Have ypu ever fallen or dropped your rifle and knocked the scope off and ruined a hunt

Wasn't a big deal but last year packing out the meat down the mountain from a buck I shot. The pack was heavy. I had rifle over shoulder. I caught a branch on the ground between my feet and stopped me dead and fell onto right side, right on rifle. I couldn't get up without taking pack off. I looked at rifle laying on ground and thought great... it has a Luepold VX6 4x24 on it. It had a gouge/scratch on the bell. I landed on it hard. I had to sling it because I was using trekking poles. I shot at target a week later. It was still zeroed. Lucky for all of you I can't remember any other scope stories 🙄

No.
Never.

I always shake my head on another forum that it's members buy, and advise buying, based almost solely on the warranty.

I've always wondered WTH people are doing?
Paraphrasing the wisdom or Tommy Boy: I can take a dump in a box and slap a sticker saying "guaranteed" on the side of it and you'll have a guaranteed piece of crap.

I had forgotten about this incident !

Got very lucky during my sheep hunt!

I meet another hunter, that like myself was on a DIY hunt in Sunlight Basin, Wy. He had a friend helping him that was very experienced and very knowledgeable about the area……that had taken a Ram just missing B&C several years before.

The friend had to go back to work leaving him alone…..so we teamed-up. The friend left him with a brand new Honda Rancher 4 wheeler to use.

My new hunt'n partner was going to take us to a saddle that his friend had shown him. We could take the Honda part of the way to to saddle. We loaded all of our gear on the Honda……his stuff up front, mine on the rear, with he and I very cozy (a bit too cozy 😁) between.

On the way up a narrow, curvy, quite steep trail in was then he told me that this was only his second time to drive a 4 wheeler. I should have gotten off then……I'm not that "bright"! ☹️

He was at least one gear too high as we attempted the steepest point so far, in a fairly tight left hand turn. The Honda "bogged", he downshifted and gassed!

The Honda reared and started a "barrel roll" to our right. I tried to quickly get off on the uphill side…..impossible because of the tight quarters plus I would to have been quite an athlete to get up and over the rolling 4 wheeler.

On the first roll, I was somewhat protected be my gear and my buddy. I got pushed, rather forcefully into the hillside by the seat ……my buddy not so fortunate. I looked up just in time to see the handlebars/tank hit him in the head/neck area. Luckily, we both were unloaded right there. Our gear, which was tied on, wasn't so fortunate.

He yelled "catch it" as it was just a few feet away begging to barrelroll at at accelerated rate.

As mentioned before, I ain't too bright. I caught the 4 wheeler, timed my grab perfectly as the rear rack was passing my face in a upward direction. I firmly grabbed it, and was immediately jerked quite aggressively from my feet. I ain't too bright…..but I very quickly determined that holding on was a good idea.

I watched the Honda barrel roll, gaining a great deal of speed while launch our gear pretty darn forcefully along the slope. The Honda came to rest about 180 to 200 yards downslope on it's wheels.

The handlebars badly bent, the electronic display destroyed, several wheels bent, grass forced between rim and tire bead (surprisingly not flat), and later found out that the frame was bent as well. The Honda was called "totaled" by Honda.

My buddy's rifle and scope badly damaged, as was his spotting scope…..he also injured his neck and shoulder. He later had to get surgery.

I was much more fortunate, no personal injuries, very minor scope damage, very minor spotting scope damage, with my metal pack frame receiving the most damage …..but still useable.

We both went home to return several days later along with his buddy to help him again. He was hurt'n pretty good, had another rifle and perhaps other new stuff. His buddy helped him get a sheep a few days later……leaving me to hunt alone.

While I was at home I checked the zero on my rifle, this was before I started carrying two scopes on a hunt. The Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8 was off a little bit @100 , otherwise, no significant damage.

About a week later, I got my sheep. My sheep is "nothing to write home about"! In fact, the taxidermist had an additional charge to keeping the "mother's milk" on the mouth of my sheep! 😜 memtb

I meet another hunter, that like myself was on a DIY hunt in Sunlight Basin, Wy. He had a friend helping him that was very experienced and very knowledgeable about the area……that had taken a Ram just missing B&C several years before.

The friend had to go back to work leaving him alone…..so we teamed-up. The friend left him with a brand new Honda Rancher 4 wheeler to use.

My new hunt'n partner was going to take us to a saddle that his friend had shown him. We could take the Honda part of the way to to saddle. We loaded all of our gear on the Honda……his stuff up front, mine on the rear, with he and I very cozy (a bit too cozy 😁) between.

On the way up a narrow, curvy, quite steep trail in was then he told me that this was only his second time to drive a 4 wheeler. I should have gotten off then……I'm not that "bright"! ☹️

He was at least one gear too high as we attempted the steepest point so far, in a fairly tight left hand turn. The Honda "bogged", he downshifted and gassed!

The Honda reared and started a "barrel roll" to our right. I tried to quickly get off on the uphill side…..impossible because of the tight quarters plus I would to have been quite an athlete to get up and over the rolling 4 wheeler.

On the first roll, I was somewhat protected be my gear and my buddy. I got pushed, rather forcefully into the hillside by the seat ……my buddy not so fortunate. I looked up just in time to see the handlebars/tank hit him in the head/neck area. Luckily, we both were unloaded right there. Our gear, which was tied on, wasn't so fortunate.

He yelled "catch it" as it was just a few feet away begging to barrelroll at at accelerated rate.

