Hammer bullets

To reiterate since we're way long in this thread. I was skeptical, but was intrigued by the new design. Spent many hours reading the hammertime forum and was blown away by the expertise of the contributors on the forum. I've reloaded for any years but after spending time on the forum felt like an infant. I never experienced such a collection of expertise and practical experience delivered by the members with such friendliness and support. Never an insult or any type of degrading comment even if my questions seemed stupid for someone experienced. I've since tried the bullets and have never had such success with my shooting. Only paper and chrono so far but really looking to putting some meat in the freezer shortly.

Yes…I have several faster…..just waiting for season to open!!
I can load my 220 swift to 4400 fps with the 40 grain cutting edge mono. I'd like to see what that would do on a pig or deer. Probably a pig. I've got more respect for a deer but honestly at close range I think that little pill into the lungs would be lethal.

To reiterate since we're way long in this thread. I was skeptical, but was intrigued by the new design. Spent many hours reading the hammertime forum and was blown away by the expertise of the contributors on the forum. I've reloaded for any years but after spending time on the forum felt like an infant. I never experienced such a collection of expertise and practical experience delivered by the members with such friendliness and support. Never an insult or any type of degrading comment even if my questions seemed stupid for someone experienced. I've since tried the bullets and have never had such success with my shooting. Only paper and chrono so far but really looking to putting some meat in the freezer shortly.
Yep. They say you are the average of your circle of friends. So I'm tryin to bring my average up by hangin around with the hammer folks.
GREAT bunch of folks.

Reports require fast twist for hammer bullets. Caution reads: Be sure twist is fast enough. So I guess I have to sell my rifles to use Hammer bullets. Ie. Sell 3006 in 10" and buy 9" twist. Really?
If you're looking to stretch it out to its maximum effective range, there would possibly be better options. However if you want to have predictable kills with impact velocities at 1800fps and above, Hammers are a great choice. Don't be afraid to run light for caliber in your 06 with them. Lasers that kill light a lightning bolt.

Actually I did a few years ago out of curiosity. Bought a box of 30 caliber and 270 bullets. The 30 caliber 165 gr Power Hammers did OK, accuracy wise but no better than the Noslers or Sierras that I normally use. In the 270 tried 124gr Hammer Hunters. In this case in my Tikka T3x with a 1/10 twist did not shoot as well as 130 or 140 gr Nosler Partitions. With the Hammer 124 gr Groups opened up from 0.60 MOA with the Noslers to 1.2 to 1.3 MOA. Price wise about the same as the Noslers.

I was not impressed enough to give them a try hunting, only shot targets with them.

Since then, I have acquired a Winchester XPR in 6.8 Western with a 1/8 twist. This rifle may take to Hammers, but that is yet to be seen.
The 117's out out the 270 is hard to beat. I'm curious why so many think they need to go heavy. It's not necessary with Hammers.

Recent Posts