Hammer Hunter in 270?

Since i had to switch to copper in CA- I moved to the Cutting Edge Bullets. They now have a 125 gr Maximus that I have used and the 140gr MTH in 270. They have the highest bcs in class and expansive properties that I never found in a Barnes.

I have recovered my first CE bullet after 23 1 shot kills in a row. It was on a near 1,000lb elk at 550 yards with a 300 RUM. It dropped the animal and stopped just short of the skin after destroying both shoulder bones into gravel. 88% weight retention.

I have two LRH shots on tape, both fell over on the spot. Consider them in your quest.

Steve and crew are out hunting through the 28th. I literally was asking him this same question last week- which Hammer for my 10 twist .270 Winchester to be used on deer out to 300 or so, and MAYBE as a backup to my .300winmag for elk at similar distance next year. After a couple of PMs with him, I placed an order for some 117gr Hammer Hunters.
How much do they cost?

Are Hammers designed for a pass through ?
Yes. They expand kind of like the Cutting Edge bullets, where the petals break off and the bullet shank continues on.

Here a couple of expanded bullets from some testing I did a while back. Impact velocities were all between 1800-2000 fps.
FRH9VAo.jpg

eEOD4io.jpg

uDEI2eD.jpg

TxTS6NR.jpg

I have more pics somewhere of a couple more of the various Hammers in 308, 338 and 375 as well, but they all behave pretty much the same.

What kinds velocity are people getting with the 117 and 126 in a 270 wsm or 270win?and powder are people using?

I believe the 270 WSM was somewhere around 3400-3500 fps with the 117s.

I understand that these are killer bullets. But sort of looks like that's gonna leave a fairly small exit wound as compared to a few others that make a larger mushroom. I want to understand why the pedals break off by design.

I have been a machinist for over 40 years. I have cut 1000's of bars of every kind of stock. I'll tell you every bar is NOT the same! There are differences in each one from the next There are even differences end to end in the same bar!

Last edited:
I have been a machinist for over 40 years. I have cut 1000's of bars of every kind of stock. I'll tell you every bar is NOT the same! There are differences in each one from the next There are even differences end to end in the same bar!
That's why I hesitate jumping on the Mono bullet bus. I don't think they have it worked out yet. They can't control how the metal is mixed or rolled at the smelters.

You are correct in they are only consistent as the metal supplier is. We also have differences in cup and core the same way. I think it is great that people keep striving for the "perfect" bullet or we would still be shooting round ball.

....I'll tell you every bar is NOT the same! There are differences in each one from the next There are even differences end to end in the same bar!...

I abandoned mono's for the same reason. So far Steve, and Brian are the only ones willing to even discuss the issue. Having seen the volume of rejected stock that failed to measure up, get sold at recycle prices, at significant loss, I'm very comfortable saying the consistency from Hammer is the best I've seen from any bullet maker. If there is a bullet you'd be interested in trading Hammers for I'll take a loss on what's on my shelf.

Absolutely. Copper has surprisingly variable mechanical properties. It's highly susceptible to work hardening - tensile strength can vary 2:1 depending on how it is drawn.

Yield strength is even more variable, 7:1 in some cases depending on process. That's more than the difference between mild steel and hardened steel!

Tricky stuff to work with and obtain consistent, engineerable results, even if the source is high purity/low inclusion.

A lot of this can be mitigated by careful thermal processing, but how many bullet manufacturers insist on this?

Recent Posts