazy and demand more and more are added. Throw those pics away. lol. I am from Utah if you cant tell.
I get it:).
I suppose you are right. Since they don't exist I am guessing its ok to kill them? Just write it off as a large coyote? Lol.

I live in Wyoming, almost surrounded by wolf habitat. (The state won't confirm them in the Bighorns, but they are there).

I am not sure why you made this comment. The Wyoming G&F Dept. has confirmed numerous times that wolves have been in the Bighorns by taking photos of wolves during big game surveys and when investigating damage claims. They have also checked in wolves shot in the Bighorns but, the public does not hear about those because it is against state statute for G&F employees to give out that information. If a person that has shot a wolf publicizes the info in the media (print or social) then a G&F employee may repeat that information.

What the G&F Department has said is there is no evidence that a pack of wolves has become established in the Bighorns. They are well aware of wolves passing through the area.

ClearCreek

I hunted 40 days this fall.Had wolf above and below me on a ridge near ID,one yapping and one howling,they where very close,I thought I would get my chance at a slight open area NO.That is a normal season for me,one year after general I went out 15 days in a row in wolf sign no luck.Gal rides in on snow cat and shoots one.Been in them multiple times with no shot,dont even see them.Was coming home from a dinner with wife and one ran across road.One of my kids friend shot one walking area I hunted my whole life.Seen most everything hunting,wolverine at 20 yrds,9 grizz this spring.Wolf no luck for me

I shot about the 13th one ever killed legally in ID and haven't had a shot at one since. I've seen quite a few but none close enough or holding still long enough. That was September 2008 and it happened to be on my birthday. I howled it in and shot it at about 300yds. It was a 90lbs female.

I've seen several dozen, most I've seen at once was 12....I live smack in the middle of several pack ranges and I spnt more time than the average person in the woods. I've howled them in but this was early on...heard more than I've seen and initially they were easy to get vocal. Not so much now. They offer a guy lots of opportunity to "hunt" they are terribly smart but the biggest thing is the amount of ground they'll cover, unlike anything you've seen! They are machines! The wildlife nuts'o's effectively deleted a native species when they introduced this version of killing machine. Out natural wolves (AND THEY WERE HERE) are now gone! We need more hunters seeking them out but moreover more trappers! That's the only way...
I've had friends with whole hound packs killed and been close enough to a pack to think about climbing a tree! I've had hunts ruined and been actively stalked. They are no joke and between them and idfg the hunt8ng in Idaho has gone to ****. My .02

Iclimb I am with you. I live on the other side of the state across from you. I have been involved with these things before they were introduced. I have hunted them a lot. They were easier to kill before they were shot at. That's all I will say.

Iclimb I am with you. I live on the other side of the state across from you. I have been involved with these things before they were introduced. I have hunted them a lot. They were easier to kill before they were shot at. That's all I will say.
Where did you find them before they were re-introduced in Idaho? What year? Just curious as I like to learn. mtmuley

They were in central Idaho. I mean I'm sure they were everywhere. The old knowledge is that the wolves we had were a lot smaller and more of a scavenger, not as territorial....this is bolstered by the rancher knowledge that interacted with them forever... vs the monster killers that are the Canadian. The Canadians kill everything that is within their territory so not only did they kill off the original bloodline but also with the probability of not ensuring a pure bloodline for the species we had before...

mtmuley are you insinuating that the original wolves that were here in Montana and Idaho were not typically a much smaller animal??? With maybe the exception of the ones in the 12 foot snow country right along the Canadian Line... If so please explain where you get your information... Maybe accounts from Wolfers , Ranchers, or maybe old photo's of them with weights...The propaganda used by the Fish and Wildlife Services to shove wolves down our throats isn't credible info in my opinion...

Where's you're proof to the contrary? Did the "monster Canadian" wolves just stay across the border until 1995? I killed a big male a few years ago. Didn't weigh it but he was hardly a "monster". So, yeah. I'm "insinuating" that the wolves here now are one and the same as the wolves that were, and still were here before re-introduction even happened, the same animal. The difference being the re-introduced wolves got a ride to Lamar Valley and the Frank instead of walking. mtmuley

Being related to the first white Baby born in Virginia City Montana that became ranchers after the gold rush... I will take their words and stories on this subject over yours or the Fish and Game Propaganda each and every time..Their father the original Pioneer from Wales that walked out here from Pennsylvania was also and is listed as a Original Pioneer of Alaska...He walked all the way to Alaska from Virginia City, Montana for the Gold Rush there... He stated that the wolves up north were at least 2 times the size of the ones that were here in Montana...And he very well knew what the average size of the Wolves here were as they had killed more then a few protection their livestock... A big male was said to be around 75lbs or something like 1/3 bigger then a large male coyote... I lived in Missoula when this so call big Wolf Migration came.... In the 9 Mile Valley on the Thistead Ranch ( the ranch Andie McDowel??) bought were 5 so called migration wolves from Canada... You could drive up the road and they would lay 20 foot out in the field ... They acted just like town dogs... whistle and the would whine and bark at you more like a dog then a wolf... These so called killers of the north had the F and G bringing them road kill so they didn't starve... even though their was a herd of over 100 elk living right in the same field as them...This I saw with my own eyes.. Were Wolves always here... maybe in very Isolated pockets But I hunted lions from the 1970's to the 2000's and It was well after the reintroduction before I ever found tracks anywhere here or even in the upper Bighole where we spent over 60 days lion hunting every year..So you can insinuate all you want... but that don't make it so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts