I gotta know

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmuley

With all the recent wolf hunting activity...... How many of you guys have hunted wolves? How many have killed one? Who lives in wolf country? Just trying to get a feel of the crowd here. Thanks, mtmuley

With all the recent wolf hunting activity...... How many of you guys have hunted wolves? How many have killed one? Who lives in wolf country? Just trying to get a feel of the crowd here. Thanks, mtmuley

I live in wolf country. Usually get out a few times each year. I usually see them as well (follow the elk)

Unfortunately they are smart. And have outsmarted me. Only one shot off at one in last few years. Dope was off.

I'm in South East Idaho by the way

i've hunted and trapped for wolves.
I know of 4 that have perished(Montana)
I live in Wyoming, almost surrounded by wolf habitat. (The state won't confirm them in the Bighorns, but they are there).

I accidentally shot one. :(;):) Carried that **** collar around for a week before I dropped it in the river. I could have sworn it was just a big, long legged coyote. Sure hope there is a statue of limitations in Montana.

I bet most folks will never get past a kill site and tracks. The fortitude it takes to get one with a rifle is something few will get to experience more than once or twice in a life time, less they go out purposely seeking an encounter with them.
Ya kinda ripped yer clothes off in the locker room and freaked a lot a freshman out..... I mean you did post the wolf you got. And way to go. Bet ya get a few more before it's said and done.:cool:

I accidentally shot one. :(;):) Carried that **** collar around for a week before I dropped it in the river. I could have sworn it was just a big, long legged coyote. Sure hope there is a statue of limitations in Montana.
Here is something I know about collars. Actually a few.
A "friend" was out during general season in Montana, a wolf was standing in a ranchers field, he leveled a .220 Swift on it, out the truck window. Something didn't feel right, he put the gun back in the rack. When he got back to his home, he checked his caller I.d. This was habit, he is a taxidermist.
There was a Helena Prefix on his caller I.d. He listened to his messages and one of them was a ladies voice thanking him for not shooting the wolf.
We surmised that there was an active track on that wolf via satellite and the trucks plate number was able to be made. He got very lucky.
One thing else I know, is that mostly, if the animal doesn't move within 4 hrs. A tracking scenario happens via satellite till the animal is located or the search is stopped by someone with that authority.
I used to tree cats and black bear for the state, most times they collected data, collared them and let them go. Several times we had to bump them or just let them go, not to injure them after they were darted.
I'd say you got damned lucky not to get caught.

I bet most folks will never get past a kill site and tracks. The fortitude it takes to get one with a rifle is something few will get to experience more than once or twice in a life time, less they go out purposely seeking an encounter with them.
Ya kinda ripped yer clothes off in the locker room and freaked a lot a freshman out..... I mean you did post the wolf you got. And way to go. Bet ya get a few more before it's said and done.:cool:
Trust me, I plan killing a few more. mtmuley

Status
Not open for further replies.