As mentioned before, I ain't too bright. I caught the 4 wheeler, timed my grab perfectly as the rear rack was passing my face in a upward direction. I firmly grabbed it, and was immediately jerked quite aggressively from my feet. I ain't too bright…..but I very quickly determined that holding on was a good idea.

I watched the Honda barrel roll, gaining a great deal of speed while launch our gear pretty darn forcefully along the slope. The Honda came to rest about 180 to 200 yards downslope on it's wheels.

The handlebars badly bent, the electronic display destroyed, several wheels bent, grass forced between rim and tire bead (surprisingly not flat), and later found out that the frame was bent as well. The Honda was called "totaled" by Honda.

My buddy's rifle and scope badly damaged, as was his spotting scope…..he also injured his neck and shoulder. He later had to get surgery.

I was much more fortunate, no personal injuries, very minor scope damage, very minor spotting scope damage, with my metal pack frame receiving the most damage …..but still useable.

We both went home to return several days later along with his buddy to help him again. He was hurt'n pretty good, had another rifle and perhaps other new stuff. His buddy helped him get a sheep a few days later……leaving me to hunt alone.

While I was at home I checked the zero on my rifle, this was before I started carrying two scopes on a hunt. The Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8 was off a little bit @100 , otherwise, no significant damage.

About a week later, I got my sheep. My sheep is "nothing to write home about"! In fact, the taxidermist had an additional charge to keeping the "mother's milk" on the mouth of my sheep! 😜 memtb
I lied. You made me remember a quad wreck I had in 2008 going down a mountain. It's too graphic to put it all into text . But buddy at bottom heard my quad barrel rolling down the mountain and turned around and saw, he jumped of his quad with out a second to spare. Slammed into his Quad and over down the mountain. My quad was totaled. I won't get into details but my rifle was in a gun boot scabbard. Two piece with locking pin. It was perfect. Not a thing happened to it and shot dead on later when checked. I had my spotting scope , etc. In box on back rack. Locked. It never opened up. If I had to guess my quad was barrel rolling at least 50 mph down mountain. It would of killed my buddy if it hit him. A Polaris 700 Sportsman. A bullet proof tank. After that I bought a Polaris 800 Razor. Thank God my quad didnt hit him and lucky for the secured gun boot to the quad with cover and locking pin.

I think it was a ewe... 😆
Relax Todd. Just a joke 😉

I assume so. Last evening of Blacktail season a few years ago, I half-heartedly rode my 4 wheeler up the logging roads above home in the rain. I saw a decent buck following a doe about 80 to a 100 yards away. Got off the quad and took what felt like a good shot, and missed. The doe looked my way. I was the only one surprised. When I acquired that Savage 99 featherweight 20 years ago, I found that it fit like a glove that I had been needing my whole life. The only miss with it until then was the time I failed to lead a running Muley on the first shot. The next two worked. Now I made sure that the crosshairs were good behind the shoulder and fired again. This brought a reaction, the doe started walking away and the buck followed. I went home. The next day I found that it was hitting a foot high at 100 yards. Must have been a bump on the 4 wheeler. Good reminder to hunt on my own 2 feet.

Last edited:
Dropped a rifle off my shoulder on two separate elk hunts. Both times were Leupold scopes with the old twist on Leupold mounts.
The first time I still got my cow tag filled even though rifle was off zero by a few inches.
The second time I stalked to 300 yds of a 6X6 bull and had a steady shot off a bipod. Clean misses on the first two shots, then he fell dead on the third. Upon inspection, I found a bullet hole in his skull. Later testing showed the rifle was off by 7 MOA.
Subsequently have ditched those mounts and have a Trijicon on my primary elk rifle, although I'll never know if it was the mounts or the scopes that got knocked off zero.

If you quit buying *** scopes, you don't have to worry about this. If you can't use the scope as a hammer and have it still be dead on, why are you risking on hunt on it?
Are they the lightest? No. Are they a superior aiming device? Yes. It doesn't matter how good the glass is on something, if it can't hold it's zero through significant abuse, it's *** scope.

In 2020 my best friend and I went on a third season rifle hunt in CO, I had a deer tag and he an elk. 2nd day on the hunt we were side hilling across a rock face, headed back to camp because some rain had blown in and it was getting dark. I lost my footing on the steep face and wet rock, slid 15 feet down the mountain, with my rifle stopping my fall. The m8 leupold 6x42 suffered some gouges on the tube, but overall looked good. Ended up not pulling the trigger on anything, but mule deer season opened up the next week here in Texas when I got home. Scouted the night before and found a mature buck and went after him the next morning. Found him again an hour after sun up, and Stalked him. Ran out of cover at 273 yards. The buck was quartering to me, so I held high on his brisket with my 7x57. Shot sailed over his back. I racked another round in, he ran about 15 yards to me and stopped, still quartering to. I held on the bottom of his brisket, and whopped him mid chest, catching the bottom of his heart. Later that day I shot the rifle on paper, we were 8" high at 100 yards!

Attachments

• IMG_5733.jpeg
    IMG_5733.jpeg
    949 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5734.jpeg
    IMG_5734.jpeg
    984.3 KB · Views: 19
If you quit buying *** scopes, you don't have to worry about this. If you can't use the scope as a hammer and have it still be dead on, why are you risking on hunt on it?
Are they the lightest? No. Are they a superior aiming device? Yes. It doesn't matter how good the glass is on something, if it can't hold it's zero through significant abuse, it's *** scope.
Some of us have to experience failure personally to come to our senses😂