I’m Making The Switch

I liked what I saw in his pic of the 2019-newer one piece FP. I wonder if converting to that design is something that can be done? Maybe even as just a parts kit?

There is a china copy on ebay that isn't nearly as good as the Desh kit. If you bush the firing pin, turn the firing pin down, and rework the spring it really helps.

Get ready to have some fun, Bean!

Here's my latest one. 6BR - Savage LRP with Sharp Shooter bolt handle, in a McMillan with Criterion barrel, and
Trijicon Tenmile. Shoots in the .1s and .2s easy peasy.

6br.jpg

So I have to blame Savage. Quite some time ago, I decided my first rifle 1968 Savage 110C 22" needed new barrel. It was bit beat up. Guilty as charged. Found 24" SS Shaw barrel at Midway on stupid clearance due to little bottle of JB missing from bubble pack. Came with wrench and gauges. Took it to couple different local gunsmiths, nobody had time to do it. They all said "EZPZ" and described how to do it. Hmmm, really that easy? Can't be, its a rifle! Soooo, I took the action out of stock, placed in vise between heavy rubber conveyor belting, put wrench on nut and off it came. Yeah, I know how lucky that was now. Or was it luck? Or just the entry into the big rabbit hole? I think there is some sort of curse that kicks in once you do a Savage. Its like the old commercial; "So easy, even a Caveman can do it!". Well that was true. Or maybe in my case; "So easy, even a Sasquatch can do it?" Cleaned threads, spun barrel on with go gauge and went "perfect". At least to what I thought I knew then. Both go and no go worked as I thought? Torqued with torque ratchet from good old Harbor Freight. Cycled some brass fine, cycled some factory rounds fine, took into backyard, fired couple rounds fine. Brass looked fine. I measured brass headspace with comparator and was same as the factory barrel. Talk about luck or curse?

So now with Wheeler barrel vise bolted to work table, Wheeler Action Wrench and several builds later, I look at my old Savage 110C and say "Thanks a lot"! BTW, it shoots pretty darn good in old walnut stock.

I often wonder how much different or simpler things would be if that rifle was not a Savage?
WOW, I went through the same experience. I was scared to death I was going to screw something up. Even a caveman can do it. 😃 Thanks. 👍

I'm a fan of Savage and always have been but I always seemed to buy Remington or Winchester, a mistake on my part perhaps, when Savage made some very nice hunting rifles back in the day, not that they don't nowadays. With that said; this (picture) Mod 110 always turned my head, a beautiful rifle and I wish they'd do them again, I should have picked one up back then. Cheers

1688515658044.png

Have two Savages now. One in the Flat Back, I picked up here and have swapped barrels on it a few times. Word of caution. Make sure you are buying current as finding stock manufacturers for this old Flat Back has been challenging (you can have aftermarket inlet for you, but it is $$$). Savage has changed action screw spacing and I think manufacturers are just get tired up trying to keep up. McMillan inletted this for it, but no longer will do it. I just swapped them around and now it is sitting in a Savage 338 Lapua (same action size).

IMG_5473.jpeg

Have two Savages now. One in the Flat Back, I picked up here and have swapped barrels on it a few times. Word of caution. Make sure you are buying current as finding stock manufacturers for this old Flat Back has been challenging (you can have aftermarket inlet for you, but it is $$$). Savage has changed action screw spacing and I think manufacturers are just get tired up trying to keep up. McMillan inletted this for it, but no longer will do it. I just swapped them around and now it is sitting in a Savage 338 Lapua (same action size).

View attachment 475877
Nice, I have one flat back and 2 round backs, the L/A spacing stated the same didn't it?

For the LA, 110 yes I believe so. 5.02" ish...At least mine are.

The HS Precision this came with will also fit the flat back, so there is an option, but you have to use DBM...which is why I switched. Detachable mags are for ARs.
That's what makes the world go around, I run DBM's on everything