Help me choose hunting rifle for youth

Getting a barrel threaded should be no problem at all for a qualified gs. Suppressed is definitely my choice with young shooters, and I'm actually in the process of getting most of my rifles threaded that are not already because I really like shooting suppressed as well. Suppressors tamed my 28 Nosler which was a nightmare with a brake on it, absolutely deafening, all the way down to 22lr with which subsonic ammo is crazy quiet. My experience is the Tikka is probably the best action of those three, but that's just another opinion.

You mentioned "Youth", please consider length of pull as it is dependent of the person's physical size. The Tikka T3 Lite has a short length of pull and fits the smaller frame. As for caliber, you can't go wrong with the .308 or a variation such as 7mm-08. I know everyone is excited about the new and shiny, 6.5 cm, but this was developed for shooting paper and there are much better choices for hunting.
Not!!! Perhaps as good... definitely not better in the caliber range!

The camilla looks like a nice rifle but the lop is 13". A bit much for a 10 yo. I would look for something you can have an adjustable length of pull. The fit at this point is going to be the most important thing imho. If the gun doesn't fit the shooter it can make shooting uncomfortable. There are several youth rifles that comes with adjustable spacers for lop. That would be my first pick.

You mentioned "Youth", please consider length of pull as it is dependent of the person's physical size. The Tikka T3 Lite has a short length of pull and fits the smaller frame. As for caliber, you can't go wrong with the .308 or a variation such as 7mm-08. I know everyone is excited about the new and shiny, 6.5 cm, but this was developed for shooting paper and there are much better choices for hunting.
There's zero basis for that claim… 6.5 hunting bullets work just as well as 7mm or .308 hunting bullets. "Developed for paper" means it's throated for longer bullets, which allows higher SD bullets to be used. Which seems to be a good thing.

6.5x55 has been killing elk and moose for a century. Theres nothing wrong with a 6.5 bullet for hunting.

My vote would be the Vanguard. I keep threatening to buy one to put in the cabinet until my kids are old enough. Based on how well my wife's Vangaurd Camilla shoots.

I'll have to see if any stores in town have a Camilla for her to hold.

Regarding the encore, I haven't seen a new TC rifle in quite a while. At one point a few years ago I looked at a TC for myself, but decided to spend a bit more and get a Bergera instead
I hunted with a tc contender some when I was little. The only drawback I would know if is that once my dad had to follow me up with a less than ideal shot placement. If he didn't have his rifle we would probably wounded the animal but not found it. With a bolt gun he could have just taken it, worked the bolt, and been done. When I was 12 he got me a model 7 in 308win that I still hunt with today. I have 2 encores and several barrels that never leave the safe. The encores, however, are very good. If I were to buy one to piece together today I'd try to buy the frame registered as a pistol. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can legally put the rifle barrels and a stock on the pistol frame but not the other way around. (not that anyone would ever know)

If you want another option and I don't know what time frame on you're looking to have this all set up. But you can buy a Savage Axis. And stainless steel for right around $300 at Walmart order a youth Woodstock from Savage or eBay . Then if you want to cut it down to make it fit you're not out a whole lot. The two upgrades would be a too many trigger and a bolt lift kit to help in recaulking the bolt those two upgrades are $170 not sure the stock would cost but then you can always go back to a standard stock as she grows or a stock in between like a boyds at one which is adjustable but it only goes down to a 12 and 1/4 inch lop. That's what I use once I get to be about 12 or 13

Or you do this this is a Remington 788 and a 223 that I have down with 10 and 1/4-in length of pull for the southern eight-year-olds

Attachments

• IMG_20240610_124659.jpg
    IMG_20240610_124659.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 20
I bought myself a "tactical" version of the Ruger American line of rifles. It's a 6.5C with an eighteen inch barrel that is threaded for a muzzle devise of your choosing.
My Ruger came in the Magpul stock made for the Ruger American rifles in short action and long action variety.
The entire set up out the door was $699.00 without scope or ammo. The accuracy of my 6.5C with handloads is easily under one MOA and doesn't seem picky on what bullet is loaded. The eighteen inch barrel and an Omega 300 is easy to carry around the woods and when fired is ear safe for the person shooting. The recoil of the rifle is very light and even lighter with the can on it.
I believe this model or any of the Ruger Americans with a fully adjustable Magpul stock is a perfect investment for a first rifle for youngsters.
The length of pull and cheekrest is adjustable on the Magpul stock has a pleathera of attachments for all the goodies we put on our hunting rifles.

Last edited:
In addition to the WBY Camillla, the Savage 11 Lady Hunter is an excellent option geared for the ladies. It is available in .243 Win, .308 Win., 6.5 CM, and 7MM-08 Rem.
This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
Find a youth model with the adjustable
L.o.p. With winter clothing you can subtract a 1/4 to 1/2".
Look at the New Weatherby 307 .

I had her shoulder every rifle in the store that looked like it would fit her. Many of the rifles fit her properly, and she ended up choosing the Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 Creedmoor. She said it felt the most comfortable to hold, and it was the easiest for her to cycle the bolt.

Thanks again to everybody for the discussion.

I had her shoulder every rifle in the store that looked like it would fit her. Many of the rifles fit her properly, and she ended up choosing the Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 Creedmoor. She said it felt the most comfortable to hold, and it was the easiest for her to cycle the bolt.

Thanks again to everybody for the discussion.
Good luck!