Help me choose hunting rifle for youth

JMPE, when my (at the time) 12 yo small granddaughter decided she was ready for big game, I debated between 6.5 CM and 7mm-08. Since we would be hunting game up to elk and at the time Africa plans, I went with the 7mm-08 in a Tikka. She had been shooting 22lr up to 222 Remington. I had the factory stock cut to fit her.

I hand loaded light 120 grain Sierras using 60% H4895 loads (refer to Hornady's light load recommendations). Gradually increased up to her current elk load of 150 Nosler Partitions. Just turning 18, she has now harvested 2 mule deer does, a couple of Texas exotics, a hog, a nice buck antelope, and a fine black bear treed ahead of dogs (a fun but difficult hunt!) I have her booked for a Texas whitetail buck and Aoudad hunt now.

Oh yes she is now 5'7" and her shortened factory stock has long been replaced with a B&C stock.

Best of luck in your decision and have a great time with her!

Thanks for all of the comments. I greatly appreciate the help.

I had originally thought of a 7mm-08, but I can't seem to find any in town. I'm pretty sure we'll both be happy with the 6.5cm.

I'll just have to buy her another rifle as she gets older and starts hunting elk or moose :)

I'll post here with her decision after we make the purchase.

I would try to find a Camilla and see how it fits, if not then I agree with most opinions that the Tikka is a great choice, I like the Vanguard as well and the TC option is good. I have a TC Pro Hunter in 30TC which is a really good round if you use factory loads. I still have about 10 boxes so I'm set for a while. I have a 300wM barrel, 50cal bp used to have a 280 Rem barrel which was very good. Only reason I mentioned the TC is that you can make it anything you want with just a barrel, same fit, same trigger etc. I have a Tikka Ember which I upgraded a few areas, stock, trigger, bolt handle, shroud and bottom metal. Above most other considerations is fit which is why I suggest at least trying a Camilla.

My daughter recently turned 10, and will be going on her first deer hunt this year. I will be buying her hunting rifle this weekend, and was hoping for some input on what to buy.

I have decided to get her a 6.5 Creedmoor since she is still fairly recoil-averse.

A local gun shop has the following 3 rifles in stock in 6.5 cm:
  1. Weatherby Vanguard Compact Hunter (https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-compact-hunter/)
  2. Tikka T3X Lite Compact (I can't seem to find it on the Tikka website...)
  3. Ruger American Gen2 (https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGenII/overview.html)
As best as I can tell by reading reviews, all 3 seem to be good rifles. I'm leaning towards the Ruger American Gen2 because it comes threaded, and I plan on having her use a suppressor.

Does anybody have any recommendations / suggestions?
Yes, buy her one of those rifles in a 308. You can run Factory ammo Barnes 130 TTSX at 3150 FPS and very low recoil. I've done this for 3 other young ones and they have had fantastic success shooting it and hunting with it. As they grow older you can move to heavier bullets ie 150,168,178's, etc…. The 130 Barnes is good to 500 and is deadly accurate. I've seen numerous deer and 2 cow elk fall to that round. Good luck with your choice.

The Ruger American Gen 2 is a noticeable upgrade over the original. The stock is way better on the gen 2, not flimsy and has an optional shorter buttstock kit. The bolt does not sound like you are rubbing corduroy, and smoothed out pretty good after running it back and forth about a hundred times. It has a three position safety that is nice, and the AI pattern magazine works great, unlike the ones on the original. Ruger branded 5round Ai mags are only $30 and they work great too.
I put a MCarbo spring in it and the trigger is actually pretty good. It is shooting half inch groups with Hornady 129 gr Interlock ammo.
Just saying for the $530 I paid for it I am very happy.

Single shot wasnt one of his options, but short barrel single shots with short stocks are my favorite all around youth rifle. I'd rather take a kid hunting than shoot myself in most cases, so I have a bunch of youth guns in all different sizes and configurations. The single shots are always a crowd pleaser.
I know after a few trips with the kids....I thought SHOOTING MYSELF.....would have been less painful!!!🤣

I can't think of how many times when a poster writes here...these are my choices help me!! We go and offer advice on everything but their choices.....So....here I go and do the same thing...dang... Okay start with the question.... WEATHERBY VANGUARD...look no further.....OR
..you COULD spend five minutes and consider the Savage Muddy Girl.....sorry Brother...had to do it! But I think your daughter might love it

My daughter recently turned 10, and will be going on her first deer hunt this year. I will be buying her hunting rifle this weekend, and was hoping for some input on what to buy.

I have decided to get her a 6.5 Creedmoor since she is still fairly recoil-averse.

A local gun shop has the following 3 rifles in stock in 6.5 cm:
  1. Weatherby Vanguard Compact Hunter (https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-compact-hunter/)
  2. Tikka T3X Lite Compact (I can't seem to find it on the Tikka website...)
  3. Ruger American Gen2 (https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGenII/overview.html)
As best as I can tell by reading reviews, all 3 seem to be good rifles. I'm leaning towards the Ruger American Gen2 because it comes threaded, and I plan on having her use a suppressor.

All good options. I'd also consider going to a 6CM, 22CM, or the likes.
Most importantly I'd Highly recommend you start out with a suppressed rifle.
By eliminating the concussive blast, that enables kids to have the most enjoyable shooting experience & promotes the ability to focus on development of good shooting fundamentals.

Make it Fun !!

Last edited:
I can't think of how many times when a poster writes here...these are my choices help me!! We go and offer advice on everything but their choices.....So....here I go and do the same thing...dang... Okay start with the question.... WEATHERBY VANGUARD...look no further.....OR
..you COULD spend five minutes and consider the Savage Muddy Girl.....sorry Brother...had to do it! But I think your daughter might love it
Yes, but his last sentence basically kept it open.😂

You mentioned "Youth", please consider length of pull as it is dependent of the person's physical size. The Tikka T3 Lite has a short length of pull and fits the smaller frame. As for caliber, you can't go wrong with the .308 or a variation such as 7mm-08. I know everyone is excited about the new and shiny, 6.5 cm, but this was developed for shooting paper and there are much better choices for hunting.