Csbc4fun

Just trying to plan out my path forward in this shooting endeavor. My 6.5 CM with 24" Benchmark #5 contour barrel has just crossed the 1400 round count mark. I shoot about 40 rounds a week AND one to two rounds during hunting season, depending on how steady I can get.

I have accumulated the following supplies:
200 Lapua Brass. $200
2000 CCI 450 primers $200
84,000gr H4350 $600
2000 147gr ELDMs. $750

(I have actually had the brass for the last 1000 rounds or so, but do have a spare 200 on the shelf when needed.)

Three questions…
1. Will I make it to the end of this barrel given current consumables?
2. When will that be?
3. The big one….. What am I going to do during the time it takes to put on the new barrel? (Assuming it can not be done in less than one week)

Please advise.

He claims to shoot an average of 40 rounds/week. At that pace, even if the barrel is good to 3000 rounds, that will be in 10 months. I'd start sourcing a blank and getting a spare barrel chambered now.

If I owned a rifle I shot enough to shoot the barrel out in under 2 years, I'd be using a barrel nut and keep a spare prefit on hand.

Depending on what you want and need for accuracy 3000 rounds is a pretty good area to figure for life. With how you say you are shooting it might go more as you aren't heating it up and shooting it fast. I have had my match barrels go out in 2300 rounds and then some last around 3000.

You have an action you can order shouldered prefit barrels for so I would order one in the next few months as some places take 6 month or so to get a barrel done. Some have barrel blanks in stock and then you wait for smith work.

Depending on what you want and need for accuracy 3000 rounds is a pretty good area to figure for life. With how you say you are shooting it might go more as you aren't heating it up and shooting it fast. I have had my match barrels go out in 2300 rounds and then some last around 3000.

You have an action you can order shouldered prefit barrels for so I would order one in the next few months as some places take 6 month or so to get a barrel done. Some have barrel blanks in stock and then you wait for smith work.
Guys, thank you for all the thoughtful advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will adjust my plan and get a couple quotes on a new barrel coming my way asap.

Sounds like I have the right amount of reloading supplies to get me to the end of this one. But I sure wanted to use this transition as the reason I "must" get a new rifle. The only other rifle in the safe now is a tuned up 17 HMR "Sqirrelinator".

Guys, thank you for all the thoughtful advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will adjust my plan and get a couple quotes on a new barrel coming my way asap.

Sounds like I have the right amount of reloading supplies to get me to the end of this one. But I sure wanted to use this transition as the reason I "must" get a new rifle. The only other rifle in the safe now is a tuned up 17 HMR "Sqirrelinator".

A new rifle in 6.5 or another caliber? You can just get a different barrel in another caliber if you wanted. That way you have different calibers in the same set up so no expense on different scopes, stocks etc. You might be able to get another bolt with that set up to go to a different size. On my Bighorn TL3 I can change the bolt head and I have one that has a .223 and 6.5 Creed on it. Lots of options.

PVA has good pre fit barrels. Just need an action wrench and barrel vice at home to swap them out.

Yup from my other PRS match barrels I burnt out since 2008, all around 2300 rounds, I wasn't expecting it but my last Bartlein barrel is at a little over 2900 rounds, all shot in matches, and still very accurate. I pulled it and turned the rifle into a 6 Creed as I have another in 6.5 now but kept the barrel as it still shot great. I did throw 3 Tubb TMS rounds down it at about 2600 rounds to smooth out the throat but that's it.