HELP WITH LADDER/OCW

Did you clean the bore before you started this endeavor?
It sat in a safe for a loooong time, and I feel dumb admitting it, but I was so excited to shoot it, I honestly did not clean it. It did look very clean when I looked it over, now I do wish that I did thoroughly clean it before so I knew where I was starting. It's shiny now. I know, it's late

I didn't think savage built a 30" barrel. Is it from another manufacturer?

I've been wanting to buy a teslong to view the bore for fowling and barrel conditions to get better diagnosis of the results.

Edit: wow just looked it up they do make a 30" barrel.
My first parameter is left hand so it kicks a lot of specialty rifles out.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've gotten away from ladder test methods…except when determining pressure signs with a certain powder/bullet combination. I found the correct powder/bullet combo makes load development way easier. Once that's established, I back the charge weights into safe pressure ranges. Then I can fine tune with seat depth testing. This method has saved me tons of time from many different methods (including ladder tests).

What powder are you using?

If you have a printer or access to one, there are better, free targets that you can download. The 6mmBR website aggregates targets from various sites. Accurate Shooter being one of them. I've attached a good ladder test target that I downloaded from the 6BR site.

Attachments

• dotcirclesloaddev.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 79
Honestly, I've gotten away from ladder test methods…except when determining pressure signs with a certain powder/bullet combination. I found the correct powder/bullet combo makes load development way easier. Once that's established, I back the charge weights into safe pressure ranges. Then I can fine tune with seat depth testing. This method has saved me tons of time from many different methods (including ladder tests).

VARGET

Yup. Ladder to find pressure then back off to (node) flat spot in velocity and start seating depth testing and done.

What you're seeing is noise. Shoot the same test again 5 more times and you'll get different results.

Pick the charge that gives you the velocity you want, shoot 30 rounds at that charge, if you're happy stop there if not start testing big changes in seating depth with big groups or switch components.

It sat in a safe for a loooong time, and I feel dumb admitting it, but I was so excited to shoot it, I honestly did not clean it. It did look very clean when I looked it over, now I do wish that I did thoroughly clean it before so I knew where I was starting. It's shiny now. I know, it's late
Not to worry. I'm sure we've all done it (or come close to it). With a precision rifle like that I'd suggest you invest in a borescope. What the eye thinks is clean and what a borescope shows are two different stories.

Like some of the other members have said, I think more distance is a necessity. The longest range we have around here is about 300yds, but what we do have are power lines. Power lines stretch out in a straight line and are usually accompanied by a well-maintained firebreak. Find a set of those in a nice swale and you can shoot out to any distance the eye can see. My 'range' is conveniently located on a wildlife management area and I even bagged a curious coyote there one time. Pro Tip: Don't set your targets anywhere near the poles. 😉

Not to worry. I'm sure we've all done it (or come close to it). With a precision rifle like that I'd suggest you invest in a borescope. What the eye thinks is clean and what a borescope shows are two different stories.

Like some of the other members have said, I think more distance is a necessity. The longest range we have around here is about 300yds, but what we do have are power lines. Power lines stretch out in a straight line and are usually accompanied by a well-maintained firebreak. Find a set of those in a nice swale and you can shoot out to any distance the eye can see. My 'range' is conveniently located on a wildlife management area and I even bagged a curious coyote there one time. Pro Tip: Don't set your targets anywhere near the poles. 😉
Great idea!