Help me choose hunting rifle for youth

There are CVA single shot options for little outlay compared to encore or the ludacris H&R prices these days. I've got 4 or 5 of the CVA and one chopped down stock for kid use. They are good quality and rather accurate, but not as light as H&R (the old thin barrel versions) or refined as encore.

Of the three that you listed, the Tikka will probably fit her the best, but the Ruger American Gen2 will probably be the best for her overall due to the threading already being done. The suppressor on the rifle will do more to help her out than anything else. If you don't mind spending the extra to have the Tikka chopped and threaded, that would be the way I would go.

One that you didn't have listed but would be about perfect is the Howa Mini in 6 ARC. You can get the barreled action from Brownells (https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...-barreled-mini-actions-6mm-arc/?sku=430102218) and put it a Stocky's stock (https://stockysstocks.com/stockys-n...te-accublock-stocks-howa-1500-mini-superlite/) and you have a great little package.

The cva single shots are not bad. You can also do an ar based rifle. It's threaded the stock can be adjusted and in 6.5 grendel or 300 bo they make good kid guns. The howa mini is not a bad deal either.

I'll have to see if any stores in town have a Camilla for her to hold.

Regarding the encore, I haven't seen a new TC rifle in quite a while. At one point a few years ago I looked at a TC for myself, but decided to spend a bit more and get a Bergera instead
If you make it to great falls let me know. She can test drive the wife's

The Camilla is hands down one of the best rifles for girls and women, getting my daughter her Camilla in 6.5 Creed was the best rifle purchase I've done, hands down!! A girl or women for the most part need a completely different stock design from a man, she got it at 12 and now at 19 she's an assassin with it.
I strongly encourage getting a rifle for the female build!!

I would go with the Vanguard or tikka and have it threaded and braked if they are not threaded already. The ruger isn't bad, but I don't think it has quite the fit and finish of the other 2.

A 6.5cm even with a can on a smaller shooter might be a decent amount. A brake can help more than the can for range work. It is just louder.

I love cans, but they don't reduce the recoil as well as a good brake.

Of those three, I'd go with a Tikka. I think the drop at heel on Camilla may contribute to more felt recoil. I had a Ruger American and I felt build quality was substandard.

When I did this for my daughter I put together a Remington Mountain stainless in 270 put in a factory youth stock and used the Remington managed recoil loading.

She was sitting right beside me but I never saw the deer. She shot it all on her own. I just told to make sure it had horns before pulling the trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 45
My daughter recently turned 10, and will be going on her first deer hunt this year. I will be buying her hunting rifle this weekend, and was hoping for some input on what to buy.

I have decided to get her a 6.5 Creedmoor since she is still fairly recoil-averse.

A local gun shop has the following 3 rifles in stock in 6.5 cm:
  1. Weatherby Vanguard Compact Hunter (https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-compact-hunter/)
  2. Tikka T3X Lite Compact (I can't seem to find it on the Tikka website...)
  3. Ruger American Gen2 (https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGenII/overview.html)
As best as I can tell by reading reviews, all 3 seem to be good rifles. I'm leaning towards the Ruger American Gen2 because it comes threaded, and I plan on having her use a suppressor.

Does anybody have any recommendations / suggestions?
If she likes the Weatherby, I'd go with that. I find it easier to use with a scope as some kids have trouble getting used to lining things up through a scope.

I've shot the Ruger American and find it rough compared to the other two. Tikka is a good product, but I feel Weatherby has it outclassed. By all means, the fit is important but the one she really likes Trumps all!!!!

I have the same dilemma. I went with the Ruger and I am regretting it. I like the size and it shoots fine but it's lacking the fit and finish. I am wishing I would have gotten the weatherby Camilla. I also have a Tika for me. It's a lot better than the ruger. The ruger is not one that I would be happy to hand down. Browning also had the micro Midas that would make a nice rifle too.

I bought the Weatherby in .243 for my grandson. It is threaded from the factory but did not have a brake, when I thread the suppressor on it, it has the felt recoil of a 22. I like this little rifle to the point that I've threatened to use it myself! I also have a Ruger gen 2 in 300 BO and compared to the weatherby it is heavier and the action is not as smooth but it does come with the factory brake.
Bottom line, go with whatever fits best and your daughter likes the best.

Wife won a ruger american chambered in 243 must have been a youth model as it was just really compact. Anyway the grandson got that when he turned 10 and was just lethal with it till his sister started, last fall, she got her first deer with that same rifle as he moved to an 06 I got his dad that became a safe queen, nice to see the 06 back in action! The .243 is an excellent caliber with the proper bullet for whitetail imo. BTW, I won a youth 20 ga years ago that has broken in kids, grandkids, and nephews, I don't even know who has it now, but a nice little shotgun. I don't know that many females would outgrow a youth model anyway. Good luck with your decision, or hers! Enjoy, those are the absolute FINEST OF TIMES!

Recent Posts