I gotta know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had wardens tell me shoot shovel shut up.

I've only seen one wolf during the day, but have been surrounded by a pack howling all around a buddy and I in the middle of the night, on the side of a hill in the middle nowhere in Idaho panhandle. We had seen wolf tracks all over, and had hiked in after elk we glassed up that evening.

We find wolf kills all the time up here.

.....shut up.........

Most can't.

......I've had wardens tell me shoot shovel shut up........

Don't trust there is any substance to their words.

I've had 4 or 5 tags in hand while hunting the provinces for other species. No luck. I have seen a few. My partner missed one in BC.

I started a wolf rifle longer ago than I like thinking about. When it's finished I'll probably book a hunt in Alberta. Some of the folks involved in such things, are getting better to the point of reasonable odds. Bait sets and heated blinds. I know some good trapline outfits, but I'm only interested in shooting one.

Do most of my trapping/hunting for wolves in Manitoba if I have time to run a open area trapline and not away for work 3-4 a season sometimes 1 while hunting during the Big game season.... if we have all year round calving...I usually wind up overwatching the back section of land starting November thru January and get a couple..lot more coyotes..Mules have harvested some young ones every other year..

Farm/Ranch operations can get Kill permits and insurance sign offs as long at they let trappers on the property to try and mitigate the predation against livestock instead of treating it like free money...you can use rifles, don't have to use traps, just restricted to SP or HP bullets, because even during trapping seasons the Wolf is considered Big game animal in Manitoba...so no FMJ...

morning, to the wolf and coyote hunters on this forum
and around the trapping and hunting world.
shoot shoot shoot. wolves and coyotes r cold
blood killers. no mercy. justme gbot tum

Several years back a hunting area near Tok was depleted of moose and caribou to the point the natives were having a hard tie finding enough meat for survival. The Alaska game dept decided to remove as many predators as possible. Grizzleys were trapped and removed black bears and wolves were killed by any means they could. In 5 years there were as many moose as ever and also as many wolves as ever.

Don't live in the west. Had planned to hunt in Co this season but broke my back and ribs 2 days before we were scheduled to leave in October. Last season my mom was hospitalized and couldn't make time to hunt due to managing her house health and budget. She lives 225 miles from me.
Normal year myself and 2 friends have averaged 100 coyotes a year together. This is done by gun no trapping. We hunt bait sets we run hounds we call and we also work with about 35 farms when they are getting ready for calves lambs or kids. It looks like I won't be able to go till January at least. Does it help? My mom has seen more twin fawns twin moose and many more bear cubs. This since we started 5 years ago with the hounds. We have seen denned up bears dug out and eaten by coyotes here so I'd imagine that wolves do the same thing on a bigger scale out there.
If you do nothing you are not doing your part as a sportsman to help keep our traditions alive.

I always have a tag in my pocket right next to my bear tag. Tags are cheap, no need for the three s's anymore.
I've seen plenty of sign and a couple distant wolves but nothing even close to a shot opportunity. I don't hunt for either of them, I'm just an opportunistic predator. Last year I got my bear rug, It's an odds thing for me. Spend enough time in wolf country hunting and and it's bound to happen.
My day will come.

Last edited:
I always buy a tag when hunting in Idaho. I missed one once. They are very cleaver. In Wyoming outside the park they are considered varmints. I have seen one in the Bighorns but to far off. He was lucky. We will cross paths again.

I'm pretty sure that in MT as a non resident all you need is a base, a conservation, and a tag. I think it's about 30 bucks for your base and conservation and 50 bucks for the tag. You can buy 5 if you'd like. As a resident, it costs me 10 bucks for a wolf tag.
I know MT can be expensive to hunt for non residents, but in this case, it looks like we're encouraging you come out and kill some wolves!!!

No problem, I didn't take it that way.
Thought it best to post the rest, for all to read.;)

Sorry guys, it's up to you. No longer live in wolf country since our trapline was turned into a strip mine.

I get emotional about that, so probably better I leave the wolf subforum alone...

Last wolf: 2013 (northwest of Whitecourt, hunting deer)

Longest wolf: ~400yd with a 30-06 in the late 90's (trappers can't afford rangefinders)

There were a couple others in there as well...

Good luck...

I grew up in Idaho and like to hunt deer and elk up by Salmon. I always have a wolf tag on me. I usually see at least one or two when I am out there and it has always been while hunting on horseback and usually a ways off the beaten path. I haven't done a dedicated wolve hunt, but since I always have my hand calls on me I have done a few stands while elk and deer hunting with the hopes of calling a wolf in. Only called in coyotes, never a wolf.

I was archery elk hunting in the Uintahs with a buddy for a few years - caught two wolves on trail cameras down there and saw one while we were hiking. He was only 30 yards away and he was big! Tried to get the 10mm unholstered and get a shot off, but he bolted. Accoring to Utah fish and game there are no wolves in Utah and they didn't want to see the trail cam pictures. I don't live in Utah or hunt there much, so whatevs.

Status
Not open for further replies.