HELP... Shots dropping off more than expected. Remington 700 .308 Hunting Rifle

I dont like zeroing off a sled. The gun doesn't recoil or react the same as shooting off a rest or bipod. I'm not saying this is the issue but it could cause your zero to be different. I would get some sandbags and shoot off that. You don't need a sled for a 308.

Then here is quite probably your problem. Never weigh and strap down a led sled, in fact, ditch the sled altogether its a design that never should have been invented... rifles and scopes are not designed to be shot locked down to resist recoil and that will affect your point of impact. If it hasn't already broken your scope ditch the led sled and rezero at 100yds using sandbags. Then fire 3 at 200yds and your drop will probably be the usual 3-4inches at most.
Ugh. I just took a look at the scope and found this.

Attachments

• 20241011_122228.jpg
    20241011_122228.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20241011_122202.jpg
    20241011_122202.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 16
So it looks like your scope moved in the mounts. I would redo scope mount and recheck off bags. Make sure the scope is not fubar.

Ugh. I just took a look at the scope and found this.
Add proper scope mounting to the problem/solution. In this case, the loose ring clamps probably saved your scope from the weighted led sled use.
You need to remount the scope with proper torques on base, and rings. Ditch the led sled and rezero off a bipod, sandbags, front rest...

I still recommend a 6inch MPBR zero for your scope choice. Should give you a dead on hold out to 300yds without worrying about holdover. You could see if you get lucky using your reticles subtensions but that takes time and ammo to evaluate and your hunt is less than a month away, most times those subtensions do not perfectly match factory ammo trajectories.

Add proper scope mounting to the problem/solution. In this case, the loose ring clamps probably saved your scope from the weighted led sled use.
You need to remount the scope with proper torques on base, and rings. Ditch the led sled and rezero off a bipod, sandbags, front rest...

I still recommend a 6inch MPBR zero for your scope choice. Should give you a dead on hold out to 300yds without worrying about holdover. You could see if you get lucky using your reticles subtensions but that takes time and ammo to evaluate and your hunt is less than a month away, most times those subtensions do not perfectly match factory ammo trajectories.
I think until his rifle gets squared away worrying about zero distance just adds more complexity and doesn't solve the original problem.

If those marks are actually cracks, your scope is damaged.
Internal damage the reticle will move during recoil, or possibly as you turn the zoom dial.

They look more like movement marks to me but can only see so much in the pics.

If those marks are actually cracks, your scope is damaged.
Internal damage the reticle will move during recoil, or possibly as you turn the zoom dial.

They look more like movement marks to me but can only see so much in the pics.
Will the minor stress cracks affect performance?