Help me choose hunting rifle for youth

necktweaker

My daughter recently turned 10, and will be going on her first deer hunt this year. I will be buying her hunting rifle this weekend, and was hoping for some input on what to buy.

I have decided to get her a 6.5 Creedmoor since she is still fairly recoil-averse.

A local gun shop has the following 3 rifles in stock in 6.5 cm:
  1. Weatherby Vanguard Compact Hunter (https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-compact-hunter/)
  2. Tikka T3X Lite Compact (I can't seem to find it on the Tikka website...)
  3. Ruger American Gen2 (https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGenII/overview.html)
As best as I can tell by reading reviews, all 3 seem to be good rifles. I'm leaning towards the Ruger American Gen2 because it comes threaded, and I plan on having her use a suppressor.

Does anybody have any recommendations / suggestions?

At 10, I'm guessing she is probably pretty small...

I find that youth enjoyment in shooting is much more related to fit and comfort than esthetics or quality. Though balancing all 3 would make for the best heirloom option, I'd let her pick which ever feels the best to her regardless of all else.

You can worry about heirloom after passion has developed.

Don't hesitate to cut a factory stock down if needed either. I built my sons first dedicated rifle on a chassis just because I couldn't find anything else short enough for him to be comfortable. And I still hump that heavy pig to the blind for him, but it fits and he is comfortable behind it, so it works.

Steve

You could also build a hobbit rifle. For a growing kid those are fantastic choices. A TC encore frame, and 6.5 barrel, and an adjustable stock make for a lightweight high quality package

Single shot wasnt one of his options, but short barrel single shots with short stocks are my favorite all around youth rifle. I'd rather take a kid hunting than shoot myself in most cases, so I have a bunch of youth guns in all different sizes and configurations. The single shots are always a crowd pleaser.

Single shot wasnt one of his options, but short barrel single shots with short stocks are my favorite all around youth rifle. I'd rather take a kid hunting than shoot myself in most cases, so I have a bunch of youth guns in all different sizes and configurations. The single shots are always a crowd pleaser.
I know the encore is about as far from his options as a person can get but I figured I would throw the idea out there

My daughter shoots the Weatherby Camilla and absolutely loves it. She has shot alot of different rifles from full size to compact and had preferred stretching to a full size rather than the off scale compacts. The Camilla was a revelation. It is very awkward for me to shoot, but fits her like a glove. Not sure if the Vangaard version is threaded, but the Mark V is 1/2 28 I think.

I'll have to see if any stores in town have a Camilla for her to hold.

Regarding the encore, I haven't seen a new TC rifle in quite a while. At one point a few years ago I looked at a TC for myself, but decided to spend a bit more and get a Bergera instead
You do have to piece them together. Encore frames can be readily bought on gunbroker, barrels are all over with many places still making customs.

It ends up being an expensive rifle. Theres no two ways about it. But those who have built them tend to be very impressed by them.

Last edited: