How do you carry your drop charts for quick access?

KQguy

I am getting ready to get back into coyote hunting in a few weeks,I want to be prepared to take 500+ yds.I know coyotes don't sit in one spot long,so I will have to range it and get prepared fast.I was thinking of writing the drop on one of my hands with a marker,and the windage on another for quick easy access.I also thought of writing it on a piece of paper and taping it to my stock.I figure I will write down the information before I go out from a software program on my PC,based on the bullet I will be using and the weather conditions for that day.Any input would be appreciated.

I type windage and elevation with number of clicks on a
piece of paper and tape them to the bell of the scope, then
I completly cover it with Scotch tape to weather proof it.

Allways zero your scope turrets so you can return to the zero
easy after making the shot ( very important for the next shot).

I use clicks instead of minutes for this,all windage is based on
10 mph cross wind ( 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock and can be adjusted
to actual based on this base line.

Elevation is in 100yrd increments making it easy to find a zero at
odd distances.

It works for me but someone else may have a better or different
way that works for them.

J E CUSTOM

I carry a laminated drop sheet for my .223 out to 400 yards in 10yard increments. It can be crumpled folded and can get wet.
It is figured in clicks and drop in inches both for elevation and windage @ 10mph Full Value.
Its foolproof if you know your distance and wind. I also have TOF listed although I have never had the time to compute the lead. I just estimate lead.

Lucas

K Q guy

Most of the time I Start out with an 22 250 .

If it one of the Days where the Yotes Huld up out of Range 300 yards our over.

That is when I bring out the 7 MM STW .

Useing the 7 MM STW you do knot need much of an Chart .

That is what Works for Me

Redbone

I carry my chart in my left pants pocket. Always. And a backup copy is in my wallet just in case I lose the one in my pocket.

I prefer to have an independent chart rather than one taped to the rifle. If need be, I can reference the chart while keeping my view towards the target instead of staring at the side of my rifle.

I think I have heard of guys taping small drop charts inside the flip up scope covers. They can look up and see the chart without loosing their cheekweld. I haven't tried it so I don't know how much you can make fit in that small area. Maybe give it a try.

I am thinking about taping one to my rangefinder,so as soon as I range the target,I can just flip it over and see the numbers.

I tape one to my stock that I can check after using the range finder and adjusting my scope. I have also taped one to the inside of my non-trigger arm that I can check without pulling my head away from the stock. (Hint, this works best with long sleeve shirts, especially if your arms were hairy!)

That's a great idea!! I wonder if you could make an armband like a quarterback wears work? I've seen them that flip open for more info too. I have no idea where to get them but I bet you could make it work pretty well. It's obviously quick to reference and water proof.

I have a laminated chart with drop in inches and MOA, and wind in inches, taped to the left sight of my stock (right handed) so I could just view it by tilting the gun a bit.

That being said, come hunting season when I shot 4 deer in 20 minutes (3 at long range) I found I had totally memorized the relevant information and was cranking back and forth without a second thought to look at the chart. Of course, I was shooting a muzzleloader so I only had to worry about 400 yards so the chart was probably shorter than what you'll need.

Drop Chart

I have one of the retractable ones from Leupold mounted to the scope. I also have one that is typed using excel and shrank it enough to fit inside the flip up scope cover. I cut it out and then placed a piece of clear packing tape over it to seal it form the elements. Its amazing how small you can type it and still read it.

For Excel--To make it easier to see alternate each yardage with Gray and white lines. Dark gray background with white letters and white background with black lettering.

I have one of those neopreem sleeves on my stock that holds spare bullets. My drop chart is laminated so I just slip under the sleeve.

In a real small font i type up the a chart with my range in standard print-drop in bold-and windage in italicies (sp?) after this i laminate it and glue it to the inside of he flip up part of the eye piece of my butler creek scope cap on the ocular end. this way if a range changes while i am on the scope i dont really have to take my eye off of the glass to find my drop, only works with a spotter who is calling ranges though. the drops on the range finder is a good idea.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.